FIU - Season Direction Signposts. Which Way? What Say You? | The Boneyard

FIU - Season Direction Signposts. Which Way? What Say You?

Reaction Score
The third game into the season can't be "labeled" a must win, conversely you can't underestimate the importance. Lots of positive momentum going into the NC State game was manifested in a great attendance turnout (best in ten plus years) Need to keep this mojo in place with a solid game performance and W over FIU. It's critical to keep UCONN football top of mind with casual fans, including students. A win would go a long way toward keeping fans engaged - especially those that aren't Yarders. A loss and interest wanes with all signs pointing toward a losing season. 0-3 means that a 6-6 season is a stretch with tough road games against the Vols and James Madison.

Beating FIU helps set up for a big crowd against a very good Duke team and keeps fans engaged. Need to be offensively interesting with big plays. Need offensive cred beyond the ground and pound that's been a hallmark of UCONN football. Fast football needs to be a part of the equation.

What happens may portend how the season unfolds. All the signs are going to be there. Let's hope they point in the right direction. What say you?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Interestingly, I saw UConn as 8.5-9 point favorites online last night. I think the 3rd game can be a must win if you've lost the first 2 and are expected to win the 3rd. This is a must win and I also think it needs to be a statement game with the new QB. This team needs some good mojo. My hope is that what I saw at the end of GA State will be carried over to this game. Sustained, exciting offense and giving the D a break.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
But I know mentally a close win will be letdown.
Cannot agree more. A win this weekend should be emphatic, like the team is angry it's only 1-2 (need an old priest and a young priest to exorcise this mediocrity). I don't want anyone on FIU hurt, but the Huskies need to utterly dominate to get fans believing.

Reaction Score
Right now?

Down arrow. All the way down.

Sure. They can change it but it’s down.

Georgia State isn’t even close to the toughest team we will play and they wupped us.

And NC State is likely terrible.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If this anything other than a win and getting guys reps, then the season is doooooomed.

Reaction Score
The third game into the season can't be "labeled" a must win, conversely you can't underestimate the importance.
What say you? You state the FSU game can't be labeled as a must win, then continued sentence after sentence on how it should be. ;)
It is a must win game to keep any of the fair weather fans that showed up week one. If this is a loss it will be a long season for us diehards. That and plenty of room to sit anywhere for the occasional walk up.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we want to go bowling, thinking 5-6 wins, this is a must win.

Reaction Score
I do think this is a "must win" type of game. And squeaking out a win will not cut it. You go 0-3 here and you start staring down the barrel of another one of those now typical disastrous seasons that UConn fans and players know all too well.

At some point you have to turn the corner and start winning or else people (fans, players, etc.) are going to check out. If the winning doesn't start happening with this game, well ...

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Mora can rally the troops or if they lost the faith. They can win this thing and right the ship. Can’t roll over when they encounter adversity.

Reaction Score
FIU is absolutely a must-win, and it's closer to must-blow-them-out than a simple must-win in my view. I think it was okay to lose to Georgia State on the road, but it wasn't okay to get destroyed like we did. The pendulum needs to swing back from "getting dominated" toward "dominating", or else we'll have to accept that our expectations were too high this year. FIU is a team that we beat by two scores on the road last year. If we're truly a better team this year, which is the narrative we've been fed all offseason from coaches and pundits alike, then we have to dominate.

Reaction Score
its not the disaster that defines you, it is what happens after the disaster that defines you.
And if the response after losing badly a game away when you were only a slight underdog ... is to lose at home in a game you were favored to WIN, well, that would be crushing. My suggestion is to crush FIU and get ready for Duke with the proper mindset. Wash away that guilt and get something done.

Reaction Score
It’s hard for me to judge FIU. Through two games I saw on twitter our defense leads the FBS in missed tackles. We probably also have the worst OC of any G5 school when comparing production to salary. So while we should win, it wouldn’t surprise me if it doesn’t feel good. Hope we do win.

Reaction Score
It’s hard for me to judge FIU. Through two games I saw on twitter our defense leads the FBS in missed tackles. We probably also have the worst OC of any G5 school when comparing production to salary. So while we should win, it wouldn’t surprise me if it doesn’t feel good. Hope we do win.
Do OCs ever get fired mid season in CFB?

Reaction Score
The missed tackles won’t get fixed overnight. They’ll need to have some options for every scenario. They’ll need multiple guys making the plays.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom