First real top 25 for the season. | The Boneyard

First real top 25 for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Kenny Kalina tells us how he sees things: LINK His rating has a blurb on each team so it's worth a read.

1. South Carolina
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Baylor
5. UConn
6. Notre Dame
7. Texas
8. Maryland
9. UCLA
10. Mississippi St.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Just was on Cockytalk posting about this. To save myself some time I will just copy and paste what I said over there here. His full list is not very good at all when looking at it as a whole specifically 11-25 but the Top 10 is okay. I'm fine with him having South Carolina as a #1 as they will likely get some of the 1st place votes though I doubt it will be unanimous on both polls at the start of the season.

I'm not sure how you could put both Ohio State and Louisville ahead of Notre Dame. Also, Seton Hall... NO, North Carolina... NO, and where is Stanford? Even without Lili Thompson they will be in the Top 25, so will Tennessee. I can't see Mississippi St. cracking the Top 10 either, just don't think they have enough deciding factors for that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just was on Cockytalk posting about this. To save myself some time I will just copy and paste what I said over there here. His full list is not very good at all when looking at it as a whole specifically 11-25 but the Top 10 is okay. I'm fine with him having South Carolina as a #1 as they will likely get some of the 1st place votes though I doubt it will be unanimous on both polls at the start of the season.

I'm not sure how you could put both Ohio State and Louisville ahead of Notre Dame. Also, Seton Hall... NO, North Carolina... NO, and where is Stanford? Even without Lili Thompson they will be in the Top 25, so will Tennessee. I can't see Mississippi St. cracking the Top 10 either, just don't think they have enough deciding factors for that.
Agree. How about total disregard of Syracuse who played in the Championship game returns all but Butler and one of the more promising PG in the country. 7 ACC schools in this top 25 and Syracuse is not one of them?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Agree. How about total disregard of Syracuse who played in the Championship game returns all but Butler and one of the more promising PG in the country.
Yeah, it was bit strange. Seems like it was written more for SEO value than reality once you got past the Top 10.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"No one had a better second half of the season last year than Louisville after brushing off some early injuries and youth the Cardinals rolled through ACC play." I guess I must have hallucinated ND beating them in Louisville, Louisville losing in the 2nd round of the ACC tournament, and Louisville losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

Honestly, this list is a joke. For being a Florida guy, it looks like he's never watched the ACC. No Syracuse but Duke, Miami, and UNC on the list is totally nuts.

I could go on but it's not worth it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"

Honestly, this list is a joke. For being a Florida guy, it looks like he's never watched the ACC. No Syracuse but Duke, Miami, and UNC on the list is totally nuts. I could go on but it's not worth it.
Wake Forest??? That Wake Forest???. The team that finished 6-10 in the conference last year??? He must be a Wake Forest Grad!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wake Forest??? That Wake Forest???. The team that finished 6-10 in the conference last year??? He must be a Wake Forest Grad!

I just noticed Wake Forest and was about to rant again! But hey they were "Two ACC wins away from a 19 win season" so they have that going for them. And they return all their top scorers from that team that had a losing record in the worst power 5 conference last year.

Apparently, Tyra Whitehead (unranked by Hoopgurlz, #109 by ProspectsNation) is one of the best freshmen in the country. She had better be for them to make the top 25.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
"No one had a better second half of the season last year than Louisville after brushing off some early injuries and youth the Cardinals rolled through ACC play." I guess I must have hallucinated ND beating them in Louisville, Louisville losing in the 2nd round of the ACC tournament, and Louisville losing in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.

Honestly, this list is a joke. For being a Florida guy, it looks like he's never watched the ACC. No Syracuse but Duke, Miami, and UNC on the list is totally nuts.

I could go on but it's not worth it.
You really could go on and on that's why outside of the Top 10 I just stopped reading it was a hot mess. I love what is happening @ Missouri but 13... really? The problem is the first 2 months of the season anything is possible and a lot of the games aren't even watched by the pollsters... I don't even think they start watching games til mid season. I'm pretty sure they just vote blindly and follow the leader initially.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn – Losing one of the greatest groups of all time including possibly one of the best college basketball players ever in Breanna Stewart is a set back for any program. For UConn who will the next star be? In 2016 they had a good recruiting class but not star studded with Top 20 talent. Look for a lot to be expected out of Kia Nurse, Napheesa Collier, and Katie Lou Samuelson and their growth from last year to this year will determine which direction this season goes for the Huskies. Dancing at the Final Four for this group will be one of Geno’s greater accomplishments as a coach.

d985a8a1d0bbb12786ca825e4f4e25d4.jpg

Oh it's on now.​

Reaction Score
I am not sure TENN will be able to put a team on the floor. They lost three seniors and added a recruiting class of zero. They have had some injuries during the off season and just lost point guard Tea Cooper for the season to a knee injury. Not sure why they should be in the top 25 but I am not real familiar with all the other teams so maybe they are deserving.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I am not sure TENN will be able to put a team on the floor. They lost three seniors and added a recruiting class of zero. They have had some injuries during the off season and just lost point guard Tea Cooper for the season to a knee injury. Not sure why they should be in the top 25 but I am not real familiar with all the other teams so maybe they are deserving.
They had a late addition in the spring (Harris), so they DID have a recruit, and they added a Grad transfer in Nunn (she might start) but their JC transfer (Green) is injured and cannot play this season. They go 9 deep, which is deep enough if the players are well-conditioned. There is even a body of thought that having fewer bodies might slow down Holly's frantic substitution patterns, which could improve on-court chemistry. I see them as a top 25 team, but things could go poorly and blow up as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The TN 2016 recruiting class was not zero. Late in the period TN added a 3 Star Post , Top JUCO post (Green) who is injured and a graduate transfer. Even with those addition Depth at PG and Post will be major issues for TN this year and if recruiting for 2017 does not pick up substantially the program will be at a major tipping point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They had a late addition in the spring (Harris), so they DID have a recruit, and they added a Grad transfer in Nunn (she might start) but their JC transfer (Green) is injured and cannot play this season. They go 9 deep, which is deep enough if the players are well-conditioned. There is even a body of thought that having fewer bodies might slow down Holly's frantic substitution patterns, which could improve on-court chemistry. I see them as a top 25 team, but things could go poorly and blow up as well.
I not only hate that you obviously type faster than me but that you actually remembered the names of the TN recruits. :cool:

Reaction Score
They go 9 deep, which is deep enough if the players are well-conditioned.

Maybe well conditioned, but not well talented.
Their likely bench of Middleton-Dunbar-Meme Jackson-Frosh leaves a lot to be desired.

But I agree that fewer players could be good for Holly.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think you guys did a pretty good job picking this apart. It's crazy that Kenny was so impressed by Louisville's second half of the season despite ND's victory at the Yum Center and the Irish also winning the ACC tourney after that. Great point, Orangutan, and poor logic by Kenny. Omitting 'Cuse but including 7 other ACC teams including basement dweller Wake Forest is ridiculous. Did he just forget about the Orange, or was it intentional? (Good job, Coco and Orangutan). No Washington or Stanford? Kelsey Plum alone makes them a top 25 team. Lili was mercurial but really hurt the team when she was off. I think Stanford weathers her absence well. Tennessee will begin the season in the top 25. I have no idea how long they will remain there, but they did make the E8 last season, despite their generally disappointing play. I would include them in a top 25. And what is North Carolina doing on the list? Destinee Walker is from Florida, so maybe he is biased.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think you guys did a pretty good job picking this apart. It's crazy that Kenny was so impressed by Louisville's second half of the season despite ND's victory at the Yum Center and the Irish also winning the ACC tourney after that. Great point, Orangutan, and poor logic by Kenny. Omitting 'Cuse but including 7 other ACC teams including basement dweller Wake Forest is ridiculous. Did he just forget about the Orange, or was it intentional? (Good job, Coco and Orangutan). No Washington or Stanford? Kelsey Plum alone makes them a top 25 team. Lili was mercurial but really hurt the team when she was off. I think Stanford weathers her absence well. Tennessee will begin the season in the top 25. I have no idea how long they will remain there, but they did make the E8 last season, despite their generally disappointing play. I would include them in a top 25. And what is North Carolina doing on the list? Destinee Walker is from Florida, so maybe he is biased.
Oops, he has Washington at 11th. My bad.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If you know Kenny Kallina then you know that he has a heavy bias toward's anything Florida. He also REALLY likes Ohio State and Louisville. His AAU team camps at both every year (which is why both schools consistently show up on the top 5 lists of just about every elite Florida player). This ranking is further proof of that.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
1a. South Carolina
1b. Baylor
1c. Notre Dame

4. Ohio State
5. Louisville
6. UCONN
7. Maryland
8. Texas
9. UCLA
10. Mississippi State

That's about where I am right now. I may feel differently in another hour. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
No Syracuse, Tennessee, South Florida, Stanford ???
ND should be #1.

UConn should be #1 until and if they are beaten.

I really doubt this list.

Yeah I think this was put out to be the first to say.....oh look UConn is not ranked #1

Good call though on Tenn not being ranked.....lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1a. South Carolina
1b. Baylor
1c. Notre Dame

4. Ohio State
5. Louisville
6. UCONN
7. Maryland
8. Texas
9. UCLA
10. Mississippi State

That's about where I am right now. I may feel differently in another hour. Stay tuned.
OK is been about an hour now I think you should come around to looking at it this way.
1a. UCONN
1b. South Carolina
1c. Notre Dame

4a. Maryland
4b. Baylor
4c. tOSU

7. Louisville
8. Texas
9-25 Order doesn't matter not likely to figure in NC picture.

Reaction Score
UConn should be #1 until and if they are beaten.

Yeah I think this was put out to be the first to say.....oh look UConn is not ranked #1

Good call though on Tenn not being ranked.....lol.
Actually I don't know who Kenny Kallina is... LOL
I will wait until November then say big "UConn is #1" .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom