Florida @ #17 Arkansas - 1/14/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida @ #17 Arkansas - 1/14/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
How would she not be better with better coaching and teammates?? It’s obvious she was waaayyy better than her HS ranking even before she stepped foot in Gainesville. She had a good showing in the JBC game and averaged nearly 15 ppg as a freshman. She scored 41 points and her team nearly won so of you don’t think she would be better then idk what to tell you. Nothing against Cam he has Florida looking much better but Briggs talent is what makes her stand out not his coaching...
Your own words contradict the very point you attempt to make. To begin with, the level of infuence in respect to players individual development in WCBB today has diminished in comparison to what it once was. There was a time when coaches and programs played a major part, but today most players come to college with much less upside left in respect to individual skills. They have already spent years training with personal coaches even before the hit high school. They play basketball year round. The days of a raw undeveloped athlete coming into a program is rare. Mostly post players and their ceiling is usually still physical development. The primary lesson left to learn is how to integrate their individual skill into the team concept. Geno stated that most players know how, they just need ot learn when.

What has also changed is the number of really good coaches and programs that are presently in WCBB. The days of a few good coaches inhabiting a field of poor to mediocre ones is a thing of the past. The increase in pay has drawn actual coaches to womens basketball as opposed to a field that was once inhabited purely by ex players. The belief that only the top programs have good coaches wishful thinking by those that follow those programs. That is heard entirely too much. The idea that players need to only go to select programs to help their development.

You statement that Briggs talent is what makes her stand out and not Cams coaching. If it applies to Briggs and Cam why wouldn't it apply as well to other players in other programs?. How much can be attributed to a players individual talent and how much to coaching? No one can really know, so it can be easily manipulated to promote a persons personal perspective. Cam has been elevating the program at Florida for multiple season now. You, and most of us really have no idea to what level he will eventually take that program. Many other coaches, who are now considered elite began the same way.

Ironically., you bring up the Arkansas program as an example of a better program for development. Neigbors has always just relied on his players individual skills. He basically just throws them the ball and says go to it. While I can agree that playing on a team with better player helps a player adjust better to the next level of play. At the next level it will be required to play more of team game, which has to be adjusted to if it is not engrained in college. However, Arkansas is not the program that instills team play. why don't you just be honest. You used Arkansas to avoid a homer label, but you actually meant SC as the program where she chould get better coaching. Its what UConn fans post all the time in respect to really good players who might not even have been recruited by their team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your own words contradict the very point you attempt to make. To begin with, the level of infuence in respect to players individual development in WCBB today has diminished in comparison to what it once was. There was a time when coaches and programs played a major part, but today most players come to college with much less upside left in respect to individual skills. They have already spent years training with personal coaches even before the hit high school. They play basketball year round. The days of a raw undeveloped athlete coming into a program is rare. Mostly post players and their ceiling is usually still physical development. The primary lesson left to learn is how to integrate their individual skill into the team concept. Geno stated that most players know how, they just need ot learn when.
Your some days late and a dollar short... I really don’t care on your opinion nor do I care to read that paragraph. I said what I said.

Reaction Score
Really enjoying what Coach Neighbors has done to turn around the Arkansas WBB program. That program is on the rise.

Reaction Score
Your some days late and a dollar short... I really don’t care on your opinion nor do I care to read that paragraph. I said what I said.
Your response validated my perspective on your agenda for your own post. I can see you sticking your fingers in your ears and saying La la la la la.

Reaction Score
Your response validated my perspective on your agenda for your own post. I can see you sticking your fingers in your ears and saying La la la la la.
It’s obvious you’re bored which is why I’m not giving you attention lol. You read something that was days old and thought I would give a care...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Spur, honestly, not a good look from you here. @willtalk k was articulate in his observations, feel free to ignore it but don't be so disrespectful.

While I too, read all of your points, I am left scratching my head at your logic especially from a Gamecock fan. Didn't your program just put up a statue for their highest profile recruit and player who took a big chance on going to Columbia vs. UConn? It was clear as day that Geno is/was a better coach than Dawn, yet A'ja chose Dawn. When many of the BY brethren noted EXACTLY your comments about A'ja that you are making about Briggs, many, including you, objected.

Briggs is allowed to blaze her own path and try to make a program relevant. I don't know of what other offers she had but her Junior year in HS, she noted how comfortable she felt with the Florida staff vs. ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS recruiting her. Good for her. I am rooting for Florida to improve.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
While I too, read all of your points, I am left scratching my head at your logic especially from a Gamecock fan. Didn't your program just put up a statue for their highest profile recruit and player who took a big chance on going to Columbia vs. UConn? It was clear as day that Geno is a better coach than Dawn, yet A'ja chose Dawn. When many of the BY brethren noted EXACTLY your comments about A'ja that you are making about Briggs, many, including you, objected.

Briggs is allowed to blaze her own path and try to make a program relevant. I don't know of what other offers she had but her Junior year in HS, she noted how comfortable she felt with the Florida staff vs. ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS recruiting her. Good for her. I am rooting for Florida to improve.
It might be nice if there were more trailblazers. It's pretty easy to pick a school that's been good for a long time and very likely will remain strong for the foreseeable future. It's unlikely the deck ever gets significantly reshuffled if most of the talent keeps accumulating in the same places.

Reaction Score
Spur, honestly, not a good look from you here. @willtalk k was articulate in his observations, feel free to ignore it but don't be so disrespectful.

While I too, read all of your points, I am left scratching my head at your logic especially from a Gamecock fan. Didn't your program just put up a statue for their highest profile recruit and player who took a big chance on going to Columbia vs. UConn? It was clear as day that Geno is/was a better coach than Dawn, yet A'ja chose Dawn. When many of the BY brethren noted EXACTLY your comments about A'ja that you are making about Briggs, many, including you, objected.

I just didn’t care about the topic anymore hence why I said what I said. It was days ago lol. I find this to be a different situation than Aja choosing SC vs other schools (If not SC, she would’ve likely chosen UT or UNC). Aja was highly regarded out of HS unlike Briggs and the point I made clearly was I think she would be better in a better system with a better coach. That wasn’t meant to be misinterpreted that Cam was a bad coach. I think he’s doing a good job at UF and has a very good player in Briggs. However it’s clear she would be better on a top 10 team. She’s his main offense and without her Florida would probably be as bad as Vandy. That’s not a slight towards him JMHO. Harping on anything else is irrelevant.

Reaction Score

What has also changed is the number of really good coaches and programs that are presently in WCBB. The days of a few good coaches inhabiting a field of poor to mediocre ones is a thing of the past. The increase in pay has drawn actual coaches to womens basketball as opposed to a field that was once inhabited purely by ex players. The belief that only the top programs have good coaches wishful thinking by those that follow those programs. That is heard entirely too much. The idea that players need to only go to select programs to help their development.

You statement that Briggs talent is what makes her stand out and not Cams coaching. If it applies to Briggs and Cam why wouldn't it apply as well to other players in other programs?. How much can be attributed to a players individual talent and how much to coaching? No one can really know, so it can be easily manipulated to promote a persons personal perspective. Cam has been elevating the program at Florida for multiple season now. You, and most of us really have no idea to what level he will eventually take that program. Many other coaches, who are now considered elite began the same way.

Ironically., you bring up the Arkansas program as an example of a better program for development. Neigbors has always just relied on his players individual skills. He basically just throws them the ball and says go to it. While I can agree that playing on a team with better player helps a player adjust better to the next level of play. At the next level it will be required to play more of team game, which has to be adjusted to if it is not engrained in college. However, Arkansas is not the program that instills team play. why don't you just be honest. You used Arkansas to avoid a homer label, but you actually meant SC as the program where she chould get better coaching. Its what UConn fans post all the time in respect to really good players who might not even have been recruited by their team.

Well I took the time to finally read it and I still don’t get your point. I never used Arkansas to “label” team play or did I ever say she needed to be on a team like SC to be better. What I said was a better team with better players... clear as day that’s what I said and it’s clear Arkansas is the better team so yes without a doubt she would be better there. Take nothing away from Cam and UF but that’s just the truth. My personal opinion wasn’t something that was supposed to turn into a meaningless debate lol. I like Briggs and UF and wish them well on the rest of their games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom