Fleas that could torment our Huskies? | The Boneyard

Fleas that could torment our Huskies?

Reaction Score
Two occurred to me immediately regarding the difficult games on the schedule (not concerned that these issues will cause us to lose the easy games ahead); just the challenging games to come for this year's team:
1. Poor foul shooting. 2. Unforced turnovers or minimally challenged turnovers.

I HAVE NO HARD DATA ON EITHER, but gut tells me that we are not up to our usual UCONN standards.
Yes? No? Other fleas that concern you?

Reaction Score
Two occurred to me immediately regarding the difficult games on the schedule (not concerned that these issues will cause us to lose the easy games ahead); just the challenging games to come for this year's team:
1. Poor foul shooting. 2. Unforced turnovers or minimally challenged turnovers.

I HAVE NO HARD DATA ON EITHER, but gut tells me that we are not up to our usual UCONN standards.
Yes? No? Other fleas that concern you?
Lay ups..not running full speed layups just regular un contested standing under the basket, looking straight up using strong hand layups!

Reaction Score
Yep, free throws and layups (including Geno's apparent belief that he cannot really do anything as a coach to improve these things). My other worry would be any ongoing inconsistency in CW's play.

Reaction Score
"Fleas?" I think you're trying too hard to be cute.
I don't know about that. I seem to have been scratching my butt since I woke up this morning. :D

Reaction Score
1. lack of 2nd ball handler - If Dangerfield goes down, not a lot there.
2. lack of playmaking - this has been a refrain for the last 4-5 UConn teams and the reason we haven't been over the mountain top in a few years. When the shot clock runs low, we don't really have anyone who can get their own shot reliably. It has not changed this year.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
1. lack of 2nd ball handler - If Dangerfield goes down, not a lot there.
2. lack of playmaking - this has been a refrain for the last 4-5 UConn teams and the reason we haven't been over the mountain top in a few years. When the shot clock runs low, we don't really have anyone who can get their own shot reliably. It has not changed this year.

I get where you’re coming from, however for the four seasons prior to the current one the UConn women are 145-5 with one national championship. Using the SWAG method (scientific wild arse guess) that would be way over the mountain top for 99.9% of the D-1 women’s programs. I’m sure that this reminds GA that “success is never owned, only rented, and the rent is due every day”.

Reaction Score
Not to our usual standards is the most debated topic on this board. For many, the standard is, either we win the National Championship or the season is a bust. The other standard we have, is to be undefeated going into the tournament or the season is a "hanging by a thread".
The real standard should be, let them play the games and trust the coaches , who have a pretty great track record, to see how the team develops and IMPROVES during the season.
Other than size, which we didn't have last year, I see in every game, lots of improvement, especially the two FRESHMAN, Griffin and Makurat…..there is plenty to be excited about.

Reaction Score
Not to our usual standards is the most debated topic on this board. For many, the standard is, either we win the National Championship or the season is a bust. The other standard we have, is to be undefeated going into the tournament or the season is a "hanging by a thread".
The real standard should be, let them play the games and trust the coaches , who have a pretty great track record, to see how the team develops and IMPROVES during the season.
Other than size, which we didn't have last year, I see in every game, lots of improvement, especially the two FRESHMAN, Griffin and Makurat…..there is plenty to be excited about.

Reaction Score
Does anybody here really think that Geno believes he can't do anything as a coach to improve things? Are we as strong as when we had four players go in the first round of the WNBA draft - no. Is there a possibility that we have a chance to win another game this season - we can only hope.

Reaction Score
I get where you’re coming from, however for the four seasons prior to the current one the UConn women are 145-5 with one national championship. Using the SWAG method (scientific wild arse guess) that would be way over the mountain top for 99.9% of the D-1 women’s programs. I’m sure that this reminds GA that “success is never owned, only rented, and the rent is due every day”.

uhhh bro the question was what are the things that will hold us back. That's what message boards are for, to theorize. If you don't think that playmaking hasn't been a struggle since MoJeff left I do not know what to say to you because you don't know basketball.

We run our offense magnificently, so when we can rely on that structured play and our physical dominance we win, easily. But do I need to point out that we have lost BASICALLY every close game the last 4 years? Like all of them. That's because in those moments, those pressure moments, we struggle to make plays off the dribble.

95% of our games are 10-15-20 pointers so it doesn't matter. But against elite teams when we've come up short, that is why.

Reaction Score
uhhh bro the question was what are the things that will hold us back. That's what message boards are for, to theorize. If you don't think that playmaking hasn't been a struggle since MoJeff left I do not know what to say to you because you don't know basketball.

We run our offense magnificently, so when we can rely on that structured play and our physical dominance we win, easily. But do I need to point out that we have lost BASICALLY every close game the last 4 years? Like all of them. That's because in those moments, those pressure moments, we struggle to make plays off the dribble.

95% of our games are 10-15-20 pointers so it doesn't matter. But against elite teams when we've come up short, that is why.

I may not know come here from sic-em about basketball, but I am pretty confident that if you are averaging 1.25 losses per season playing UConn’s schedule plus the NCAA tourney you have some pretty decent play makers. Are there as many on the roster as when Mo J played, absolutely not, but how many times do you expect to get the # 1, 2, & 3 rated players in a recruiting class? My basketball IQ may be somewhere around my shoe size, but I would contend that lack of size, skill, and strength in the painted area has had as much to do with why it’s harder to make plays off the bounce than it is lack of talent on the perimeter. No, the roster doesn’t have a generational player like DT, BS, or MM, but we have enough to be a contender. Is that enough, maybe not, but if UConn doesn’t have enough play makers my point was how do the other 99% of D-1 programs feel?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom