Florida Lobbying Big XII about UCF and USF again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida Lobbying Big XII about UCF and USF again

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is caught in a conundrum...

Too small of a footprint for a network....while the market forces won't pay for expansion.

I could see Oklahoma joining Nebraska and Iowa in the Big Ten West...and could see Texas joining A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU in the SEC West.

This is only my opinion, but the last thing I see Texas doing is joining the SEC. With Texas' ego, they view the SEC as below them in so many ways. Tucking their tail between their legs and following A&M, mingling with the likes of Ole Miss, Miss St and having to sink to the perceived SEC cheating ways are just a few.

If there is movement in the next 4-6 years, I think Texas would go to the Big10 or PAC. Oklahoma could go to any conference but I think it's the Big10 (if the Big10 would admit them) or SEC.

Reaction Score
Here's the reality. The only thing wrong with the Big 12 right now is weak Texas football. When that changes, and it will, other schools will be envious of the Big 12. Why? The B12 has the best setup with 10 teams as they are the only conference that plays a true round robin format in football and basketball.

The problem is that Texas football has been weak far more often than strong since the mid 70s. They'd occasionally have a "breakout" season and then drift back into mediocrity and then fire some coaches and start the cycle all over again. They broke the cycle with a pretty impressive run from 2004-2009 on the backs of Simple Vince and Colt McCoy but then drifted back down to where they were previously. That 2004-2009 run is looking like the exception for Texas football rather than the rule.

Reaction Score
This is only my opinion, but the last thing I see Texas doing is joining the SEC. With Texas' ego, they view the SEC as below them in so many ways. Tucking their tail between their legs and following A&M, mingling with the likes of Ole Miss, Miss St and having to sink to the perceived SEC cheating ways are just a few.

If there is movement in the next 4-6 years, I think Texas would go to the Big10 or PAC. Oklahoma could go to any conference but I think it's the Big10 (if the Big10 would admit them) or SEC.
If Texas is going anywhere it'll be to the PAC 12, and they'll take Oklahoma with them. Not tomorrow though. Lol

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is caught in a conundrum...

Too small of a footprint for a network....while the market forces won't pay for expansion.

I could see Oklahoma joining Nebraska and Iowa in the Big Ten West...and could see Texas joining A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU in the SEC West.
Texas would probably go to the Pac-12 before the SEC. You serious?

dayooper

Reaction Score
If Texas is going anywhere it'll be to the PAC 12, and they'll take Oklahoma with them. Not tomorrow though. Lol

Why is it the PAC? Of course it's a possibility, but it's not a forgone conclusion. The Big10 gives them more exposure on the East Coast with stronger support. There is a reason why the Big10 and SEC got laid like they did, they have great support for their brands, more so than the PAC has.

The time for the next big upheaval is 2022-2024. All three of the Big10, Big12 and PAC contracts are up and the potential to increase the exposure of the big brands of each conference will be there. Who knows what it will be, but I think something will happen around that time.

Reaction Score

You may be right...I could see Texas wanting to dominate what they must perceive as a weak Big Ten West....rather than having to slog through the SEC West led by Alabama and LSU.

Reaction Score
Why is it the PAC? Of course it's a possibility, but it's not a forgone conclusion. The Big10 gives them more exposure on the East Coast with stronger support. There is a reason why the Big10 and SEC got laid like they did, they have great support for their brands, more so than the PAC has.

The time for the next big upheaval is 2022-2024. All three of the Big10, Big12 and PAC contracts are up and the potential to increase the exposure of the big brands of each conference will be there. Who knows what it will be, but I think something will happen around that time.
Less of a power struggle in the Pac-12. Imagine Texas going up against the egos of the Big 10. UT is enormously powerful. Plus, the Pac-12 needs help more. The western US is also going to keep developing and growing.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Less of a power struggle in the Pac-12. Imagine Texas going up against the egos of the Big 10. UT is enormously powerful. Plus, the Pac-12 needs help more. The western US is also going to keep developing and growing.

You don't think USC, Stanford and UCLA don't have egos? The Western US may be growing, but they are caring less and less about college football in particular and college sports in general.

Reaction Score
You don't think USC, Stanford and UCLA don't have egos? The Western US may be growing, but they are caring less and less about college football in particular and college sports in general.
Didn't the western US do pretty good in March Madness last year? I mean Gonzaga, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA. In football, 2017 was a down year, but in 2016 the western US placed 6 or 7 teams in the final AP top 25, with two finishing 3 and 4, IIRC. Doesn't strike me as a region caring less and less about college sports.

Reaction Score
I am sure they do. But even going by what you said, UT would face less resistance (and egos) in the Pac-12 then in the Big 10 to do whatever behooves them. UT just has too much power for a flagship state school, compared to others. It's unreal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am sure they do. But even going by what you said, UT would face less resistance (and egos) in the Pac-12 then in the Big 10 to do whatever behooves them. UT just has too much power for a flagship state school, compared to others. It's unreal.

Not compared to UCLA they don't. That Texas stuff won't fly in California. I think it failed the first time for the same reasons it will continue to fail.

Meanwhile, despite the network, the BigXII teams mostly earn more than the Pac schools, because they retain T3 rights. I don't think this expansion is likely. If anything, the Pac Network will go the way of the dodo. It was a bad idea in a region where college sports aren't all that popular really.

The Big XII teams seem content to wait out 2024, and see where the chips fall.

Reaction Score
Well, then I guess we can also consider Texas to the ACC a possibility. Or the Big 12 just continues on, as if nothing has happened.

Reaction Score
I think it would take a hell of a lot of upheaval for Texas to end up in The B1G, but I see no scenario where they would ever go to The SEC and be perceived as following A&M's Lead. That is completely unacceptable to the powerbrokers in Austin.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Didn't the western US do pretty good in March Madness last year? I mean Gonzaga, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA. In football, 2017 was a down year, but in 2016 the western US placed 6 or 7 teams in the final AP top 25, with two finishing 3 and 4, IIRC. Doesn't strike me as a region caring less and less about college sports.

Sure they did, but what were the ratings? Cali likes many different things and college sports is declining in viewership and ratings out west. Wins and losses mean something, but so does viewership and PAC viewership seems to be.

Could Texas go? Absolutely they could. People seem to think it's a forgone conclusion, but it's far from it.

Reaction Score

Exactly, Texas is so used to being the big fish in the shallow pond, that I don't think their institutional culture could deal with schools that don't tug the forelock for them. The California schools and Washington are going to be neither impressed nor intimidated by UT, athletically or academically. The same thing would happen in the B!G. I think UT, deep down, does realize that, which is why their schemes always seem to involve bringing along a group of schools dependent upon UT and willing to act as a subservient voting block.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Exactly, Texas is so used to being the big fish in the shallow pond, that I don't think their institutional culture could deal with schools that don't tug the forelock for them. The California schools and Washington are going to be neither impressed nor intimidated by UT, athletically or academically. The same thing would happen in the B!G. I think UT, deep down, does realize that, which is why their schemes always seem to involve bringing along a group of schools dependent upon UT and willing to act as a subservient voting block.

Absolutely could happen. The only thing I don't see happening is UT going to the SEC for a myriad of reasons, including not wanting to tuck their tail between their legs and follow A&M.

The PAC has many advantages in this game, great universities that are insulated by geography and the most populous state being the formost. Their big issue is that the population is watching them less and less. Whether it's East Coast bias or diverse interest among their population, they are the least viewed. According to Sports Media Watch, The PAC had no games in the top 10 most viewed games of the year and their conference championship game only had 280,000 more viewers than your own AAC. They had around 2,000,000 less than the ACC and Big12 and 9,000,000 less than the Big10 and SEC. 2016 was better (they were 3rd in CCG ratings). 2015 was right back down by the AAC.

Even worse is the regular season viewership. In 2017, they had a total of 5 games rated in the weekly top 5, and three of those games were non conference games. 2016 had a total of six, with three again being non conference games. 2015 was even worse with three in the weekly top five with two of those games being in non conference. Many of those weeks they didn't even come close. In fact, they were the only P5 school that wasn't in the weekly top five. The other schools, gave or a take a couple of weeks, had a game in the top five. That's 13 games in 39 weeks they had a top five most viewed game. To top if off, the highest weekly rated was third!

There are big benefits for Texas moving to the PAC, but there are some big negatives too. All I'm saying is that Texas to the PAC isn't a slam dunk like some are saying.

Reaction Score
There is one problem with OK to the PAC. Last time it was discussed, there was a requirement to take OK State along with them. That was one of the nails that killed it.

Reaction Score
There is one problem with OK to the PAC. Last time it was discussed, there was a requirement to take OK State along with them. That was one of the nails that killed it.

I have thought that the ideal solution for the Big 12 and the Pac 12 was a 16 team conference:

Old Pac Schools: USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.
The other schools: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado, Utah

Two cross over games each year so each "other school" plays 1 California school and one Northwest team every year. Conference football championship in Las Vegas.

Reaction Score
I have thought that the ideal solution for the Big 12 and the Pac 12 was a 16 team conference:

Old Pac Schools: USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, Washington St.
The other schools: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Arizona, Arizona St., Colorado, Utah

Two cross over games each year so each "other school" plays 1 California school and one Northwest team every year. Conference football championship in Las Vegas.
Kansas?

Reaction Score
Kansas?

Stays with the Big 12 and rebuilds with AAC teams. Remember, this almost happened when Kansas was rumored to be going to the Big East during the last Pac12 expansion rumors.

Reaction Score

That would make sense, and it would just about kill the big 12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom