First-time in-person thoughts | The Boneyard

First-time in-person thoughts

Reaction Score
Last night at UCF was my first time this year seeing the team in person. As most of us know, seeing them in person is often nothing like seeing them on TV and boy, was that ever true in this case. So, for whatever they are worth, here are a few observations.
Having a center: When ONO is in and on her game, something like a kind of peace comes over the team. It's like they know they can always fall back on "In to Liv," and make it work. So they run their other plays and sometimes toss it to her and she sometimes does good stuff with it and that's how it goes. When she is not in the game, this is a very different team, and there really is no one who replaces her. Kyla (more on her in a minute) is not a center. Griffin has natural athletic ability and as of right now, little else.
ONO: At one point, an average-sized player tied her up because Liv brought the ball she'd captured down to her waist, for some reason. Twice she took and missed shots that she started below shoulder height. These are really fundamental problems that will keep her from getting better. Never mind the fouls, some of which last night weren't. These basics will keep her from doing well, even when she is playing against less-talented opponents.
The disappearing act: How do they do this? I watched it happen time after time, and I still cannot explain it. They will bring the ball down the court and suddenly, no one gets open. Kyla or Anna or Crystal will have the ball and look for passing option 1, 2 and 3, and none of them are available, either because they are covered, or because they haven't moved to someplace where the opponent isn't. They just stop. It's the only way I can think to explain it, and it is the ugliest offense I have seen on a UConn team in years. This includes Christyn (very little offense except for an amazingly pretty drive that teasingly reminds us of how talented she really is) and now they even have Megan disappearing at times, too.
Kyla: Whatever magic she'd captured earlier in the season has, I'm sorry to say, pretty much worn off. She got a really nice three later in the game, but her routine of setting pick after pick after pick and constantly looking to pass the ball just means the opponent can ignore her. You want to love this kid, but it's hard to love her game right now.
Anna: Someone please get some glue and attach this kid's feet to the floor. She does some kind of shuffle-thing when she gets the ball that drives some - not all, but some -- refs nuts. Four traveling calls last night. I don't know exactly what it is, but they've got to get that out of her system. She does a lot of good things really well, but also makes some silly freshman passes to nowhere (or in one case, straight to an opponent), and that foul on the three -point shot was a setup that she should have seen coming a mile away.
Crystal: She makes some really nice shots, time after time, and often holds the team together. But she does not seem to have answers when her teammates fall into a daze. If this is supposed to be her team -- meaning that she is supposed to be the leader -- she's the one who's got to try to pull it together more consistently on the court. That just may be too much to ask of her.
UCF is not a juggernaut. They lost by a decent margin to an okay Cincinnati team recently. They have one really good shooter and a couple of frontcourt players with decent size, but they are not particularly talented. Yet this year's version of Huskies made them look like a real tough opponent. I had thought that the AAC season would allow the team to work on weaknesses to get ready for the tough games. Instead, they are getting exposed by teams like Memphis and UCF, teams whose coaches have figured out ways to clog up the halfcourt game, play energetic defense and make life miserable for whichever player seems to have the hot hand. As a result, rather that improving as the tough games come up, the team seems to be trending downward, with weaknesses re-exposed game after game. This is not a good sign at all.
I'm sorry to be a pessimist about all this, but even though UConn won the game, last night was a real eye-opener, and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
All season I have felt that the problem is that Crystal is not leading the team, particularly out of trouble. Maybe it is too much to ask of her.

Might they all do better if she played the 2 and let one of the other guards play the point? Then she could concentrate on her scoring and relax into a leadership role.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last night at UCF was my first time this year seeing the team in person. As most of us know, seeing them in person is often nothing like seeing them on TV and boy, was that ever true in this case. So, for whatever they are worth, here are a few observations.
Having a center: When ONO is in and on her game, something like a kind of peace comes over the team. It's like they know they can always fall back on "In to Liv," and make it work. So they run their other plays and sometimes toss it to her and she sometimes does good stuff with it and that's how it goes. When she is not in the game, this is a very different team, and there really is no one who replaces her. Kyla (more on her in a minute) is not a center. Griffin has natural athletic ability and as of right now, little else.
ONO: At one point, an average-sized player tied her up because Liv brought the ball she'd captured down to her waist, for some reason. Twice she took and missed shots that she started below shoulder height. These are really fundamental problems that will keep her from getting better. Never mind the fouls, some of which last night weren't. These basics will keep her from doing well, even when she is playing against less-talented opponents.
The disappearing act: How do they do this? I watched it happen time after time, and I still cannot explain it. They will bring the ball down the court and suddenly, no one gets open. Kyla or Anna or Crystal will have the ball and look for passing option 1, 2 and 3, and none of them are available, either because they are covered, or because they haven't moved to someplace where the opponent isn't. They just stop. It's the only way I can think to explain it, and it is the ugliest offense I have seen on a UConn team in years. This includes Christyn (very little offense except for an amazingly pretty drive that teasingly reminds us of how talented she really is) and now they even have Megan disappearing at times, too.
Kyla: Whatever magic she'd captured earlier in the season has, I'm sorry to say, pretty much worn off. She got a really nice three later in the game, but her routine of setting pick after pick after pick and constantly looking to pass the ball just means the opponent can ignore her. You want to love this kid, but it's hard to love her game right now.
Anna: Someone please get some glue and attach this kid's feet to the floor. She does some kind of shuffle-thing when she gets the ball that drives some - not all, but some -- refs nuts. Four traveling calls last night. I don't know exactly what it is, but they've got to get that out of her system. She does a lot of good things really well, but also makes some silly freshman passes to nowhere (or in one case, straight to an opponent), and that foul on the three -point shot was a setup that she should have seen coming a mile away.
Crystal: She makes some really nice shots, time after time, and often holds the team together. But she does not seem to have answers when her teammates fall into a daze. If this is supposed to be her team -- meaning that she is supposed to be the leader -- she's the one who's got to try to pull it together more consistently on the court. That just may be too much to ask of her.
UCF is not a juggernaut. They lost by a decent margin to an okay Cincinnati team recently. They have one really good shooter and a couple of frontcourt players with decent size, but they are not particularly talented. Yet this year's version of Huskies made them look like a real tough opponent. I had thought that the AAC season would allow the team to work on weaknesses to get ready for the tough games. Instead, they are getting exposed by teams like Memphis and UCF, teams whose coaches have figured out ways to clog up the halfcourt game, play energetic defense and make life miserable for whichever player seems to have the hot hand. As a result, rather that improving as the tough games come up, the team seems to be trending downward, with weaknesses re-exposed game after game. This is not a good sign at all.
I'm sorry to be a pessimist about all this, but even though UConn won the game, last night was a real eye-opener, and not in a good way.

Thanks Tomcat. This is one of the best and most comprehensive "eye-witness” post game analysis reports I’ve read this season. Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. You saw and mentioned some of the same things some of us see, and have commented on. It is what it is. If a player or the team is not playing well, or is displaying a deficiency or two, it’s not blasphemy to articulate that observation.

Your observations will help me watch the games differently and maybe see some things I didn’t see (or note) before. This team is a work in progress. Right now, it's obvious there's a lack of chemistry. The team is out of sync. That's evident by all of the standing around they're doing on offense waiting for someone to make a play.

For example, another poster observed that: "Megan will not pass to Anna or Kyla. I saw two of Meg's turnovers were caused when Anna was begging for the ball open in the corner and Megan tried to force the ball to CD. It's been going on all season. She will also take a contested shot before passing to an open Kyla or Anna."

I hadn’t noticed that. I’ll be looking for that trend from now on. I watch the game differently when it’s live, than I do a replay. That’s why you see things you missed the first time.

You are correct in saying you see the game differently in person. I’ve had that experience. Some things just don’t come across on TV. You see the game through the camera lens. There's a lot of things the camera does not show you. When you’re there, you see (and hear if you’re sitting down low) everything. As Nan said, she saw “body language“ we didn’t see.

Your report and Nan’s report is very much appreciated. I had my own thoughts about the team’s play. Your observations confirmed them. I would welcome a report (by anyone that was there) of this nature after every game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a Boneyard lurker (and basketball dummy) who's mainly here to gather news and analysis for my 92-year-old father. He's not online, and I've told him that's probably a good thing: he thinks so highly of the commentary here that he'd read you all day, and forget to check the stock market. Thanks for the excellent reportage in this post. I know my dad would want to know your observations of Geno at the game—body language, anything. He (my father) was struck by how much less negative CD's interactions with the players seemed to be during the games when she stepped in for him. Don't misunderstand: I'm not here to propose that CD's MO is better, or to bash Geno. Just humbly curious about the in-person view of the coach/the coaching last night.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All season I have felt that the problem is that Crystal is not leading the team, particularly out of trouble. Maybe it is too much to ask of her.

Might they all do better if she played the 2 and let one of the other guards play the point? Then she could concentrate on her scoring and relax into a leadership role.
UConn tried that option last night with Anna at the point. Anna’s not Crystal and the offense bogged down even more. I feel sorry for Crystal. She’s out there barking commands and waiving her teammates around and often times they stand there looking like she’s speaking in tongues.

Right now, Crystal is holding this team together on offense. Add in that she’s often tasked with face guarding the other team’s top scorer, like Kay Kay Wright last night, and she has enormous responsibilities for this team. I just hope she holds up all season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Might they all do better if she played the 2 and let one of the other guards play the point?
Then she could concentrate on her scoring and relax into a leadership role.
This has been a running 3 year problem since Saniya graduated. By not having another guard in the rotation good enough to move Crystal off the ball or get her meaningful minutes of rest. The negative results have been compounded. 1) 4th quarter collapses become more likely because she has been exhausted (led the team in MPG last year and this season as well. 2) The surgeries may have taken their toll. 3) Her mid range game which was a major strength when Crystal arrived at UCONN has nearly been abandoned ( she did hit a few last night) in favor of deep 3PT FGA. Shooting from that deep also takes it's toll in the form of quicker exhaustion.
4) Most importantly The UCONN transition game (easy baskets) is almost gone, because...: a) UCONN lacks a quality defender to create live ball turnovers on the perimeter. b) The lack of a reliable 3pt shooter to shoot the trail transition three. c) lack of a dominant rebounder to secure the ball and allow the other UCONN players to leek out in transition. All of the above puts too much pressure on the UCONN 1/2 court offense to be almost perfect in execution. The UCONN offense is far from perfect and far too easy to disrupt as we have seen in the last couple of games.

Reaction Score
Slug was there as well. The key to the game was Dangerfield’s terrific defense on Kay Kay Wright. UCF’s star has a very quick release. Danger stayed with her with her very well and got very little help from teammates . . . and did not foul. If any other of our starters had to guard her, KK would have had a field day and her defender would have fouled out by halftime. I wonder if Paige Bueckers can produce similar defensive effort on a scoring point guard next year.

Anna, bless her heart, is really trying. I’m guessing that her tendency to travel on her first step is a result of that not being called so strictly in Poland.

One of the things I enjoy about seeing away games in person is observing the chemistry among players in relaxed moments and warm-ups. I think they like one another.

Finally, kudos to the UCF arena folks for solving the delays at the entry gates. The last time I was here, the lines stretched around the square and kept me waiting until about 15 before tip. When you pay the inflated UConn-game-only ticket prices, you should be able to enjoy the whole show.

Reaction Score

UCF and Memphis treated their games against UConn like they were in an NCAA tournament game.....................neither team could match the individual skills of the UConn roster but they did have decent athletes who gave it their all on both ends of the court..........if UConn hits it's shots they win by 20-30, points, if not well you see the results..............they will continue to struggle against the top half of the AAC if these squads give maximum effort and UConn just goes through the motions...................

Reaction Score
This has been a running 3 year problem since Saniya graduated. By not having another guard in the rotation good enough to move Crystal off the ball or get her meaningful minutes of rest. The negative results have been compounded. 1) 4th quarter collapses become more likely because she has been exhausted (led the team in MPG last year and this season as well. 2) The surgeries may have taken their toll. 3) Her mid range game which was a major strength when Crystal arrived at UCONN has nearly been abandoned ( she did hit a few last night) in favor of deep 3PT FGA. Shooting from that deep also takes it's toll in the form of quicker exhaustion.
4) Most importantly The UCONN transition game (easy baskets) is almost gone, because...: a) UCONN lacks a quality defender to create live ball turnovers on the perimeter. b) The lack of a reliable 3pt shooter to shoot the trail transition three. c) lack of a dominant rebounder to secure the ball and allow the other UCONN players to leek out in transition. All of the above puts too much pressure on the UCONN 1/2 court offense to be almost perfect in execution. The UCONN offense is far from perfect and far too easy to disrupt as we have seen in the last couple of games.
All true, I really don’t want to say it because I know you can’t control everything, but I feel sorry for Crystal because I feel the staff failed to put her in a position to have a successful senior season. Especially in the post. Having just ONO down there is absurd. Also I’m sure I’m not the only one who knew we needed another point guard for at least two years now. More adequate depth at those positions would do wonders for us this year.we are UConn and being left with Molly and Kyla as serious contributors is something this staff should have never let happen. Injuries is the only reason we should be in this position. Girls transfering out is not an excuse either unless it’s immediately after.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn tried that option last night with Anna at the point. Anna’s not Crystal and the offense bogged down even more. I feel sorry for Crystal. She’s out there barking commands and waiving her teammates around and often times they stand there looking like she’s speaking in tongues.

Right now, Crystal is holding this team together on offense. Add in that she’s often tasked with face guarding the other team’s top scorer, like Kay Kay Wright last night, and she has enormous responsibilities for this team. I just hope she holds up all season.

OD, I couldn't agree with this post more!!! You hit the nail on the head. ;) One poster acknowledged that Aubrey is out of place/position much of the time because she hasn't learned the system yet, thus is all over the place. That's where the TRUST comes in. The other 4 players have to trust you, and know you will be where you're suppose to be when you're suppose to be there. It was also suggested that some of the other starters don't know the system yet because they've begun to stagnate and stand around waiting for another player to do something.

Meghan Culmo pointed that out on her "Culmo vision" last night. We're (Geno) not use to seeing that. That's not throwing shade at our team. It's just calling it like it is. We all saw the game. It was bad last night. When Crystal comes out, it's even worse.

I remember back to when Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis injured her shoulder, and was out for 12 games. Gabby Williams and Brenna Banks were her replacements during the interim. The flow of the unit was disrupted because those two could not/did not mesh into the flow of the unit. The unit performed at an optimum level WITH KML on the floor. Stewie even admitted it during a media interview after KML had returned. She said it just wasn't the same without KML out there. What could Geno do? he had to put 5 players on the floor regardless. :confused: This team is not in sync right now. Geno has to figure something, and quick. He's got some BIG games coming up.

Tip in - Did anyone notice the score of the Stanford - Oregon game last night? Oregon beat a very good Stanford team by 22. We're not nearly as deep as Stanford. They also have 5 "solid" starters. Ionescu lit the Cardinal up with a career high 37 points. I think it's fair to say that Oregon will be a serious challenge for UConn on Feb 3. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great observation and accurate assessment by OP. If Geno and staff can turn this team into a FF team, they would have done the best coaching job in their careers at UConn. A positive note is everybody seemed to be trying really hard, including Geno, CD and SR and all the players. I noticed that CD and SR were animated and involved more than usual, talking to and encouraging the players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tip in - Did anyone notice the score of the Stanford - Oregon game last night? Oregon beat a very good Stanford team by 22 32. We're not nearly as deep as Stanford. They also have 5 "solid" starters. Ionescu lit the Cardinal up with a career high 37 points. I think it's fair to say that Oregon will be a serious challenge for UConn on Feb 3. :rolleyes:
I went to the Oregon-ASU game last week and watched a very beatable Oregon get beat. But last night they were up to their old selves and didn't look beatable at all. Good thing for ESPN that Ionescu went off, as Rebecca and the rest of the ESPN crew were ready with lots of new, "Sabrina is the GOAT" type graphics and clips.

Reaction Score

Who the heck can play the point besides Crystal? Nobody. It's not bad idea if you ha e a back up PG. This team does not have one.

Reaction Score
All true, I really don’t want to say it because I know you can’t control everything, but I feel sorry for Crystal because I feel the staff failed to put her in a position to have a successful senior season. Especially in the post. Having just ONO down there is absurd. Also I’m sure I’m not the only one who knew we needed another point guard for at least two years now. More adequate depth at those positions would do wonders for us this year.we are UConn and being left with Molly and Kyla as serious contributors is something this staff should have never let happen. Injuries is the only reason we should be in this position. Girls transfering out is not an excuse either unless it’s immediately after.

Crystal "failed" to have a "successful senior season"? That may turn out to be true, but at the moment (wait: let me look) the team is 15-1 (6-0 in the AAC). UConn posters have their own language. Anything short of a NC is an "unsuccessful season." In fact, if the team doesn't beat lesser opponents (ie, almost everyone they play) by at least 20 pts., that's an "unsuccessful game." BOO.
Look, by any measure this isn't a very good bunch of Huskies. They have 4 of the nation's top recruits, but it's difficult to tell by watching them play together. I would argue that they haven't even got 5 starters. When Liv goes into a swoon (not a rare occurrence), the team has only 3 decent players. When one or both of Christyn and Meg are off target, there's only Crystal. Against the last two cupcakes, we played 2 on 5 or 3 on 5. Still, we won (somehow). Maybe we ought to look more closely at what constitutes "success."

Reaction Score
Slug was there as well. The key to the game was Dangerfield’s terrific defense on Kay Kay Wright. UCF’s star has a very quick release. Danger stayed with her with her very well and got very little help from teammates . . . and did not foul. If any other of our starters had to guard her, KK would have had a field day and her defender would have fouled out by halftime. I wonder if Paige Bueckers can produce similar defensive effort on a scoring point guard next year.

Anna, bless her heart, is really trying. I’m guessing that her tendency to travel on her first step is a result of that not being called so strictly in Poland.

One of the things I enjoy about seeing away games in person is observing the chemistry among players in relaxed moments and warm-ups. I think they like one another.

Finally, kudos to the UCF arena folks for solving the delays at the entry gates. The last time I was here, the lines stretched around the square and kept me waiting until about 15 before tip. When you pay the inflated UConn-game-only ticket prices, you should be able to enjoy the whole show.
Nice to see you're still kicking... were you able to bring your clubs?

Reaction Score
Nice to see you're still kicking... were you able to bring your clubs?
You bet. Played the Donald Ross course in Dunedin and also the Babe Zaharias links in Tampa. Let me know if we’re forming a team for the BYO!

Reaction Score

Could not disagree more. If you may have noticed when the scorers seem flat she
makes many key plays

Reaction Score
Crystal "failed" to have a "successful senior season"? That may turn out to be true, but at the moment (wait: let me look) the team is 15-1 (6-0 in the AAC). UConn posters have their own language. Anything short of a NC is an "unsuccessful season." In fact, if the team doesn't beat lesser opponents (ie, almost everyone they play) by at least 20 pts., that's an "unsuccessful game." BOO.
Look, by any measure this isn't a very good bunch of Huskies. They have 4 of the nation's top recruits, but it's difficult to tell by watching them play together. I would argue that they haven't even got 5 starters. When Liv goes into a swoon (not a rare occurrence), the team has only 3 decent players. When one or both of Christyn and Meg are off target, there's only Crystal. Against the last two cupcakes, we played 2 on 5 or 3 on 5. Still, we won (somehow). Maybe we ought to look more closely at what constitutes "success."
That's pretty much my definition. Or at least in serious contention for the NC, which do do not appear to be at this time...

Reaction Score
I'm a Boneyard lurker (and basketball dummy) who's mainly here to gather news and analysis for my 92-year-old father. He's not online, and I've told him that's probably a good thing: he thinks so highly of the commentary here that he'd read you all day, and forget to check the stock market. Thanks for the excellent reportage in this post. I know my dad would want to know your observations of Geno at the game—body language, anything. He (my father) was struck by how much less negative CD's interactions with the players seemed to be during the games when she stepped in for him. Don't misunderstand: I'm not here to propose that CD's MO is better, or to bash Geno. Just humbly curious about the in-person view of the coach/the coaching last night.
No need to apologize for the Geno observation.

Reaction Score
You can go to another school and play or risk low minutes at Uconn Geno’s been running a short bench for awhile now. Do you think that’s a reputation he has to deal with now?

Reaction Score
What constitutes success at UConn is winning at least one championship before you graduate like most players that have attended there in the last how many years? I know it’s unfair and unrealistic, but that’s been the norm here. If she doesn’t get one, she should feel cheated because I don’t think a player will leave there without one in awhile again, after this year. Great career, probably four final fours, but it’s their job to get her more help. Just my opinion, the level of players should never be as low as certain players that are there now. They could be there, but not relied so heavily upon.

Reaction Score
You can go to another school and play or risk low minutes at Uconn Geno’s been running a short bench for awhile now. Do you think that’s a reputation he has to deal with now?
Nothing wrong with a short bench, just make sure your star players have a certain level of help.....that’s all. I know things happen, I just feel bad for her because I’m betting she will be the only one to leave in the recent years without one.

Reaction Score
You bet. Played the Donald Ross course in Dunedin and also the Babe Zaharias links in Tampa. Let me know if we’re forming a team for the BYO!
I’m there if we have one, but the interest seems weak. I’m retired now, so if you get up to New England between May and October, give me a shout.

Reaction Score
Great observation and accurate assessment by OP. If Geno and staff can turn this team into a FF team, they would have done the best coaching job in their careers at UConn. A positive note is everybody seemed to be trying really hard, including Geno, CD and SR and all the players. I noticed that CD and SR were animated and involved more than usual, talking to and encouraging the players.
Unfortunately, the winter break is over; the time when the team members could concentrate on nothing but basketball. That break seems to have been totally wasted; the team is much worse right now than it was in early December.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom