Flames heating up at UNC | The Boneyard

Flames heating up at UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sounds like the NCAA will sound the "all clear." Since it was so wide, it wasn't just about athletics, so no penalties.
Yeah. Getting excited for UNC to get punished is probably similar to getting excited for a power 5 invite for UConn - nothing is guaranteed and you'll probably wind up disappointed, so it's probably a good idea to not get your expectations up.

Reaction Score
They may get the Penn State treatment... Give them a death sentene type penalty, then half (or less than half) way through it clear them of all wrong doings and give them back all their eligibility... and NOT one person please don't give me any crap about the infractions being different... So what... bottom line they were infractions.. you do the crime you do the time... just like we had to in MBB...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
They may get the Penn State treatment... Give them a death sentene type penalty, then half (or less than half) way through it clear them of all wrong doings and give them back all their eligibility... and NOT one person please don't give me any crap about the infractions being different... So what... bottom line they were infractions.. you do the crime you do the time... just like we had to in MBB...

You're slipping ktuck.....I expected you to post "If they get any sanctions, will we get any transfers from UNC?" ;)

Reaction Score

Penn St. didn't violate any NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
Report states grades were assigned based on what the athlete needed to stay eligible. Coaches were aware of easy grade classes, and this was ongoing widespread academic fraud. How many schollies did we lose for accurately reporting poor grades?

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/4/24/2971329/what-uconns-apr-score-actually-measures

Great performance by UNC!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-05-24-apr-punishment-connecticut_N.htm

So they can claim this was not a lack of institutional control or a deliberate attempt to game the system for the competitive advantage of their athletic programs and the financial bottom line?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/2...ow-curriculum-to-help-athletes.html?referrer=

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UNC SHOULD get the death penalty for all sports until their academic house is in order. They SHOULD also have their accreditation as an instituion of higher learning seriously reviewed as well. Obviously, "should," is the operative word in both of those sentences. Only time will tell what the bastion of integrity that is the NCAA will actually do.

It's a shame really. There are 15 schools in the ACC and nary a team for which to root.

Reaction Score
The P5 was created to P on a 5 alarm fire such as this - I expect little from the NCAA against any P5 program going forward.

Reaction Score
I anticipate all this great "cooperation"will lead to the excuse of not penalizing current players for past violations. Going back to the process that transpired for us this stands out as a smoking gun on how we were dooped into thinking we would get a fair shake for our cooperation.

• August 2011 - NCAA Board of Directors votes to ban Division I teams from post-season play if they have a four-year average below 930. At the time Dr. Walt Harrison, chair of the Division I committee on academic performance, "said there will likely be a three- to five-year phase-in period, allowing schools to ‘ratchet up’ their academics."

Reaction Score
Fences going up around 2 employees to take the fall for everything as everyone else plays Sgt. Schultz for 20 years. Wondering what phone records or emails have been looked at.

Reaction Score
Reason number 1 why the P5 should not be allowed to govern itself. As for the NCAA, they will give a kid the death penalty for signing autographs to make a few buck on his OWN name to set an example, but will give a pass on Penn State and UNC ..as long as they cooperate. Money corrupts, and it has corrupted NCAA football to the core. UNC should be banned from the NCAA for a decade for committing egregious, systematic academic fraud. Its also a fraud on every other team that played by rules of academic integrity and amateurism (not that there are many).

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Penn St. didn't violate any NCAA rules.

No but they let a coach violate young men. That is a problem at the institutional level which made it an university problem.

Reaction Score
Best thing UConn Nation as a whole can do is to quietly let UNC fall on their sword by themselves. Pointing fingers will not bode well for an ACC invite. There are enough haters(against us) there already, don't need to add one more. Let the SEC members or whoever else thinks they can gain from UNC's misfortune call them out. The NCAA will have to act on this as it's already spreading through the media and internet circles so best thing UConn can do is hope the NCAA does their due diligence like they did to Penn St, SMU, USC ect. Just sit back and hope a few transfers come this way.

Who on the NC football team would be a good fit anyways(academically...lol) for UConn? How many kids from New England and specifically CT are on their roster and would they even consider coming here given the team's current condition?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Best thing UConn Nation as a whole can do is to quietly let UNC fall on their sword by themselves. Pointing fingers will not bode well for an ACC invite. There are enough haters(against us) there already, don't need to add one more. Let the SEC members or whoever else thinks they can gain from UNC's misfortune call them out. The NCAA will have to act on this as it's already spreading through the media and internet circles so best thing UConn can do is hope the NCAA does their due diligence like they did to Penn St, SMU, USC ect. Just sit back and hope a few transfers come this way.

Who on the NC football team would be a good fit anyways(academically...lol) for UConn? How many kids from New England and specifically CT are on their roster and would they even consider coming here given the team's current condition?

I missed where Herbst, Manuel, or a political figure from Connecticut has made a statement about UNC. Fans are pawns in this game so long as we keep on spending money.

UNC has exactly -0- players from New England on their football or basketball rosters. Closest is a Soph. WR form Stony Brook NY.

Reaction Score
I fully expect a slap on the wrist for UNC. I bet this punishment will may Ray Rice's two game suspension look like what Adrian Peterson did to his kid.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is quickly becoming a toothless tiger. Once the P5 have the autonomy they seek the highest level of college athletics will be a semi-pro feeder system for the NFL and NBA. Academics will have virtually nothing to do with the athletes that play at that level.

Frankly, if I were interested in watching professional sports I would watch the best athletes in the world play in the NFL and NBA. I think the P5, NCAA and networks are missing a big piece of the puzzle on this and may be very surprised with the end result........but what do I know?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No one will do anything. UNC will be put on double secret probation with no real consequences, and that will be the effective end of NCAA oversight of college athletics. I agree with the posters who point out that if we want to watch professional athletes, we will watch the NFL and NBA, not UNC vs. Duke.

Reaction Score
No but they let a coach violate young men. That is a problem at the institutional level which made it an university problem.

I agree but that doesn't change the fact that they did not commit any NCAA infractions.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No one will do anything. UNC will be put on double secret probation with no real consequences, and that will be the effective end of NCAA oversight of college athletics. I agree with the posters who point out that if we want to watch professional athletes, we will watch the NFL and NBA, not UNC vs. Duke.

Wrong. This is getting out to the main stream media. The NCAA will have the support of the P5 to do something severe.

However, in a year, the penalties will be reduced - ala Penn St - because of all the great progress at UNC.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The NCAA is quickly becoming a toothless tiger. Once the P5 have the autonomy they seek the highest level of college athletics will be a semi-pro feeder system for the NFL and NBA. Academics will have virtually nothing to do with the athletes that play at that level.

Frankly, if I were interested in watching professional sports I would watch the best athletes in the world play in the NFL and NBA. I think the P5, NCAA and networks are missing a big piece of the puzzle on this and may be very surprised with the end result...but what do I know?
Me thinks quite a bit. Is AAA baseball or the NBDL appointment TV? The answer is no. Otherwise there would be lucrative TV contracts that go along for the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom