FIU WBB Coach Accused of Sexual Misconduct | The Boneyard

FIU WBB Coach Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This looks like one of those things that no matter how it ends, it will end up ugly.
Forget about 'end up', it has started ugly! Crossed that line in the first sentence.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wow!

The series of text messages?? If she has those it will be ugly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For starters, these allegations sound horrendous and if substantiated the guy should be (and will be) tossed out on his ear and lucky to get any job in basketball or any school environment ever again.

But, reading the article, it sounds a bit strange to me, and am I just naive in terms of victims being able to stand up for themselves? According to this account things started pretty much as soon as Chinn arrived - the first date mentioned is July 15th of last year for text messages, and they escalated pretty quickly. Pretty explicit texts from mid December. There was a loan of cash at the end of December with pretty clear innuendo, 'vivid in my memory'. But the first contact with school officials is Feb 25, and happens at the same time they file a complaint with the NCAA which also coincides with her being suspended for at least one game for using a teammates money card for 'food' to the tune of $350 that she has 'paid back on Monday.' That all just seems like a very long time line.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I won't question the time line, etc., I think TJI's point about power dynamics are valid.

BUT - according to the article she admitted doing what she was purportedly suspended for, then says if was for not accepting his advances. Um, I would think it was one or the other?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Destini Feagin was originally with the Cincy Bobcats with Jamelle Elliott after playing HS ball at Nazareth Regional (Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Hopefully she has all her digital evidence

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I won't question the time line, etc., I think TJI's point about power dynamics are valid.

BUT - according to the article she admitted doing what she was purportedly suspended for, then says if was for not accepting his advances. Um, I would think it was one or the other?

I think the question is: Would he suspend her four games for that if there wasn't something else going on?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the question is: Would he suspend her four games for that if there wasn't something else going on?
It depends, and I don't fully understand these voucher cards or why one player paying for another player would be a violation of team rules unless the usage was not authorized by the other player - and $350 is a huge single bill for 'food' - that is like a weekly grocery shop for a family of six, or a pretty expensive dinner out for six. If it was 'unauthorized' then it would explain an open-ended suspension.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last post here.
In reading over this thread I just realized I don't like my posts, because while the story line is unclear to me, the facts presented are damning to the coach and that is the bottom line - if any of the facts are true - he should and I assume will be fired and I hope he does not ever work in basketball or in a position of authority over young women. That is the bottom line and the rest is just quibbling.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Last post here.
In reading over this thread I just realized I don't like my posts, because while the story line is unclear to me, the facts presented are damning to the coach and that is the bottom line - if any of the facts are true - he should and I assume will be fired and I hope he does not ever work in basketball or in a position of authority over young women. That is the bottom line and the rest is just quibbling.

I try to make a point of treating allegations as nothing more than that, as opposed to rushing to judgment or succumbing to a lynch-mob mentality.

However, after reading all the lurid details laid out in the Miami Herald article, all I can say is that if even one-fourth of that stuff is true, then it looks very, very bad for him.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I try to make a point of treating allegations as nothing more than that, as opposed to rushing to judgment or succumbing to a lynch-mob mentality.

However, after reading all the lurid details laid out in the Miami Herald article, all I can say is that if even one-fourth of that stuff is true, then it looks very, very bad for him.
A very short time ago I wrote & thought the same (coach could not survive if 1/4 of the allegations were true) about the accusations of segregation at Illinois. He has survived mostly because the allegations were proven false. Sex is an entirely different matter, he might retain his job but where will he get his reputation back and who would trust him ever again around their kids.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A very short time ago I wrote & thought the same (coach could not survive if 1/4 of the allegations were true) about the accusations of segregation at Illinois. He has survived mostly because the allegations were proven false. Sex is an entirely different matter, he might retain his job but where will he get his reputation back and who would trust him ever again around their kids.
the case against Morgan's sister and a few other players is solved?

Reaction Score
Former FIU women's basketball player arrested
Posted: May 03, 2016 12:36 PM EDTUpdated: May 03, 2016 12:36 PM EDT
MIAMI (WSVN) -- A former Florida International University women's basketball player, who accused her head coach of sexual misconduct, has been arrested.

The 22-year-old athlete, Destini Feagin, was arrested, Tuesday, after allegedly committing credit card fraud and petit theft.

MORE...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, this certainly explains the suspension being open ended, and would appear to be completely unrelated to what ever other dynamics were going on. In similar situations students have been kicked out of school, not just suspended or dismissed from teams.
Does not in anyway let the coach off the hook for the other harassment, though it certainly raises questions about whether the evidence and accusations there might be as strong as indicated in the initial article.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Well, the original article said she admitted using someone's "Panther Bucks" card (I guess that is the same as an "FIU Wells Fargo Debit Card") to spend $350 but she claimed she had paid it back. I'm supposing she didn't pay it back, based on the arrest. Not because that should "forgive" the theft, or prevent punishment, but as a practical matter . . .

As I suggested in an earlier post, it was a bit odd that she admitted this issue and yet claimed her suspension was for a different reason. As UcM says, doesn't mean the other stuff didn't happen.

Reaction Score
If all this is true and provable ---he's a dead duck. If true--how stupid can one guy be?
If true he should have gone to the Admin/AD and ask for financial help for a hungry girl.
If true --just pull in the dirt your coffin is closed--dead duck!! The Courant in the last 4 or so years has had teacher after teacher, of either sex, admitting to having sex with students as young as 11--so this is no surprise. What surprises me--is these idiots think they can get away with it --and they are supposed to intelligent,educated adults???? May be we have to rewrite the definition of ADULT~~

Reaction Score
If all this is true and provable ---he's a dead duck. If true--how stupid can one guy be?
If true he should have gone to the Admin/AD and ask for financial help for a hungry girl.
If true --just pull in the dirt your coffin is closed--dead duck!! The Courant in the last 4 or so years has had teacher after teacher, of either sex, admitting to having sex with students as young as 11--so this is no surprise. What surprises me--is these idiots think they can get away with it --and they are supposed to intelligent,educated adults???? May be we have to rewrite the definition of ADULT~~
He may have gotten away with it before this.

Reaction Score
Well, the original article said she admitted using someone's "Panther Bucks" card (I guess that is the same as an "FIU Wells Fargo Debit Card") to spend $350 but she claimed she had paid it back. I'm supposing she didn't pay it back, based on the arrest. Not because that should "forgive" the theft, or prevent punishment, but as a practical matter . . .

As I suggested in an earlier post, it was a bit odd that she admitted this issue and yet claimed her suspension was for a different reason. As UcM says, doesn't mean the other stuff didn't happen.
Neither of those involved look altogether intelligent, adult, understand the separation between those in your charge and you. I argued this with you a year or so ago--same subject--any person in charge must keep a professional distance. CD does that for Geno. Courts will also look at the "image" of impropriety . If the person in your charge (teacher, priest, other clergy, scouts, littleleague, HS, MSchool, College profs/coaches/instructors/tutors) if you touch them, or tell them how smart, beautiful, great bod, sensual they are ---you are opening a door you may not be able to close---many institutions would rather discharge, fire, not complete the contrat than open itself up to bad PR or scandal or legal processes. The person in charge --is in charge..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom