FL cancels next 3 games | The Boneyard

FL cancels next 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t want to seem insensitive here. But what exactly are the parameters for when a team can decide which games to cancel and when? Although obviously tragic circumstances, FL loses their best player and can just decide to cancel their next 3 games?? What kind of precedent does this set? I saw nothing in their press release that mentioned Covid, only the grief and trauma the team has been through. While understandable and lamentable, what about players that lose loved ones? Can teams now cancel games for that reason? Would they have canceled those games if it was a walk on that collapsed? Seems like anything goes this year, but also seems like a potentially slippery slope.

Not at all meant as derogatory towards the kid or to diminish what happened to him. Just trying to understand the rules.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to seem insensitive here. But what exactly are the parameters for when a team can decide which games to cancel and when? Although obviously tragic circumstances, FL loses their best player and can just decide to cancel their next 3 games?? What kind of precedent does this set? I saw nothing in their press release that mentioned Covid, only the grief and trauma the team has been through. While understandable and lamentable, what about players that lose loved ones? Can teams now cancel games for that reason? Would they have canceled those games if it was a walk on that collapsed? Seems like anything goes this year, but also seems like a potentially slippery slope.

Not at all meant as derogatory towards the kid or to diminish what happened to him. Just trying to understand the rules.
I'm assuming the 3 teams they were supposed to play would have to agree to the cancellations or else Florida would have to take forfeits. But if a school did that they would look really bad.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s not like the kid blew out his knee or even pulled a Kevin Ware. The team just watched one of their guys literally almost die in a freak accident. Even in a normal season I bet they would be given as many games off as necessary to regroup mentally after being a part of that.

Reaction Score
Nova and St John’s postponed their game because they wanted a break. There aren’t rules this season. The University of Florida’s decision shouldn’t be questioned. You could see their entire team be impacted in the huddle from that event.

Reaction Score
Nova and St John’s postponed their game because they wanted a break. There aren’t rules this season. The University of Florida’s decision shouldn’t be questioned. You could see their entire team be impacted in the huddle from that event.

Absolutely support teams wanting to take a break if they need it. No problem with the Florida decision, they need to do what's best for 18-22 year olds.

I do have a problem with Nova playing a meaningless game vs St. Joes today yet won't play a conference game. That is what bothers me. Cancel the meaningless game instead if you need a break...

Reaction Score
It’s not like the kid blew out his knee or even pulled a Kevin Ware. The team just watched one of their guys literally almost die in a freak accident. Even in a normal season I bet they would be given as many games off as necessary to regroup mentally after being a part of that.
That’s exactly my point. Who gets to define what’s traumatic and what isn’t? What if the coach’s wife dies? What if it’s one of the players’ parents? Just seems like a slippery slope to me. Life happens, I don’t ever remember teams getting to cancel games as a result before. Unless of course it’s a Marshall or Ok State situation.

Reaction Score
OOC games especially against those teams are essentially useless for a team like Florida. If anything playing them and losing is more hurtful than playing them and winning at this point.

Which again just proves my Nova point earlier why they not canceling today's game vs St. Joes is beyond dumb,

Reaction Score
That’s exactly my point. Who gets to define what’s traumatic and what isn’t? What if the coach’s wife dies? What if it’s one of the players’ parents? Just seems like a slippery slope to me. Life happens, I don’t ever remember teams getting to cancel games as a result before. Unless of course it’s a Marshall or Ok State situation.
The team and players get to define what is traumatic for them, certainly not a random message board poster like you. Mike White and the players decided they didn't want to play, other teams agreed, and games were cancelled

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This is really simple.

If you want to opt out of playing a game there are a bunch of ways to do it.

If you want to play a game there are a bunch of ways to do it.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
This is uncharted territory for everyone. Nobody wants to cancel games. I'm very generous with the benefit of the doubt these days.
Thank you for your blessing.

Reaction Score
Life happens, I don’t ever remember teams getting to cancel games as a result before. Unless of course it’s a Marshall or Ok State situation.
TCU basketball in 2018

Reaction Score
The team and players get to define what is traumatic for them, certainly not a random message board poster like you. Mike White and the players decided they didn't want to play, other teams agreed, and games were cancelled
What a crock. Lose your two best players to injuries? Too traumatic for us, we’re gonna cancel our next few games. Complete joke.

Reaction Score
They’re money games for the 3 teams they dumped. Contracts are contracts... it’s just business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom