First Round Upsets? | The Boneyard

First Round Upsets?

Which region is most likely to feature a 1st round upset?

• Bridgeport (#4 MD, #5 Mich St, #6 Del)

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Norfolk (#4 SC, #5 Colorado, #6 Nebraska)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • OKC (#4 Purdue, #5 Louisville, #6 Okla)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Spokane (#4 Georgia, #5 Iowa St, #6 LSU)

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#5 Mich St v Marist, #6 Del v WVa seem like possible upsets so I'm going with B-port

Gonzaga over #5 Iowa St also possible

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm with you on Gonzaga. I think Deleware will be OK and a Marist win highly unlikely, though nothing is impossible.

I look for a couple of upsets possible on the 7/10 lines and 8/9 is always a toss-up.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I could see Albany making UNC work for it, if not upsetting them. They play some great defense. I bet Katie Abrahamson-Henderson picked it up while playing for CVS at Iowa.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I can see WVU beating Delaware!
I'd be curious why. West Virginia was unspectacular in the one game I saw on TV. More importantly, their best for the season was to split with OK, OK State and Iowa State (actually 1-2 vs. OK, as they met them in the B12 tourney as well). I would say they generally won the games you would expect and lost the ones you would expect, otherwise.

I am generally suspicious of Deleware since they were never tested, but I just am not sure that WVU (this season) can take them.

Reaction Score
Like others I take Gonzaga at home against ISU. Also in the Spokane region, I like USF against TTU, the Bulls gave good BEast teams all they could handle. In Norfolk I think Chattanooga can make things interesting with Nebraska, also maybe DePaul versus OkState. Chalk in Oklahoma City, probably so in Bridgeport with the possible exception of WVU, who unlike Delaware do have players that can run up and down the court.

Reaction Score
I can see Idaho beating Connecticut. (I see things so much clearer since they legalized marijuana.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd be curious why. West Virginia was unspectacular in the one game I saw on TV. More importantly, their best for the season was to split with OK, OK State and Iowa State (actually 1-2 vs. OK, as they met them in the B12 tourney as well). I would say they generally won the games you would expect and lost the ones you would expect, otherwise.

I am generally suspicious of Deleware since they were never tested, but I just am not sure that WVU (this season) can take them.
I think the thought is that Delaware, while going undefeated in their league, had a good number of squeakers against the likes of James Madison (won by 1) and Drexel (won by 3). They brought back 5 starters from a team that was ranked in the top 10 last year. The expectations were higher, i think, for this year.

The fact that they won is great, but they lack of domination, in the opinion of some, makes them vulnerable to a stronger team like WVU. I'm not sure WVU has enough offense to win, but their defense is always really good.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think the thought is that Delaware, while going undefeated in their league, had a good number of squeakers against the likes of James Madison (won by 1) and Drexel (won by 3). They brought back 5 starters from a team that was ranked in the top 10 last year. The expectations were higher, i think, for this year.

The fact that they won is great, but they lack of domination, in the opinion of some, makes them vulnerable to a stronger team like WVU. I'm not sure WVU has enough offense to win, but their defense is always really good.

Perhaps. Although even last year they had trouble with Drexel winning by 1 in one of those meetings, and beating JMU by 7. So they weren't really that dominate last year either.

The thing with league play is, that teams know you very well. They see you multiple times. You've also got to think that Delaware was feeling the pressure to finish undefeated in league play, so that might have affected how they played also.

Them playing at home, plus the fact that they have EDD they have my pick of going to the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I could see Albany making UNC work for it, if not upsetting them. They play some great defense. I bet Katie Abrahamson-Henderson picked it up while playing for CVS at Iowa.

That's my upset special; I'm picking Albany

Reaction Score
I'll climb on the WVa bandwagon. Apart from Maryland, I don't
think Delaware has played anyone as physical as WVa.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Quinni beats Maryland! Why? Simply because I have them winning that game in my bracket....as
I have [uhhh...had] G'Town and New Mexico on the guy-side going to the final four.

Reaction Score
So far no upsets, other than a mild one # 10 Creighton .

Reaction Score
I picked Creighton to beat 'Cuse. Family ties to Creighton, and I don't like Syracuse.

You can usually count on one #10 over #7 "upset". Usually not more than that, though.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Kansas (12) is killing Colorado (5) with 4 min. to go.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USF Upsets Texas Tech on Tech's home court 71 -70 Predicted that upset, not the others :)

Reaction Score
My prediction of USF over TTU is posted above in this thread. On the other hand I had Chattanooga over Nebraska,s for some reason I was under the misimpression that Chattanooga could take on good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom