Fixing football attendance in the NBE era. | The Boneyard

Fixing football attendance in the NBE era.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Welp. that happened. So what do we do now? To fix the impression that we aren't a big time football program.

1. Win, obviously, but how? Do we schedule up to for attendance or schedule down for wins?
2. Attendance. We really can't be playing in an empty Rent. We need to pack the place and that means cutting prices or more likely giving tickets away.
3. Placating Season ticket holders. Let's face it the plummeting of season ticket holders and bad attendance generally gave UConn cover to make this move. But those who stayed the course shouldn't be ripped off. Do we give 2-1 season tickets or some other real, material incentive to the people who supported the program?
4. Get teams that people give a fook about into the Rent. If we don't, might as well shut the doors.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Welp. that happened. So what do we do now? To fix the impression that we aren't a big time football program.

1. Win, obviously, but how? Do we schedule up to for attendance or schedule down for wins?
2. Attendance. We really can't be playing in an empty Rent. We need to pack the place and that means cutting prices or more likely giving tickets away.
3. Placating Season ticket holders. Let's face it the plummeting of season ticket holders and bad attendance generally gave UConn cover to make this move. But those who stayed the course shouldn't be ripped off. Do we give 2-1 season tickets or some other real, material incentive to the people who supported the program?
4. Get teams that people give a fook about into the Rent. If we don't, might as well shut the doors.

Thoughts?

We start spelling 'well' correctly to start. After that? there is no fix. Football is dying and the bball-only fans couldn't be happier.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
We start spelling 'well' correctly to start.

008.png

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Win above all else, but you need to play teams we actually care about. How we manage to do that now is a mystery. Only the most delusional managed to get excited for Tulsa and ECU.

And I hate to go all TDH cause he sucks but run a gimmick offense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The OOC schedule isn't horrible the next 5 years. Filling it in with equal or better draws and winning was always the path to better attendance. The P5 thing was always about schedule.

Reaction Score
Yeah if UCONN goes independent there zero way to attendance, even if you give tickets away. UCONN can go 7-3 every year and not make a bowl game.

Many fans who are season ticket holders won’t renew and won’t go to games.

I am honestly torn right now because I care about the team and players. My initial thought was I will not give another penny to UCONN, not as an alum and not by way of purchasing tickets.

I am leaning towards not going to another UCONN athletic event. No more football, basketball, baseball or hockey. I can’t support stupidity.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah if UCONN goes independent there zero way to attendance, even if you give tickets away. UCONN can go 7-3 every year and not make a bowl game.

Many fans who are season ticket holders won’t renew and won’t go to games.

I am honestly torn right now because I care about the team and players. My initial thought was I will not give another penny to UCONN, not as an alum and not by way of purchasing tickets.

I am leaning towards not going to another UCONN athletic event. No more football, basketball, baseball or hockey. I can’t support stupidity.
What we learn next week will go a long a way toward making that decision.

Reaction Score
Win above all else, but you need to play teams we actually care about. How we manage to do that now is a mystery. Only the most delusional managed to get excited for Tulsa and ECU.

And I hate to go all TDH cause he sucks but run a gimmick offense.

But what is the appeal as a fan? Watch a fun offense? Watch a winning independent team? Even if you get a bowl tie in it will likely be the Beefsteak Charlie’s Bowl. No shot to win any sort of championship.

Out already poor recruiting will get markedly worse. 300 people will show up to games. And the team will be hemorrhaging $$$.

Shut it down.

Reaction Score
What we learn next week will go a long a way toward making that decision.

I honestly admire your patience. I was obviously devastated at the news when it first came out.

CL82

Reaction Score
I honestly admire your patience. I was obviously devastated at the news when it first came out.
Well it may be just delaying the inevitable.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the 2023 home schedule is

Duke
NC State
Rutgers
Rhode Island
Liberty
UMass

And the road schedule is

BC
BYU
Buffalo
Army
Ball State
Toledo

You're all telling me you won't keep the faith?

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
1. No clue.
2-4. Tickets are already basically free. If people aren’t coming for 5$ on stubhub, they aren’t coming for free, either.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
FSU
Miami
Vetch
SMU
UCF
Florida international
La tech
Southern miss
Uab
Air Force
Arkansas
Coastal Carolina
Louisiana Lafayette

Are the schools that have openings in 2020. Can we find 8 teams to play us?

Reaction Score
Well it may be just delaying the inevitable.

I hear you. But you have taken the high road wait and see approach, just something I can’t do as it is so obvious the move was atrocious for the athletic program not just football.

With the buyout, reduced payout for several years in BE its not even going to be money generating.

Absolutely kills me. I can’t support this university anymore. Last ten years I have been donating $$$ because I felt like there was at least hope. There is none.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Games haven't been fun for years. They've become a chore, an obligation.

Reaction Score
Let's c how this season goes i feel the program will turn the corner this season 2020 put together a win able schedule already have 2 big 10 games schedule being a independent will work out

Reaction Score
Any salvation for UConn football should start with new leadership. How can you justify DB and HCRE 2.0 taking this program forward as an independent after failing to move the needle at all to this point.
DB has NEVER built a program and IMO has fumbled all major decisions with the exception of MBB.
HCRE 2.0 has been an unimaginative failure. Good man, hard worker, but to overcome the abys we are sailing towards will require a imaginative, strong, relatable leadership group. Randy's idea of marketing is to throw the ol' block C out there. I'm sure that really struck a cord with the 18 year olds.
The twitter he threw out there was a bad look. Sgt Shultz, really?
It's stale, it's untenable and wait until the young men of UConn football line up for the transfer portal.
No conference plus no players = no chance.
Granted, this might be one of the most challenging jobs in the modern history of college football given the current landscape, but IMO the current leadership team has given no indication that they are up for a heavier lift than the previous challenges that they have unsuccessfully tackled.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There is a combination of things that need to happen. Most off the field and then the heavy lifting on the field.

1) Create an alliance for scheduling purposes - service academies, locals, 1 Florida school like USF, Big 10 conference, etc.

2) Create bowl tie ins

3) Drop seat donation and make season tix affordable

4) Build up on field product focusing on academics and player development and winning.

5) Create a football partnership with SNY. Then we really are New York's Team and if we can get eyeballs on the games, then we can market New York as the home base and build out from there.

6) I truly think the next round of alignment will mortally wound either the AAC (If Houston, UCF or Cinnci leave) or really hurt the Big 12 - (if Oklahoma and Texas leave). Then I think there will be some teams willing to create a new conference and UConn could be at the forefront of starting it with a Northeast base.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom