Flagg to Duke. Official | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Flagg to Duke. Official

Reaction Score
Ok your opinion. Take the high ground. If this process does not leave at least some questions in your mind good for you. I would say that was a little naive but then again my fault for reading all the insider posts on the BY. We never really had a chance but similar to another post I made on the topic. When the girl you really want to go on a date with strings you along before finally coming clean…you kind of wish she would have said no at the beginning. We really never had a chance and since I am not an insider my reaction I think is consistent with what many are thinking but unwilling to say….because I knew exactly what and where the less than positive responses were going to be coming from. In closing do you believe in bulletin board material…do you think DH is in his office only thinking oh well it is what it is. I mean he knew last week or maybe even before that, but the point being as a competitor it’s a loss. Losing a recruit will not break him or anything like that. But after 24 years since we beat them the first time in the end we are still chasing them. Also as noted I will no longer spend emotional energy caring about our chances on recruits.

The kid visits the two schools he was interested in and decided on the one he liked the best. We weren't being trolled or played with. This is how the vast majority of recruitments go. I've followed dozens upon dozens of recruitments--the first one I got really into following was probably in 2013. As far as recruitments go, this was about standard. He cut schools when he knew he wasn't interested in them (Kansas) and didn't even do the whole dramatic announcement reveal thing.

Hurley, Kimani, Tom and Luke are not idiots. They wouldn't spend half our recruiting budget flying to Florida once a week unless there was a chance. Flagg seriously considered Storrs but ultimately decided that Duke had more to offer right now. It is what it is.

Would you consider it a "dirty recruitment" that Clingan visited Michigan even though it was mostly written in stone he was UConn-bound? No... he was actually interested in Michigan, but the pitch wasn't enough to sway him from the team he had the better connection to.

I seem to remember you saying you have teenage kids. If so, you're really too old for this kind of tantrum.

Reaction Score
Any duke recruits decommitting now? Not that we would go after any of them, but a little turmoil at duke would be nice to see.
I’m sure there will be. They have a piggish amount of talent that won’t be happy with limited minutes. And the worst part of the Duke scenario is they are still going after Ngongba and Edgecombe.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Well, we can still debate if you can travel to Florida in the morning and be back in Storrs in time for the blue-white scrimmage in the evening.

Reaction Score
This sounds so pre-canned but honestly, good.

I always said I thought Cooper‘s safest and best bet was UConn. New England kid with best coaching staff in the country, one year for him to grow and move on!

Duke is a bit more riskly.

I wanted him to come here do doubt, I am mildly bummed.

But I was never convinced a “one and done” player that might need half the season to adjust was gong to magically propel us to the Final Four.

At UConn, we aren’t built that way.

In many ways I don’t think Cooper is of UConn caliber for grit -let him go play for Duke - he looks like he belongs there.

And we’ll see him again in March some day if he ever makes it to Duke… NBA might pull him up earlier..

Reaction Score
Kid was a Duke lock his entire life, and we pitched him well enough to make it maybe 80-20 or 70-30. Obviously would have loved for him to come here, and I think it’d be better for his skill development if he did, but I’m not at all surprised or betrayed that he chose Duke

We lost and we got a silver medal. Sucks to lose and silver medals mean nothing. But in this case, UConn’s name was in the headlines with the #1 recruit for a long time. If Castle truly is a 1 and done high lottery pick, we will be in the mix for top guys in the long term. I trust the staff to figure out the short term issues in the meantime. And given our track record, the top guys are more nice-to-have instead of required for winning anyway

Best of luck to Cooper. Hope he averages 25 a game and then promptly loses in the second round of the tournament. Looking forward to seeing him in the NBA

Reaction Score

UConn Visit​

The visit to Connecticut went about as well as it could’ve. In any other situation, with any other recruit, UConn would’ve sealed the deal with the attention to detail they put into this visit.

Hurley and his staff leaned into Flagg’s family ties with the Clingans. Kelly Flagg and Stacey Clingan played basketball together at the University of Maine in the 1990s. In a touching tribute to Clingan’s late mother, UConn set up a photoshoot with Cooper and Donovan wearing their mother’s jerseys.

In addition to the viral photos, UConn had plenty of things working for them. They just won the national title and sent multiple players to the NBA. Dan Hurley is one of the top coaches in the sport and his focus and tenacity mirrors Flagg’s style of play on the court. On top of that, while it wasn’t exactly home, it was close enough that friends and family could reasonably see most of his games during his one year in college. Many people we spoke to following the visit said UConn turned some heads and put themselves in position to close the gap on Duke.

Reaction Score
The worst part is seeing all the Dook fans online acting like this was some big coup for them and they pulled one over on us.....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well guys...sorry it didn't go your way. I was really rooting for him to become a Husky. I will never be a Duke fan, but I hope he does well while he is there.
If he wasn't coming to Connecticut, I was rooting for him to go to Maine. ;)

Good luck this season!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This would work if we weren’t rejected by our first option before cam committed
Spencer wasn't in the portal then, if I recall correctly. I'm happy with the guy we got.

Reaction Score
On a side note.....I believe that Duke will play at BC next season.....I assume that they would switch that game to TD Garden?

Reaction Score
Spencer wasn't in the portal then, if I recall correctly. I'm happy with the guy we got.
Doesn’t matter if we had the pick of the portal we would’ve gotten timberlake. I still rather have spencer though

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So what are you suggesting? That we don't go after the top prospects? Better to swing and miss, rather than get called out looking
It’s swinging and missing while other dudes we should be going for sit on the bench.
Who else would we have gone for?
We should have not treated instate dream school recruit Tyler Betsey as an afterthought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom