Florida blogger's take on NCAA issues, including football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida blogger's take on NCAA issues, including football

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just like the common flu its pretty obvious the virus isn't transmitted as easily in warmer weather. There are also many who believe that Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of death so being out in the sun is a good thing. Vitamin D deficiency would explain why this is hitting the black community so hard since darker skin is slower to produce vitamin D. It's a national disgrace that vitamin D supplements aren't being recommended. Put Bob Diaco on the President's Covid committee.

I've seen plenty of articles and info out there talking about healthy Vitamin D levels helping mitigate the severity of the corona. I take a one a day multivitamin and it's 125% of recommended levels. It's readily available for anyone who wants it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Didn’t realize it was that high

Towards the beginning of the large scale death counts in mid-March there wasn't as much info. But as of at least a month ago reports from all over the country have shown nursing homes to be death sentences. It's one of the most reassuring pieces of data I've seen- It's consistent for urban or rural, north/south, and most other variables. That's why I'd rather see most people go back to work and put resources in to patients and staff at these facilities.

Reaction Score

The counting changed in New York in April...due to CDC change in reporting methodology...it changed in most states.
Right... did Florida make the change or is it still reporting only Florida resident deaths w/ confirmed positive tests? I'm not that close to it, I only remember reading that Florida has a very narrow reporting focus and that was the genesis of my original comment.

From April 23rd: >>Florida, which currently reports 960 deaths, has continued to report only fatalities with a confirmed positive test for COVID-19, according to a statement from the Florida State Emergency Operations Center. The agency told MedPage Today that its counting method is subject to change, and it is up to Florida County Medical Examiners to attribute cause of death.<<

Reaction Score
Interesting you'd call Florida's Governor a dope. Unless I'm missing something, it's been said his policies have lead to a very low death rate from the virus in the state with the "oldest" population among all states. Are there other actions he took or failed to take which have made the situation worse than it should have been in the state?

Or are you saying he just sat back and let others make the decisions on actions to take and he just got lucky? Is it untrue that he mobilized teams of National Guard members who were dispatched to long term care facilities to do testing and other actions to assist the elderly housed in those facilities?

If I understood correctly, he closed nursing homes and assisted living centers to outsiders, including family members, and in doing so may have prevented the massive numbers of deaths experienced in states run by "smart" governors like Cuomo, Wolfe and others. As of a few days ago, Florida had 1827 deaths, of which 650 were nursing home residents (35.6%).
The overall death rate for the state is 0.000087 or 87 per million residents.

Here's the 10 states where over 60% of the virus deaths were nursing home residents and, by the way, you may be on to something about the northerners mocking Florida's policies when you look at the list:
81.6% Minnesota
77.1% New Hampshire
74.9% Rhode Island
68.6% Pennsylvania
67.8% Delaware
66.3% Nebraska
61.5% Washington
60.2% Massachusetts
60.2% Oregon
60.1% Maryland

Here's how one governor managed the safety and welfare of the elderly in his state:

Even a broken clock.... well you know the rest.

You were the clown who said this was all a hoax up front.

Go away.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Right... did Florida make the change or is it still reporting only Florida resident deaths w/ confirmed positive tests? I'm not that close to it, I only remember reading that Florida has a very narrow reporting focus and that was the genesis of my original comment.

From April 23rd: >>Florida, which currently reports 960 deaths, has continued to report only fatalities with a confirmed positive test for COVID-19, according to a statement from the Florida State Emergency Operations Center. The agency told MedPage Today that its counting method is subject to change, and it is up to Florida County Medical Examiners to attribute cause of death.<<

Florida only counts state residents for deaths but counts out of state cases and hospitalizations.

Reaction Score
As one who works in the Emergency Management and Public Safety space around the country, all I can say is you would be disgusted and shocked by how broken the system is and how ill equipped our supposed leaders are to respond with any plan beyond “what do we do today?”

Reaction Score

... but since I always cross-reference CNN articles when something’s catches my interest (didn't care about testing/positives just was looking @ deaths):

The difference in the Medical Examiners' numbers and those of the Dept of Health differ by about 10% because of how each count deaths of seasonal residents and out of state visitors who died in the state. The Health Dept says they want to avoid double counting, as do most states, so if an out of state resident or seasonal resident dies in FL from this virus they will not count them as a FL death.
The other thing most may not know is the CDC gave guidance to local health departments to count any death as a virus death if it's even suspected that the patient may have had the virus even though they weren't tested for it. That probably affected early death counts before testing was available. Thus, an 88 year old, obese, diabetic, with COPD and congestive heart failure would have been counted as a Covid-19 death under CDC guidelines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom