Flashback Championship Huskies: Fondest Memories? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Flashback Championship Huskies: Fondest Memories?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Watching every tourney game and being just amazed at how much better we were than every team we played. After the first 12 games or so I looked at my son and said this team plays as a team better than any team I can remember. It was truly remarkable and I really believe even on this board this team does not get the credit it deserves. There should at least be a debate on who was the best team 1999, 2004 or 2023. As for me as far as best team with an emphasis on team no other UConn team was as connected as this team.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Getting the 5 chips it immediately triggered a memory from 1995ish.
I actually had Christin Laetner’s backup from the Duke 1991 championship team working for me at a NY ad agency. I remember asking him if Calhoun/Uconn would ever win a championship. I think Mississippi St just knocked us out. He said no. Not in a smug obnoxious way. He wasn’t like that. Smart, humble nicest guy. At that time in 1995 we were closing in but his assessment as a Coach K decile and Duke player hit me hard. Obviously beating Duke in 1999 broke the ice, but now winning 5 and tying Duke sends me over the top

Winning brought me back to that time.
I hope it did the same for him.

Reaction Score
Watching every tourney game and being just amazed at how much better we were than every team we played. After the first 12 games or so I looked at my son and said this team plays as a team better than any team I can remember. It was truly remarkable and I really believe even on this board this team does not get the credit it deserves. There should at least be a waning on debate on who was the best team 1999, 2004 or 2023. As for me as far as best team with an emphasis on team no other UConn team was as connected as this team.
Great point about how well they played together. I am leaning toward this years team being our best ever and I am not comparing them to 1999 or 2004. Just how they dominated teams.

Reaction Score
Great point about how well they played together. I am leaning toward this years team being our best ever and I am not comparing them to 1999 or 2004. Just how they dominated teams.
This team was just pure fun to watch. Outside and inside shooting, assists, and Ajax impersonating Superman

Reaction Score
I'll never forget the Joey C run against Georgetown. Such an ugly game, crowd disengaged, weird timing before Christmas, looked like we were going to blow our undefeated start in terrible fashion. And then this swaggy kid pulled us back almost by himself with some incredible high energy plays

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Adama evolving from a great interior guy to the dominant interior force in the entire tourney. But two specific plays will likely live in my mind for however any years I have left.
  1. For the season on the whole, Joey's 'touch shot' heading out of bounds while being fouled.
  2. For the tourney, definitely Ajax's drop pass and screen for Joey's three.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Watching every tourney game and being just amazed at how much better we were than every team we played. After the first 12 games or so I looked at my son and said this team plays as a team better than any team I can remember. It was truly remarkable and I really believe even on this board this team does not get the credit it deserves. There should at least be a debate on who was the best team 1999, 2004 or 2023. As for me as far as best team with an emphasis on team no other UConn team was as connected as this team.
I felt this was the most cohesive team.
I would say this team was the only team that 1-9 had little drop off. Certainly 1-8.
Best inside outside team.

Certainly not the best team star power wise. The whole was definitely better than the parts. And the parts were darn good.

Reaction Score
it was just pretty basketball, big up dan hurley. we rolled through the tourney & looked great doing it
1681679970464.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t mean to hyperbolize but the ball movement and sum greater than their parts reminded me of Holztman Knicks. Had my second thoughts in January, , but Marcn proved me right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom