Florida @ #5 South Carolina - 12/31/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Florida @ #5 South Carolina - 12/31/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Other than just being tacky, the banner has inaccurate information. Does "unanimous" mean 26 of 30 first place votes in the AP poll and 26 of 32 first place votes in the coaches poll?

Look, we get it. SC got screwed out of competing for the NC. But so did Oregon. So did Baylor. At least they handled it with a little bit of class.
You are picking out a word (that isn't true) but the fact remains they were No. 1 at seasons end. I am not sure why they said "unanimous" but it really doesn't matter. Dawn decided the girls should be recognized for the year they had and I think it was a good gesture. It hurts no one....so why does it bother you ?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Like I said...you're childish. I don't give a rats ass what their teams do in their arena about their accomplishments. If you are so small that what South Carolina chooses to do to honor their players...then you are in the quantum small arena.
So it looks like 70% of the posters are childish, because of what they think about the banner? Guess you are going have to get a bigger arena.

Reaction Score
You are picking out a word (that isn't true) but the fact remains they were No. 1 at seasons end. I am not sure why they said "unanimous" but it really doesn't matter. Dawn decided the girls should be recognized for the year they had and I think it was a good gesture. It hurts no one....so why does it bother you ?
I don't lose any sleep over it, but why the need to recognize the girls for something that isn't true? I'm not sure why they said "unanimous" either, but I have an idea. Dawn's petty attempt at changing history so future fans/players/recruits will see it and actually believe it's true (it'll probably work). In any case, clearly Dawn is just making s*** up. If I was Oregon I'd be very insulted.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does it have to be unanimous vote or just number one for the week? :rolleyes:
Come on MSGRET, you know the rules, it has to be Unanimous to have the banner! Can we request an * next to "Unanimous" stating "The opinion expressed by the school does not reflect the views of the general WCBB viewing public"? ;)

Reaction Score
South Carolina with a nice win. That team is getting better and will be scary to face in a tournament.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
South Carolina with a nice win. That team is getting better and will be scary to face in a tournament.
Did you watch any of yesterday's game, particularly the 3rd quarter? I would not say the team is "getting better" per se', at least not yet. The guards are still suspect, Boston had a game we have been expecting but I would not say yesterday's game made me scary to face them.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
So it looks like 70% of the posters are childish, because of what they think about the banner? Guess you are going have to get a bigger arena.
If 70% are digging in on this banner that South Carolina put in their arena...then yes...70% are childish !!!

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I don't lose any sleep over it, but why the need to recognize the girls for something that isn't true? I'm not sure why they said "unanimous" either, but I have an idea. Dawn's petty attempt at changing history so future fans/players/recruits will see it and actually believe it's true (it'll probably work). In any case, clearly Dawn is just making s*** up. If I was Oregon I'd be very insulted.
Change history ??? You can't be serious...the history is....the pandemic ended the season early and at the end South Carolina was the No.1 ranked team with the championship games eliminated. That's not changing history. You are the one who is being petty....not the South Carolina team or Dawn. You have taken "PETTY" to another level.

Reaction Score
Change history ??? You can't be serious...the history is....the pandemic ended the season early and at the end South Carolina was the No.1 ranked team with the championship games eliminated. That's not changing history. You are the one who is being petty....not the South Carolina team or Dawn. You have taken "PETTY" to another level.
OK, well I’m done putting any more energy into this. Enjoy your banner - you earned it (??). You know how most of the rest of the WBB world feels about it. More dialog prolly isn’t gonna change yours or our minds, so Peace...

Reaction Score
Did you watch any of yesterday's game, particularly the 3rd quarter? I would not say the team is "getting better" per se', at least not yet. The guards are still suspect, Boston had a game we have been expecting but I would not say yesterday's game made me scary to face them.

they literally played their first game in two weeks lol

Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the point. Every WBB team was robbed of “what could have been” last season. ALL of them. As much as everyone would like to think they can predict what would have happened, no-one could possibly ever know. The fact of the matter is, Dawn is not celebrating what could have been, she is celebrating what was “for her team”. At the point where the season ended, they were in fact, the final ranked number #1 team in the nation. That’s it. That’s what the banner says. That’s what they chose celebrate. No one can say what any other team would have done in the same situation, no one. There was only one #1 team when Covid robbed them and us all of what could have been. The banner isn’t about any other team...it’s about SC and what they accomplished. They should be able to celebrate that in anyway they choose without judgement or a cloud of negativity surrounding it. All of these ladies (every team everywhere) have had something taken away from them...why with words, would anyone want to try to make meaningless something those ladies are clearly proud of? I don’t get it.

*Also, consider this, Unanimous could mean #1 in every final poll. Just a thought.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
OK, well I’m done putting any more energy into this. Enjoy your banner - you earned it (??). You know how most of the rest of the WBB world feels about it. More dialog prolly isn’t gonna change yours or our minds, so Peace...
Not my banner. I am not a Gamecock...I am just a WBB fan in general. I went to Elon in North Carolina. I have no dog in this fight...but I will defend their right to do what they want in their arena.

Reaction Score
Not my banner. I am not a Gamecock...I am just a WBB fan in general. I went to Elon in North Carolina. I have no dog in this fight...but I will defend their right to do what they want in their arena.
I agree with you that they have the right to put up whatever they want. But for some reason, it bothers me. I think because, to me, it sorta implies that they were the best team in 2020. In my mind, Oregon was just as good and certainly could have beaten them had their been an NCAA tournament. The reality is that there was no national champ last year... and that saddens me.

Reaction Score
I agree with you that they have the right to put up whatever they want. But for some reason, it bothers me. I think because, to me, it sorta implies that they were the best team in 2020. In my mind, Oregon was just as good and certainly could have beaten them had their been an NCAA tournament. The reality is that there was no national champ last year... and that saddens me.
It doesn’t say they were the best team. But they were the #1 team at the end of the year in every poll. That’s an accomplishment for that program So they hung a banner. It was about their season. Goodness let some other teams celebrate their accomplishments without all the handwringing.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
They were the consensus No.1 team. The "Oregon could have beaten them" is subjective. I am not sure who would have won that game...but....there is no doubt about who was No.1 at seasons end. The banner has nothing to do with Oregon, UCONN, Baylor or any other team that would have played in the tournament. It has to do with their year end standing. That is a claim that no other team can make at the end of the 2019-20 season. Now...back to our sponsors....

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
They were the consensus No.1 team. The "Oregon could have beaten them" is subjective. I am not sure who would have won that game...but....there is no doubt about who was No.1 at seasons end. The banner has nothing to do with Oregon, UCONN, Baylor or any other team that would have played in the tournament. It has to do with their year end standing. That is a claim that no other team can make at the end of the 2019-20 season. Now...back to our sponsors....
? You may not understand what the concept "subjective" means. A poll of voters opinions is, by definition, subjective. On the other hand a computer generated rating such as Massey is considered, by definition, objective (though in reality there is subjectivity in determining the algorithms, it still at least qualifies as an objective tool, unlike polls). The objective Massey ratings determined Oregon as number one; the subjective polls determined South Carolina as number one ...

... ever since you declared you were a neutral fan, though SC fans thought you were one of theirs, I have monitored your opinions when I come across them. This isn't the first example when you misstate or show concern in SC's favor. If you were a neutral, general fan of WCBB you would have at least considered Oregon's stake as the one OBJECTIVEly determined winner. Instead you distort the meaning of subjective to defend your team, excuse me, a team.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
? You may not understand what the concept "subjective" means. A poll of voters opinions is, by definition, subjective. On the other hand a computer generated rating such as Massey is considered, by definition, objective (though in reality there is subjectivity in determining the algorithms, it still at least qualifies as an objective tool, unlike polls). The objective Massey ratings determined Oregon as number one; the subjective polls determined South Carolina as number one ...

... ever since you declared you were a neutral fan, though SC fans thought you were one of theirs, I have monitored your opinions when I come across them. This isn't the first example when you misstate or show concern in SC's favor. If you were a neutral, general fan of WCBB you would have at least considered Oregon's stake as the one OBJECTIVEly determined winner. Instead you distort the meaning of subjective to defend your team, excuse me, a team.
Computers analysis data....That is the only factual part of it. Data does not play games on the court. It doesn't take into account "off nights" or "injuries". The subjective part is on the actual court. If you are too uneducated to understand that data and court play are two totally different things....then I don't know what to tell you. The computer data is a tool used to TRY to predict outcomes. It has failed many, many times over the year. It can only tell you what has happened in the past and while that can be used as a predicter it is not a surefire avenue to a factual outcome....so again...the game winner between South Carolina and Oregon in the 2019-20 season is subjective until the game is played. That is in spite of what the computer data may, or may not say. The South Carolina team was ranked No.1 in every poll at seasons end and that's what the banner says.....it's really that simple...The banner makes no claims about computer data...maybe Oregon can put up a banner about the computer data from 2019-20...I couldn't care less if they did and would defend their right to do so....

Reaction Score

The solution is for Oregon to hang a Massey banner.

It's ok with me if they do.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

Your argument is moot....It has nothing to do with the banner and what it says. You are just throwing out things and hoping something will stick. I already said that whether they would win or not is subjective. You have no argument against that without the game actually being played. I am sorry that you can't grasp these facts....If Oregon wants to put an "objective" banner about data up...so be it. The "objective" banner does not make the actual playing of the game objective based on computer data. I am sorry that this is so confusing to you.

Reaction Score
Alabama has always been tough and they look better this year, but I'm getting a little worried about seeing this team's best this season.

Still looking disjointed and inconsistent.

I'm anxious about the Kentucky game. Need to see if there is still separation there before making a conclusion about this team and the SEC race.

I'm not sure whether South Carolina is above the scrum or right in the middle of it.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
If Oregon wants to put an "objective" banner about data up...so be it. The "objective" banner does not make the actual playing of the game objective based on computer data. I am sorry that this is so confusing to you.

But not the Oregon coach, team, or fans. Graves's comments when the tournament was cancelled were about as far as one can get from Dawn's.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Your argument is moot....It has nothing to do with the banner and what it says. You are just throwing out things and hoping something will stick. I already said that whether they would win or not is subjective. You have no argument against that without the game actually being played. I am sorry that you can't grasp these facts....If Oregon wants to put an "objective" banner about data up...so be it. The "objective" banner does not make the actual playing of the game objective based on computer data. I am sorry that this is so confusing to you.
Hmmm. Hit a nerve I see. Let's recap, shall we. VA Huskie made a comment that "in his mind" Oregon "could have beaten them" in a tournament. Nobody with normal reading comprehension would have interpreted that as offering an authoritative and/or objective declaration. The subjective nature of it is automatically understood.

You in turn juxtaposed the two sentences: "They (SC) were the consensus No.1 team. The "Oregon could have beaten them" is subjective." A normal reading of that would suggest that being a consensus No. 1 team is different from a subjective opinion of who would win a match up. It's not. Both are subjective. I threw in the Massey ranking as an example of something that is not subjective, just in case you are confused by the meanings.

Neither being #1 in the polls nor in the Massey rankings guarantees who would win in a match-up, but that is not what your first two sentences are about. You implied, by a normal reading, that being a consensus No. 1 provides a legitimacy to a banner that's not subjective. That's wrong. It is subjective. Maybe that's not the meaning you intended, but it's the meaning you wrote. Don't blame me if you don't express yourself well.

Personally, I don't care if SC wants to put up a banner or not. I would not care if Oregon wanted to or not. To each their own. In either case it would be a subjective opinion, neither one having greater legitimacy than the other. I do care when it appears one "one doth protest too hard" that they are not something that they give all appearances of being.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Hit a nerve I see. Let's recap, shall we. VA Huskie made a comment that "in his mind" Oregon "could have beaten them" in a tournament. Nobody with normal reading comprehension would have interpreted that as offering an authoritative and/or objective declaration. The subjective nature of it is automatically understood.

You in turn juxtaposed the two sentences: "They (SC) were the consensus No.1 team. The "Oregon could have beaten them" is subjective." A normal reading of that would suggest that being a consensus No. 1 team is different from a subjective opinion of who would win a match up. It's not. Both are subjective. I threw in the Massey ranking as an example of something that is not subjective, just in case you are confused by the meanings.

Neither being #1 in the polls nor in the Massey rankings guarantees who would win in a match-up, but that is not what your first two sentences are about. You implied, by a normal reading, that being a consensus No. 1 provides a legitimacy to a banner that's not subjective. That's wrong. It is subjective. Maybe that's not the meaning you intended, but it's the meaning you wrote. Don't blame me if you don't express yourself well.

Personally, I don't care if SC wants to put up a banner or not. I would not care if Oregon wanted to or not. To each their own. In either case it would be a subjective opinion, neither one having greater legitimacy than the other. I do care when it appears one "one doth protest too hard" that they are not something that they give all appearances of being.
Hit a nerve...lol...you are just too simplistic at your thought process to even continue. The cognitive dissonance in you is strong.....I am sure that if Oregon and South Carolina had played...then and only then could we have found out who would win. You can not even grasp the most simple details. South Carolina was the No.1 team at seasons end just as their banner says. End of conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom