Fixing UCONN's 2015 Offense: More Read-Option Runs? | The Boneyard

Fixing UCONN's 2015 Offense: More Read-Option Runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm now more convinced than ever that our 2015 offense will feature heavy doses of read-option runs. One positive that we have found in this dumpster fire season is that we will have two incredibly dynamic FR RBs in our backfield for many years to come. Both Shirreffs and Davis are more of an athletic breed of QB that would support the change in offensive philosophy to a read-option heavy playbook. Boyle probably has the strongest arm of the 2015 group and can move a little bit, but doesn't have that break-away speed needed for read-option. We'll likely see a platoon where Boyle gets snaps when we are losing and need to stretch the field and score quickly. I think we will wind up trying to find another QB through the JUCO or 5th Year transfer channels that can also run.

Anyway, I thought I'd start looking around for any sort of support for a run-first based offense. I found a staggering amount of content out there that breaks down run-first offenses vs. passing attack offenses. It seems like defenses have made adjustments to defend pass offenses by going smaller/faster.

I found an interesting read from the PostBulletin: http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_761ce591-3296-5b9c-a401-89d6d3130c7f.html

Here are the key highlights from the article, if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, that illustrate the point: more offenses are finding success running the football again.

"Defenses that have been built to withstand getting bombarded by passes and had been stretched thin by spread offenses for years are now finding it hard to plug holes. Offenses have rediscovered the running game, doing so with diversity and creativity.

Eighteen FBS teams are averaging more than 250 yards rushing per game. Last season, just 13 did that. The year before it was eight. In 2011 it was seven. In 2009, four teams averaged more than 250 yards rushing per game, and three of them were triple-option teams: Georgia Tech, Air Force and Navy.

Instead of the standard 4-3 (four defensive linemen and three linebackers) or 3-4 alignments, many teams had gone to a 4-2-5 set up or something similar with extra defensive back to cover extra receivers.

People recruit to stop the spread. A lot of times those guys are more space players than box players," said Baylor coach Art Briles, whose version of the spread has become as good at running through opponents as it is at throwing over them."

More thoughts: it does appear that there is a plan in recruiting. By bringing in size, particularly at WR/TE, this would seem to point to the need for better down field blocking. I'm interested to see what kind of bodies and athletes the coaching staff will try to bring in at OL. Will we go for leaner OL types that can get off their blocks and down field quicker to block 1st and 2nd levels? Or will we recruit the beef up front to open up holes in the first level and rely on our bigger WR/TEs to block down field? Granted, a read-option offense doesn't mean we are never going to throw the football. In fact, I can see this style of offense being attractive to WR/TEs as read-option also features quite a bit of play-action passes over the top of defenses to keep defenses honest.

Anyway, with all the talk on other threads about lack of plans from our coaching staff this season (and I certainly don't blame or fault anyone for thinking that...this season has been tough to digest and evaluate and I tend to agree with most of it!), I do see this as becoming the plan on offense. Read-option heavy playcalling seems to be in our future and the recruiting class of 2015 seems to cater to that style.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I'm now more convinced than ever that our 2015 offense will feature heavy doses of read-option runs. One positive that we have found in this dumpster fire season is that we will have two incredibly dynamic FR RBs in our backfield for many years to come. Both Shirreffs and Davis are more of an athletic breed of QB that would support the change in offensive philosophy to a read-option heavy playbook. Boyle probably has the strongest arm of the 2015 group and can move a little bit, but doesn't have that break-away speed needed for read-option. We'll likely see a platoon where Boyle gets snaps when we are losing and need to stretch the field and score quickly. I think we will wind up trying to find another QB through the JUCO or 5th Year transfer channels that can also run.

Anyway, I thought I'd start looking around for any sort of support for a run-first based offense. I found a staggering amount of content out there that breaks down run-first offenses vs. passing attack offenses. It seems like defenses have made adjustments to defend pass offenses by going smaller/faster.

I found an interesting read from the PostBulletin: http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_761ce591-3296-5b9c-a401-89d6d3130c7f.html

Here are the key highlights from the article, if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, that illustrate the point: more offenses are finding success running the football again.

"Defenses that have been built to withstand getting bombarded by passes and had been stretched thin by spread offenses for years are now finding it hard to plug holes. Offenses have rediscovered the running game, doing so with diversity and creativity.

Eighteen FBS teams are averaging more than 250 yards rushing per game. Last season, just 13 did that. The year before it was eight. In 2011 it was seven. In 2009, four teams averaged more than 250 yards rushing per game, and three of them were triple-option teams: Georgia Tech, Air Force and Navy.

Instead of the standard 4-3 (four defensive linemen and three linebackers) or 3-4 alignments, many teams had gone to a 4-2-5 set up or something similar with extra defensive back to cover extra receivers.

People recruit to stop the spread. A lot of times those guys are more space players than box players," said Baylor coach Art Briles, whose version of the spread has become as good at running through opponents as it is at throwing over them."

More thoughts: it does appear that there is a plan in recruiting. By bringing in size, particularly at WR/TE, this would seem to point to the need for better down field blocking. I'm interested to see what kind of bodies and athletes the coaching staff will try to bring in at OL. Will we go for leaner OL types that can get off their blocks and down field quicker to block 1st and 2nd levels? Or will we recruit the beef up front to open up holes in the first level and rely on our bigger WR/TEs to block down field? Granted, a read-option offense doesn't mean we are never going to throw the football. In fact, I can see this style of offense being attractive to WR/TEs as read-option also features quite a bit of play-action passes over the top of defenses to keep defenses honest.

Anyway, with all the talk on other threads about lack of plans from our coaching staff this season (and I certainly don't blame or fault anyone for thinking that...this season has been tough to digest and evaluate and I tend to agree with most of it!), I do see this as becoming the plan on offense. Read-option heavy playcalling seems to be in our future and the recruiting class of 2015 seems to cater to that style.
Good insights Dooley. I think you're right about the kind of offense we'll see starting next year. With two (or more) dual threat QBs coming on line in 2015, combined with an OL, RBs, WRs and TEs, with great game experience in 2014, there is every reason to be optimistic about our O in 2015. I just hope that one (or more) of our QBs emerges as a true leader who inspires confidence in the team, and can even carry them on his back when necessary (ala Kemba or Shabazz). I also hope our HC and OC are up to the task of applying personnel to their maximum potential, and coaching them to win on game days.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. Diaco is going to go with mobile QBs and more read option. I do not think Boyle is a shoe-in for the starting slot next season and I have to believe we take another QB in this class AND keep an eye out for a JUCO or transfer with ready eligibility.

Reaction Score
uconndogs said:
Definitely agree. Diaco is going to go with mobile QBs and more read option. I do not think Boyle is a shoe-in for the starting slot next season and I have to believe we take another QB in this class AND keep an eye out for a JUCO or transfer with ready eligibility.

Is that true? I got the impression he wanted to go heavy personnel, tight end based O.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Noooooooooooo!

Reaction Score
huskysupporter said:
Is that true? I got the impression he wanted to go heavy personnel, tight end based O.

I hope he goes foward with the two tight end offense he spoke about. If run correctly, it is mismatch central. Patriots use this style, Alabama as well.

We just need to make enormous improvements at tight end to make it work. I am holding out hope Hashemi is going to be an asset in the run game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A good read option team needs athletes we haven't been able to recruit. You can always get big fat guys and lock them in the weight room.

I'd like to see a return to the pulling guard type of running with some spread or west coast mixed in, if we can ever have good QB and WR at the same time.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I am ALL IN on triple option if it gets us 8-4 v.s. west coast, read option, two te and a 3-9 record.

Reaction Score
You can run read option with that type of line up. Look at BC this year. No wide receivers with any speed outside of the ex-Uconn player Phillips and even his speed is marginal (along with his hands). No RB's with any type of amazing break away speed. There were times they had 7 lineman on the field plus 2 tight ends. And they ran a read option based offense over 50% of the time with reasonable success.

The key is having a QB that can be a legitimate threat to run along with having exceptional ball handling/fake skills. A good read option set involves multiple sets, lots of pulling and trapping and solid decision making by the QB of when to pull the ball. If you can establish the identity as a true running team, then the play action with a lot of backside single coverage really opens things up. Want to run a spread based offense? Then you need a lot more quick guys and not so much a heavy set.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The key is having a QB that can be a legitimate threat to run along with having exceptional ball handling/fake skills. A good read option set involves multiple sets, lots of pulling and trapping and solid decision making by the QB of when to pull the ball. If you can establish the identity as a true running team, then the play action with a lot of backside single coverage really opens things up. Want to run a spread based offense? Then you need a lot more quick guys and not so much a heavy set.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best explanation yet. Well done.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A little OT but still related to this idea of a read option offense. Peter King wrote ana rticle talking about how the feeling in the NFL is that the QB position is slowly returning to the "pocket passer" mentality and players like Newton, Kaepernick, and RG3 have really flat lined and regressed. Will be interesting to see how the draft shakes out and if this really is true, how it impacts the college game....players wanna play in the NFL. If your team doesn't run a system that the NFL likes, you might not have as a good a shot being drafted if you go to a school that doesn't run a NFL offense.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/quarterback-market-draft-2015/

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Great posts. Yes more read option and I think D recruited Sheriffs for this. TB can be coached for this as well. He is not immobile.

Reaction Score
Alum86 said:
Great posts. Yes more read option and I think D recruited Sheriffs for this. TB can be coached for this as well. He is not immobile.

Boyle is slow. If we switch to read option and he is the starting qb, we will continue to be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom