OT: - Fixing a golf slice? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Fixing a golf slice?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Watching some of the Master's preview on golf channel tonight and they were detailing the overall improvement and consistency in DJ's game since he changed from a draw swing to a power fade.

As Lee Trevino said - "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen".

A fade or slice which travels a 1/2 fairway off center or less isn't anything to worry about off the tee.

Bigger issue to me is learning how to pure an iron to the green.
'Bigger issue to me is learning how to pure an iron to the green.'
i am unfamiliar with the phrase 'to pure an iron to the green.'
what does it mean?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
'Bigger issue to me is learning how to pure an iron to the green.'
i am unfamiliar with the phrase 'to pure an iron to the green.'
what does it mean?

When I talk about hitting an iron pure to the green I mean hitting it square in the sweet spot of the iron on the correct trajectory and a distance in the 95%-100% of how far I should be hitting it normally. When you hit it pure you almost don't even feel the ball hitting the club face.

I'm a distance control freak on the course with my irons. I can handle be offline left or right but I get pissed when I misclub and hit short or long, if I chunk a ball short or blade one long. Especially true on a par 3's where I can tee it up. Hitting the right distance is a combination of knowing the true length you hit your clubs on average, assessing course conditions and weather conditions. All of those are basic skills and don't require any specific level of athleticism or strength. It's really about being honest with yourself about your game. "What club in my bag will most likely allow me to get where I want to go with this shot?"

And if your comment of being unfamiliar was in jest, I get it.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hard to say without seeing your swing. I used to have that problem. How wide is your stance? How far from the ball are you standing? How fast is your swing! If you are actually swinging from the outside without knowing it, sometimes doing one or more of adjusting your distance to the ball, narrowing your stance a little, slowing the swing a bit, can help. If you are right handed, make sure your right foot is lined up a little bit behind the left, or at worst square with it. If none of that works, play a round with Businesslaw or just skip the round and go to the bar.

Reaction Score
as a long time golfer, i agree with what has been said. start by making sure you can see at least one knuckle on your left hand when you address the ball - if that is not enough, then rotate your left hand so that you can see two knuckles, or three. then also practice with something like a towel tucked into your right armpit to keep your right elbow from flying off on its own, which causes an outside in slicing swing. and then you can also close your stance a bit and do not swing too hard - let your hands catch up the rest of the swing - let everything work together. and please, try to figure this out at the range, not on the course, for everyone's sake. plus there are now clubs that have variable weights that can help. good luck.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
as a long time golfer, i agree with what has been said. start by making sure you can see at least one knuckle on your left hand when you address the ball - if that is not enough, then rotate your left hand so that you can see two knuckles, or three. then also practice with something like a towel tucked into your right armpit to keep your right elbow from flying off on its own, which causes an outside in slicing swing. and then you can also close your stance a bit and do not swing too hard - let your hands catch up the rest of the swing - let everything work together. and please, try to figure this out at the range, not on the course, for everyone's sake. plus there are now clubs that have variable weights that can help. good luck.

Gotta disagree on rotating the lead hand until you see two or three knuckles. There are a lot of things that can affect a swing based on height, weight, flexibility, arm length..............................

One thing every golfer can do and should do is get their grip correct. A slightly strong or weak grip of 1/2-1 knuckle is all anyone should move off the default.

Reaction Score
Watching some of the Master's preview on golf channel tonight and they were detailing the overall improvement and consistency in DJ's game since he changed from a draw swing to a power fade.

As Lee Trevino said - "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen".

A fade or slice which travels a 1/2 fairway off center or less isn't anything to worry about off the tee.

Bigger issue to me is learning how to pure an iron to the green.
There is a HUGE difference between DJ’s fade and a newbie’s slice. DJ doesn’t need the extra distance either.

Reaction Score
There is a HUGE difference between DJ’s fade and a newbie’s slice. DJ doesn’t need the extra distance either.
Nicklaus was a fader.. Had more control of the ball without giving up much distance.

DJ started his career as a draw guy.. Played some practice rounds just hitting fades..Was shooting 61/62/61 playing the fade. Never went back.

Source: Golf Digest Article on DJ

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
One last thing make sure your lead elbow is pointed at your target.....

Reaction Score
When I talk about hitting an iron pure to the green I mean hitting it square in the sweet spot of the iron on the correct trajectory and a distance in the 95%-100% of how far I should be hitting it normally. When you hit it pure you almost don't even feel the ball hitting the club face.

I'm a distance control freak on the course with my irons. I can handle be offline left or right but I get pissed when I misclub and hit short or long, if I chunk a ball short or blade one long. Especially true on a par 3's where I can tee it up. Hitting the right distance is a combination of knowing the true length you hit your clubs on average, assessing course conditions and weather conditions. All of those are basic skills and don't require any specific level of athleticism or strength. It's really about being honest with yourself about your game. "What club in my bag will most likely allow me to get where I want to go with this shot?"

And if your comment of being unfamiliar was in jest, I get it.
Chin.. Admire your aspirations of wanting to pure your irons into the greens.

The guys on Tour say they might pure 3 to 5 shots a round and the rest of the time they are just trying to manage their good misses with strategic course management.Don't beat yourself up too much if you're not puring it more than these guys.

Rhythm-Balance-Tempo with the right grip pressure can help in finding the sweet spot.

As they say-Golf doesn't build character-It shows character. LOL

Last edited:

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Jake, how is your progress?

Good. I'm trying to be mindful of a slow, controlled swing and a strong grip. Still trying to make sure I get aligned with that second tee. When I'm successful I definitely see a straighter shot, but I've also lost some distance. I'm focusing on mitigating that slice though. I will focus on distance when I start to feel more comfortable with the new technique. So that will probably be next year some time ?

Reaction Score
Good. I'm trying to be mindful of a slow, controlled swing and a strong grip. Still trying to make sure I get aligned with that second tee. When I'm successful I definitely see a straighter shot, but I've also lost some distance. I'm focusing on mitigating that slice though. I will focus on distance when I start to feel more comfortable with the new technique. So that will probably be next year some time ?
Once you groove the swing line, try keeping a 3/4 swing. Instead of a full arc, swing a little stronger on the down stroke from the 3/4. Slow measured back swing, strong left hand grip, strong swing through the ball. You will get the distance with clean contact on the 3/4 swing and you will be in more control.

keep it simple and get that inside-out motion over the second tee!

Reaction Score
If it's a block slice, one of the simplest things to try is just really slow down the back swing.

A guy I worked with (when I mowed fairways) had a steady slice that needed a turn signal. His backswing was as almost as quick and violent as his down swing. Our boss/superintendent, who was pretty good, had him slow down his back swing and his slice became a gentle fade. Now, he still couldn't putt to save his life, but it took a bunch of strokes off his game.

Reaction Score
I would like some advice on how to get to the left side better as you come through on your swing. Good golfers end up with their weight on the left heel or foot (right handed). So many of us are back on our right foot. See it most of the time. That would square the hands at impact and solve the accuracy, slice and distance problems.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by “strong” grip? Hope it isn’t how tightly you grip the club... that’s the source of most problems for amateurs. Use only enough pressure to hold the club parallel to the ground.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What do you mean by “strong” grip? Hope it isn’t how tightly you grip the club... that’s the source of most problems for amateurs. Use only enough pressure to hold the club parallel to the ground.
My grip advice would be firm with the left hand. This is in the fingers and palm, but not in the wrist or forearm.

A neutral grip has the “Vs” of your thumb pointing to your shoulders, up your arms. Left V to left shoulder, Right V to right shoulder. A “strong” grip rotates the left hand “a little” so the left V is to your chin or right ear. This can help cure a slice by encouraging the inside out motion.

We risk putting too much on the plate though, and making things complicated! Keep it simple! If Jake can tick that 2nd Tee he has developed the inside-out swing.

Closing the stance can help: close both the feet and hips. Shortening the swing can help. Keeping the right elbow in can help. A “strong grip” can help (firm in the left hand, slightly rotating the V to the right ear).

I disagree that “too firm” a left hand grip is a big problem for many, unless that translates to a stiff wrist and forearm.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Not how tight but more making sure my hands are positioned correctly.

Reaction Score
Not how tight but more making sure my hands are positioned correctly.
Vs to the right ear. Are you using interlocking or overlapping? I find that it’s easy to lose proper positioning with interlocking, but had to switch to that a few years ago. Just takes more focus.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I knew that... wasn’t sure if a casual newbie did. That’s why I wanted a clarification.
I figured as much, but I thought I would just reply with the information.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom