First Time No Preseason Ap All-americans Since 2007-08 ... So What! | The Boneyard

First Time No Preseason Ap All-americans Since 2007-08 ... So What!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Rich Elliot’s article “Hayes, Dolson Named AP Honorable Mention All-Americans this is the first time since 2007-08 that the Huskies do not have a player on the preseason All-America team. I’m OK with this, since the 2007-08 team went 36-2 and made the NCAA Final Four. For the 2011-12 team this would be an amazing accomplishment. BTW in 2007-08 Maya Moore made first team AP All-American and both Tina Charles and Renee Montgomery made third team AP All-American. Not bad for not much ink in the preseason projection of All-Americans. It would be nice to see Tiffany Hayes making first team AP All-American and both Stephanie Dolson and Bria Hartley making third team AP All-American for 2011-12. At least!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Individual stardom is neither essential nor a guarantee of success.

In their long and storied history, the Boston Celtics never had a player lead the league in scoring.

Among great hitters who never hit 50 home runs in a season are sluggers named Gehrig, Williams, DiMaggio and (look it up!) Hank Aaron.

Take it from an old meshugener. This team is going to do just fine.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to win the national championship without a bona fide All American leading the way. As written repeatedly, ad nauseum, UConn has never won a national championship without a current First Team All American on the floor, or without a current or future National Player of the Year on the floor.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
UConn is not going to win the national championship without a bona fide All American leading the way. As written repeatedly, ad nauseum, UConn has never won a national championship without a current First Team All American on the floor, or without a current or future National Player of the Year on the floor.

Does the All-American make the team a success or vice versa?
Are you also saying there is no potential future National Player of the Year on the floor?
I'm not saying this is a National Championship year, but the possibility is always there when you have this much talent and the world's best coaching.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
By the end of the season there will be at least one or two All American's on the floor for UConn.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
By the end of the season there will be at least one or two All American's on the floor for UConn.
There already are...it will just take a little longer for them to be appropriately recognized ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm with you and Bruin, though I still don't know who they are.
This is Tiffany's team. She's 114-2. I expect greatness from her.

Stef will be a key in the offensive flow and defense. Griner may be the only better true center.

If Kelly is shooting really well, adding that to a great all-around game makes her very, very valuable.

Bria is a clutch player who did a lot as a frosh and has further improved.

I expect all of the above to make 1st or 2nd team All-Big East.

Then there is the one who is a great, great basketball player, best shooter we've had, who never gets tired, and wears "the number." Kaleena will be an All-American either this year or next.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree, Milford, I do not know who they will be but I expect the play of this team to demand that at least one and likely two players will emerge as AA. these are things yet to be revealed.

Reaction Score
UCONN has never been a team that prides itself on individual awards. However, they are great recognition to those student athletes and to the coaching staff, but I think it would be hard to disagree that UCONN wants to win it all as a team!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Are you including 1st team, 2nd team and Honorable Mention

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree, Milford, I do not know who they will be but I expect the play of this team to demand that at least one and likely two players will emerge as AA. these are things yet to be revealed.
If Caroline is healthy and not too rusty, we may have 6 kids all of whom are roughly equal in effectiveness, if not scoring. Maybe Banks can push her way into the mix as a seventh. If some of them are consistently good, those will be the ones who emerge. If the team can put up 35 or so wins, the players will get recognition.

Stef should put up big numbers against most teams. Tiff appears to be at the top of her game regularly. And Kaleena, whom we have not really seen yet, has Gampel Wall and NPOY potential. I think those are the most likely, but I agree that the journey will be interesting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
10 player first team was my assumption.
Me too. That is the requirment for the Gampel Wall. The AP 5-member team is tough to make. The Kodak/State Farm 10-member team will have a Husky on it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let me get away from being the "Voice of Reason" and throw out a provocative thought for reflection and comment:

With several outstanding players on this year's team, at least by the end of the season, the best player will be a freshman, Kaleena Lewis.

Next year, with an even more talented team, Kaleena Lewis will be our second best player. Freshman Breanna Stewart will be the best player and present problems for opponents that they couldn't even imagine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Voice of Treason i say! i think in some ways it's hard to say who the "best" player on the floor is. is it the person who scores the most? the one who plays the best defense? the one who has the most assists? i honestly think the "best" player on the floor is going to be the team this year, and i'm not saying that to avoid picking anyone in particular.

Bria has shown she can be unstoppable in scoring. Tiff was our 2nd leading scorer last year and has shown huge improvements going into this year. Kelly AVERAGED 8 PPG, 7 RPG, 4 APG and 2 StealsPG. she was 2nd on the team in boards, assists, and steals only to Maya. so my point is i think anyone can be POG in any given game this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Voice of Treason i say! i think in some ways it's hard to say who the "best" player on the floor is. is it the person who scores the most? the one who plays the best defense? the one who has the most assists? i honestly think the "best" player on the floor is going to be the team this year, and i'm not saying that to avoid picking anyone in particular.

Bria has shown she can be unstoppable in scoring. Tiff was our 2nd leading scorer last year and has shown huge improvements going into this year. Kelly AVERAGED 8 PPG, 7 RPG, 4 APG and 2 StealsPG. she was 2nd on the team in boards, assists, and steals only to Maya. so my point is i think anyone can be POG in any given game this year.

Thanks BIRTHDAY DUDE!

I agree that we will have several POGs over the course of the season. But if someone gets that 10 or more times, that may be our AA candidate.

"Best" may be difficult to determine. I think stats convince the AA voters, but coaches' comments do as well. Watching games closely, one can assess the impact of the various players, but no one can watch every game of even the major teams.

Last year, I think I could figure out who the best player was. About a half dozen times, it was Tiffany. On occasion, it was Bria, Stef, or Kelly. But mostly, it was the player who wore the red cape and the big S on the front of her jersey--SuperMaya.

Reaction Score
Does the All-American make the team a success or vice versa?
Are you also saying there is no potential future National Player of the Year on the floor?
I'm not saying this is a National Championship year, but the possibility is always there when you have this much talent and the world's best coaching.

An All American on a good team will make the team a success.

If there is not a future National Player of the Year on the 2011-2012 Uconn WBB Team, then, they will not win a national championship this year. Of course, we will not know until 2015. As to whether there is a potential NPOY on the current UConn roster, we will have a better idea by January.

If there are no All Americans on this year's team, UConn willl not make the Final Four. I am very high on the possibility of Stefanie Dolson becoming a First Team All American this season, but do not believe they make the Final Four.

Reaction Score
UCONN has never been a team that prides itself on individual awards. However, they are great recognition to those student athletes and to the coaching staff, but I think it would be hard to disagree that UCONN wants to win it all as a team!

Not true. All one has to do is scan the media guide to realize that is not true.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is another good Boneyard discussion. Seems to me that a five player AA team has three spots almost guaranteed for Griner, Nneka and Diggins. If that is so, two spots are open and unlikely that Stef would be considered for one of them. So by my logic, Tiffany or Bria would be our best hopes.

A ten-player team? Stef would seem to have a very good shot, with Tiffany and Bria as possibles.

I happen to believe that UConn will win the NC, that someone may make the five-player AA team, and that at least one UConn player will be on the ten-player AA team. Stay tuned.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is another good Boneyard discussion. Seems to me that a five player AA team has three spots almost guaranteed for Griner, Nneka and Diggins. If that is so, two spots are open and unlikely that Stef would be considered for one of them. So by my logic, Tiffany or Bria would be our best hopes.

A ten-player team? Stef would seem to have a very good shot, with Tiffany and Bria as possibles.

I happen to believe that UConn will win the NC, that someone may make the five-player AA team, and that at least one UConn player will be on the ten-player AA team. Stay tuned.
Exactly how I was breaking it down, Kib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom