Florida QB recruit bails because NIL deal doesn't come through | The Boneyard

Florida QB recruit bails because NIL deal doesn't come through

Reaction Score
This is a football story, but I'm sure it will happen with basketball.

Florida's QB recruit, Jaden Rashada, is leaving UF before getting there. The reason given is that he signed an NIL deal with the Gator Collective for $13mm, but the financial backing fell through. Here is the article. Reports: UF QB commit Rashada wants release

I don't know enough about the new NIL rules to analyze the situation, but this seems like a natural progression (not in a good way). Name, Image and Likeness, seems to mean that you are paid for the use of your NIL. These collectives (which I know UConn has) really just seem to be ways to pay the players. I mean, I guess it would be hard to have a rule that says someone can't hire Jaden to take a picture for their Facebook page and pay him $13mm for that Image.

I also think the NIL was supposed to be separate from the recruiting. So, I'd think Rashada has a potential claim against the collective, but he's still signed with UF. But, again, there seems to be rules that are not being remotely enforced. He can transfer once without sitting (don't know if that counts if he never showed up), but it seems like tons of players are transferring multiple times without sitting. I think the Rice QB (most recently at WVU) is on his fourth college.

I'm not judging either way. It seems fair for players to be able to profit, just like a young actor could. And I'm not sure what kind of rules you could put in place to stop NIL from just becoming pay-to-play. But I think they need to start enforcing the transfer rules. Crazy times.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I have absolutely no problem with NIL, but the NCAA was clear that it couldn’t be used as a recruiting tool to buy players. It clearly was here. Florida clearly brought him in (or he intended to go) because of a prearranged financial deal.

However, Florida and the SEC are cash cows for the NCAA so there is no doubt no investigation or disciplinary action will come of this.

Instead, a school like Eastern Michigan or San Jose State will soon “be under investigation” for violating NIL rules with recruits. Lmao.

Reaction Score
Strange and crazy times indeed. Chuck broke it down really well and this is some big time money and will only get bigger. Sign of the times and that Rice qb playing for 4 schools is crazy.

Reaction Score
Over 3 million a year for a kid who is no sure thing to work out is a heck of a risk. Not surprising the funding fell through.

Reaction Score
How do you play with jealous teammates? Sure you have bag, but kids do get envious.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
i don't see this as a sustainable model, and boosters are going to back off after a couple of years of shelling out money for unproven kids. What happens if this kid did show up, and can't play his way onto the field? Is the NIL $ guaranteed, or year-to-year?

Reaction Score
Pre NIL I thought they should be able to get paid. (Still do) Although I also always looked at them as college kids & tried to be less critical of them accordingly.

These kids are now professionals making this kind of money. The scrutiny & kid excuse has gone out the door for me.

Reaction Score
If a lineman is making the QB better then why isn't/can't the line man be compensated? Sure its not glorious, but still. Let the star get their bag, but somehow let others too.

Perhaps something like a percentage of NIL set aside in a team pool (any sport) to be shared. Basketball, Baseball, etc.. is a 'team' sport. Go all the way with this.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
@Kitaman - I wonder if that would work better, no individual NIL (or maybe some cap) but a team pool that is split evenly. Something like that.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the economics of a deal like this. How would one recoup a $13 mill investment in a college kid?
Yeah I don't either. Where many ADs run a deficit, it's not getting paid back through there. Even if it is, how much can one player be attributed to the increased profitability of that AD? We're talking about $13M for the 6th best QB in the class here too - not like it's a generational can't miss talent

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If a lineman is making the QB better then why isn't/can't the line man be compensated? Sure its not glorious, but still. Let the star get their bag, but somehow let others too.

Perhaps something like a percentage of NIL set aside in a team pool (any sport) to be shared. Basketball, Baseball, etc.. is a 'team' sport. Go all the way with this.
Texas offensive linemen offered $50,000 annual NIL deal - Sports Illustrated not $13 million, but not a bad "salary" for a college kid either...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is making me wonder how many kids sign with the promise of money down the line, for that money to never come.

If you think about it, there’s nothing holding these people accountable if they wanna lie to get these kids on their campuses. I doubt these donors are signing legally binding contracts, it’s all probably a gentleman’s agreement. Years 2 and 3 of these “agreements” probably get thrown out if the kid doesn’t play up to their standard, and how’s the kid supposed to argue if he’s really not earning that huge salary?

Think something similar happened with Fardaws Amiaq at Texas Tech this year, but it got resolved after he threatened to leave. Bet we’ll see a lot more sooner than later.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is making me wonder how many kids sign with the promise of money down the line, for that money to never come.

If you think about it, there’s nothing holding these people accountable if they wanna lie to get these kids on their campuses. I doubt these donors are signing legally binding contracts, it’s all probably a gentleman’s agreement. Years 2 and 3 of these “agreements” probably get thrown out if the kid doesn’t play up to their standard, and how’s the kid supposed to argue if he’s really not earning that huge salary?

Think something similar happened with Fardaws Amiaq at Texas Tech this year, but it got resolved after he threatened to leave. Bet we’ll see a lot more sooner than later.
It’s happening all over college football don’t hear about it as much in college basketball. But if a kid was really concerned about the money he could just go to the G League.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Of course it's all about playing the players. Which is why the Women's team will never fade away, not going to get more money elsewhere

They'll make more money here than in the WNBA

Bodes well for non one and done players / programs

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Be damned with a place to play before getting to the NFL - it's all about the money
I say to this kid - adios- find a job that will pay you that kind of money before you get to the NFL
I don't mind kids getting some cash for spending but that kind of money???
That's insipid

Reaction Score
Be damned with a place to play before getting to the NFL - it's all about the money
I say to this kid - adios- find a job that will pay you that kind of money before you get to the NFL
I don't mind kids getting some cash for spending but that kind of money???
That's insipid
you keep using that word tells GIF

Also, I thought you like the free market?

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't either. Where many ADs run a deficit, it's not getting paid back through there. Even if it is, how much can one player be attributed to the increased profitability of that AD? We're talking about $13M for the 6th best QB in the class here too - not like it's a generational can't miss talent
The NIL is not funded by the school. It's a "collective" made up of alums and such....

Reaction Score
The drama around this kid has been incredible. First he was expected to go to Florida. Then he committed to Miami and Florida people were saying he was going to get some 9 million dollar deal, which is why he flipped. They were saying the NCAA should look into it, but then he goes back to Florida and they aren't bitching about money being an issue anymore. And now this. I don't know if these numbers are right, or why he would command that much. If he is, what the hell are other top QB's getting?

Reaction Score
The drama around this kid has been incredible. First he was expected to go to Florida. Then he committed to Miami and Florida people were saying he was going to get some 9 million dollar deal, which is why he flipped. They were saying the NCAA should look into it, but then he goes back to Florida and they aren't bitching about money being an issue anymore. And now this. I don't know if these numbers are right, or why he would command that much. If he is, what the hell are other top QB's getting?
Is Arch Manning going to make more than his uncles, while still in college??

Reaction Score
It’s happening all over college football don’t hear about it as much in college basketball. But if a kid was really concerned about the money he could just go to the G League.
Look up Isaiah Wong of Miami for one sizeable example of a basketball player's demands for money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am all for the players getting money from NIL, but there seems to be so many problems looming here. On the bright side, maybe the crazy college facility spending will dry up now. Players will be attracted by "straight cash" instead of being attracted by super nice weight/team facilities.

Reaction Score
The NIL is not funded by the school. It's a "collective" made up of alums and such....

Right I’m talking about the ROI of the investment made by the alum given the hypothetical increase in profitability for the AD (quantifiably ticket sales, non-quantifiably public perception of having a better team). That math ain’t mathing.

That being said if you have that much money to throw around you probably don’t care if your “investment” pays off in dollars and cents to the AD - to you the payback is clout and soft power. I don’t know the tax implications of this to the donor, but maybe it can be treated as a donation and form of tax evasion for the ultra rich?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom