Florida blogger's take on NCAA issues, including football | The Boneyard

Florida blogger's take on NCAA issues, including football

Reaction Score
The Southeastern Conference has made it abundantly clear that it won't be affected by the decisions of other conferences. If the only 14 schools in the country playing college football this season are in that league, then so be it.

"The NCAA has no jurisdiction or decision-making power for how we are going to play college football this season at the FBS level," Texas Tech A.D. Kirby Hocutt said, according to reports. "That decision-making process rests with the conference offices, commissioners and presidents that lead our schools."

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby: "They (the NCAA) can't mandate when we go back or determine exactly when that happens. They can just give us the best advice they can provide, based upon scientists and medical information."

And Florida's governor has invited sports to Florida:

"All these professional sports are going to be welcomed in Florida, That may not be the case in every other state in this country, as we've seen. So what I would tell commissioners of leagues is, if you have a team in area where they just won't let them operate, we'll find a place for you here in the state of Florida."

Reaction Score
UN-BEE-FREAKING-LIEVABLE. The governor of Florida Is inviting other schools to come to the state to play. If anyone takes him up on it it will just prove what a joke “college“sports have become

Reaction Score
UN-BEE-FREAKING-LIEVABLE. The governor of Florida Is inviting other schools to come to the state to play. If anyone takes him up on it it will just prove what a joke “college“sports have become

He is inviting pro teams...and I'd bet that is an indication of where he will go with opening up Florida's college ball.

Reaction Score
Florida has handled Covid well. All the northerners mocking us were unaware of the effort being put in by local municipalities. The governor is a dope. Fortunately, many smart people live in Florida, believe it or not. We took it seriously and continue to.

Reaction Score
Florida has handled Covid well. All the northerners mocking us were unaware of the effort being put in by local municipalities. The governor is a dope. Fortunately, many smart people live in Florida, believe it or not. We took it seriously and continue to.
There's a good amount of correlational evidence that outdoor activity is much safer than previously thought. Some research suggests UV rays may inhibit the growth and spread of the virus as well. Florida has a lot of both of those two things in addition to a large amount of comfortable open space outside. It's a recipe that appears to allow for less spread.

Reaction Score

Interesting you'd call Florida's Governor a dope. Unless I'm missing something, it's been said his policies have lead to a very low death rate from the virus in the state with the "oldest" population among all states. Are there other actions he took or failed to take which have made the situation worse than it should have been in the state?

Or are you saying he just sat back and let others make the decisions on actions to take and he just got lucky? Is it untrue that he mobilized teams of National Guard members who were dispatched to long term care facilities to do testing and other actions to assist the elderly housed in those facilities?

If I understood correctly, he closed nursing homes and assisted living centers to outsiders, including family members, and in doing so may have prevented the massive numbers of deaths experienced in states run by "smart" governors like Cuomo, Wolfe and others. As of a few days ago, Florida had 1827 deaths, of which 650 were nursing home residents (35.6%).
The overall death rate for the state is 0.000087 or 87 per million residents.

Here's the 10 states where over 60% of the virus deaths were nursing home residents and, by the way, you may be on to something about the northerners mocking Florida's policies when you look at the list:
81.6% Minnesota
77.1% New Hampshire
74.9% Rhode Island
68.6% Pennsylvania
67.8% Delaware
66.3% Nebraska
61.5% Washington
60.2% Massachusetts
60.2% Oregon
60.1% Maryland

Here's how one governor managed the safety and welfare of the elderly in his state:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I didn't know about all of the ways the virus was being handled in FL so thanks for those who shared that. It does seem to be more under control, as much as that term can be used with this virus, than in other areas.

That being said, I'd be really interested to see what happens if all of this sports talk comes to fruition. The state did great stuff with THEIR residents. Now they're inviting teams from all over, as well as players and staff, to come to their state. If the SEC starts the season, which is pretty much a 99% given, what will happen when teams from harder hit areas come? LSU comes to mind as LA was hit hard.

This is the uncharted part of this. The states that seem to have things in place and inline currently, are thinking it's good to open their doors and let sports teams in. It will be interesting to see what happens with that. We have to start somewhere so why not start in a place where it seems that the virus has been handled well.

Reaction Score
Interesting you'd call Florida's Governor a dope. Unless I'm missing something, it's been said his policies have lead to a very low death rate from the virus in the state with the "oldest" population among all states. Are there other actions he took or failed to take which have made the situation worse than it should have been in the state?

Or are you saying he just sat back and let others make the decisions on actions to take and he just got lucky? Is it untrue that he mobilized teams of National Guard members who were dispatched to long term care facilities to do testing and other actions to assist the elderly housed in those facilities?

If I understood correctly, he closed nursing homes and assisted living centers to outsiders, including family members, and in doing so may have prevented the massive numbers of deaths experienced in states run by "smart" governors like Cuomo, Wolfe and others. As of a few days ago, Florida had 1827 deaths, of which 650 were nursing home residents (35.6%).
The overall death rate for the state is 0.000087 or 87 per million residents.

Here's the 10 states where over 60% of the virus deaths were nursing home residents and, by the way, you may be on to something about the northerners mocking Florida's policies when you look at the list:
81.6% Minnesota
77.1% New Hampshire
74.9% Rhode Island
68.6% Pennsylvania
67.8% Delaware
66.3% Nebraska
61.5% Washington
60.2% Massachusetts
60.2% Oregon
60.1% Maryland

Here's how one governor managed the safety and welfare of the elderly in his state:
CT Post is reporting that CT is at the 70% mark. I was stunned when I saw that.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
DeSantis is a dope.
As I watched the news each day, I too thought the governor was a dope. Mostly related to his lack of handling regarding the beaches and allowing churches to offer services when he closed other things.
Also came away with a lower opinion of Georgia. Can't remember why.

Reaction Score
As I watched the news each day, I too thought the governor was a dope. Mostly related to his lack of handling regarding the beaches and allowing churches to offer services when he closed other things.
Also came away with a lower opinion of Georgia. Can't remember why.

Probably because the Georgia governor is an even bigger dope.

Reaction Score
Florida and Georgia governors "lack of handling"...

1589549918324.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It isn't the current governor responsible re unemployment compensation issues.

I know something about the past history. I lobbied the Florida Legislature re the state's unemployment insurance law in the 90's...I lobbied all parties to move the weekly benefit. I was Florida's Unemployment Compensation's Legislative Liaison for the Department of Labor for five years. It has been 22 years since the benefit was raised $25 to $275 per week maximum.

Florida, even back in the 90's, had the fewest state employees per capita of the 50 states. And this was under Lawton Chiles (D)...Florida, from Bob Graham on, has always maintained a very frugal state workforce...fewer employees per capita at pay/benefit levels that are ranked 49 of 50 states.

The issue of weekly benefits always has come down to the lobbying power of business (who pay the payroll tax for UC) and the lobbying power of workers. In the non union atmosphere of Florida, the worker's organizations were the 99 pound weaklings up against heavy weight business interests.

DeSantis did it right. He treated south Florida differently than the rest of the state. He isolated the nursing homes, activated the guard to head to the hot spots and let county governments decide what was needed for their areas. The numbers showed people outside were much safer than inside and limiting exposure times indoors were key to lowering the spread.

Reaction Score
DeSantis did it right. He treated south Florida differently than the rest of the state. He isolated the nursing homes, activated the guard to head to the hot spots and let county governments decide what was needed for their areas. The numbers showed people outside were much safer than inside and limiting exposure times indoors were key to lowering the spread.

Plus they are doing a parochial better job of gaming the numbers than other states for their needs. They only report deaths if they have positive test and are only a state resident.

Reaction Score
Plus they are doing a parochial better job of gaming the numbers than other states for their needs. They only report deaths if they have positive test and are only a state resident.

source?

Reaction Score
While most states’ Department of Health websites report data on the numbers of positive COVID-19 cases and deaths, COVID-19 hospitalizations are not consistently reported. Some states report current hospitalizations, while others report cumulative hospitalizations. Some only report the percent of total COVID-19 cases that are hospitalized. Yet others, like New Jersey and New York, don’t report at all.

Reaction Score
The Florida data records, separately, positive residents and positive residents out of state and positive non residents...

Reaction Score
source?

... but since I always cross-reference CNN articles when something’s catches my interest (didn't care about testing/positives just was looking @ deaths):

Reaction Score
Florida and Georgia governors "lack of handling"...

View attachment 54335

Just like the common flu its pretty obvious the virus isn't transmitted as easily in warmer weather. There are also many who believe that Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of death so being out in the sun is a good thing. Vitamin D deficiency would explain why this is hitting the black community so hard since darker skin is slower to produce vitamin D. It's a national disgrace that vitamin D supplements aren't being recommended. Put Bob Diaco on the President's Covid committee.

Reaction Score

... but since I always cross-reference CNN articles when something’s catches my interest (didn't care about testing/positives just was looking @ deaths):

That had more to do with a single reporting source, the State Health Department....not 67 individual county coroners...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom