First Rock Stars of Women's Baskeball... | The Boneyard

First Rock Stars of Women's Baskeball...

Reaction Score
For the young folks (less than 60) on the board who might be interested in the early years of modern women's basketball.

Person behind the Wade Trophy:

1552568920976.png

The two powerhouses of the time were Immaculata College and Delta State University. Both teams have been inducted into the Women's Basketball HOF.

Trailblazers of the Game Recipients by Year - Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame

Lusia "Lucy" Harris "2nd from the Left" in the picture above was the first female ever officially drafted by the NBA.

Lusia Harris - Wikipedia

Had the pleasure of attending several games between them and only current rivalry I can relate it would have be the early years of the UConn and UT. The two programs really didn't care for each other.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Relating this to another post, Delta State's nickname is the Fighting Okra. Top that one!:confused:
I'll fight okra until my last day.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You need to listen to Jerry Clower tell the story about the dogs and boiled okra.
No. And you can't make me.

My story goes like this. My friend told me that one day when he was young he went to another friends house for dinner and boiled okra was served. When the snot from the youngest son went onto the plate and he couldn't tell the difference between the two, well....

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No. And you can't make me.

My story goes like this. My friend told me that one day when he was young he went to another friends house for dinner and boiled okra was served. When the snot from the youngest son went onto the plate and he couldn't tell the difference between the two, well....
Clower explains it all very well, and there are dogs too. Go on. give it a shot. You can brag to your friends that you survived it! And you just might find it hilarious. :D

JordyG

Reaction Score
Clower explains it all very well, and there are dogs too. Go on. give it a shot. You can brag to your friends that you survived it! And you just might find it hilarious. :D
My stomach just isn't iron clad as it was.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Relating this to another post, Delta State's nickname is the Fighting Okra. Top that one!:confused:

Great thread.

There's some great video of Pat Summit, her Olympic teammate, talking about what a force Lucy Harris was on the court. Softspoken and kind off the court, she was a warrior on it. One of the game's all-time greats.

To be completely accurate, DSU has always officially been the Statesmen, but the Okra is the fan favorite...

DBGcbExXoAExvAx.jpg

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'll fight okra until my last day.

If it's a slimy texture thing, try it fried or pickled. Delicious.

It grows like crazy in the Mississippi heat so that's a beautiful thing if you like it. It's also great in gumbos and soups.

I know this is a losing battle, but had to try. I'm a bit of an okra evangelist.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If it's a slimy texture thing, try it fried or pickled. Delicious.

It grows like crazy in the Mississippi heat so that's a beautiful thing if you like it. It's also great in gumbos and soups.

I know this is a losing battle, but had to try. I'm a bit of an okra evangelist.
My wife, an Alabama country girl, loves fried okra. And she uses it in gumbo. But even she will not eat boiled okra! I love the story about Bromley the dog and boiled okra. :)

Reaction Score
Great thread.

There's some great video of Pat Summit, her Olympic teammate, talking about what a force Lucy Harris was on the court. Softspoken and kind off the court, she was a warrior on it. One of the game's all-time greats.

I had to turn the audio all the way up on my computer to hear it.

Here are the stats from the 76 Olympics. Notice who lead the team in Shooting Percentage, Rebounds and Average Points per game. Only thing Lusia didn't lead in was assist.

Games of the XXIst Olympiad -- 1976

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Immaculata won the first 3 tourneys. Delta State won the next 3. MSCW (now MUW) was in the first tourney. Mississippi College was runner-up to Immaculata the year before Delta State started their run.

I was in high school in MS before we moved out to Palo Alto where I graduated. Only the smaller schools played girls basketball during my time in MS. It was 3 on 3 when I was young but had gone to 2 rovers by the time I was in high school. I think all of the MSCW, MC, and DSU players went to B or BB schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom