First Night | Page 7 | The Boneyard

First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO recently it feels like being proud of your work/job has taken a back seat to get it done and let the chips fall where they may!
I'm old fashioned I believe that whatever a person does should be done to the best of their ability!
I appreciate them showing First Night but prepare for everything!
As I stated earlier in this thread I liked it better when the women's and men's teams had separate First Nights!
Yup

Reaction Score
OMG, I have to TOTALLY agree with @HuskyNan here about the sheer entitlement so many of you are displaying about the effort of the production. Let's have a little fact check for you: this is an entirely student production with some oversight. Wake up call to all of you that this is a UNIVERSITY who is teaching and giving real world experience to the students. @Blond D. , @Audi1954 @The deacon @cohenzone and @mbr33ct maybe each of you needs to reread your posts and realize how "entitled" they all sound as I can only hope you truly do not mean that criticism. And also as Nan says, feel free to donate to the Athletic Department to pay something forward for all the joy and entertainment that is gained with these teams.

My daughter graduated this past May and went last night to see all these fellow students who helped produce this effort, so yeah, I am a bit irritated that all of you want a "Superbowl Production" quality from 19, 20 and 21 year olds. The show was free, you got to see a scrimmage and build upon the excitement for the up coming year and yet you want to complain?
Season 9 No GIF by The Office
There was a scrimmage???

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The " chemistry" and " energy" of First Night should be more than enough to " (chemistry) bond"
Allie, Morgan, Ari, Sarah, Kelis (2025), and Lauren Hassell ( 2027) to the UCONN Husky FAMILY!!
GO Team... GO Huskies!
I had to read through 6 pages of 'entitlement' (;)) to get the most important fact. Thanks @Zarathustra

Reaction Score
In high school we had a couple of girls taping the other schools scrimmages so we could scout them. THAT production was far superior to the First Night production.

PvP

Reaction Score
Perhaps Allie, Morgan,& Kelis will be there too? Heck, let’s go for broke and hope for Addison Bjorn, Brynn McGaughy, McKenna Woliczko, and Special K As well! There’s also room for Sienna Betts!:) Hope springs eternal!
Does anyone know who actually is there this weekend, because many who have attended previous First Nights have committed to Storrs afterward.

Reaction Score
OMG, I have to TOTALLY agree with @HuskyNan here about the sheer entitlement so many of you are displaying about the effort of the production. Let's have a little fact check for you: this is an entirely student production with some oversight. Wake up call to all of you that this is a UNIVERSITY who is teaching and giving real world experience to the students. @Blond D. , @Audi1954 @The deacon @cohenzone and @mbr33ct maybe each of you needs to reread your posts and realize how "entitled" they all sound as I can only hope you truly do not mean that criticism. And also as Nan says, feel free to donate to the Athletic Department to pay something forward for all the joy and entertainment that is gained with these teams.

My daughter graduated this past May and went last night to see all these fellow students who helped produce this effort, so yeah, I am a bit irritated that all of you want a "Superbowl Production" quality from 19, 20 and 21 year olds. The show was free, you got to see a scrimmage and build upon the excitement for the up coming year and yet you want to complain?

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Dear Mr. or Ms. DefenseBB. My statement was - It was so very frustrating. The positioning of the cameras was off all night - I was not looking for a Super Bowl production. I felt, as many did, that I would have liked to see the camera positioned during the interviews so we could see the men and women basketball players during their contests. I am sure the students would have loved for their devoted fans to be able to see them compete, rather than watch Joe during their contests. Joe as a professional should have said let’s turn the cameras around. No knocking the kids and their production, but he should have known better. And lastly, I found your comment offensive. I do not feel entitled in any way, and I already am, and have been for a very long time, an alumni financial supporter of the University.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I just watched it, overall I thought it was pretty good and better done than most of the broadcast we've seen. Yeah it definitely had its faults. Joe Zone strikes me as being completely out of touch. Yeah they should've kept the camera on the action, but those are little tweaks that hopefully they'll figure out for next year.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sorry if already asked/answered, but did Caroline play in any reindeer games?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry if already asked/answered, but did Caroline play in any reindeer games?
Caroline looked fit and she competed in the 3pt shooting contest. To the extent that the tv coverage actually showed the competition, Caroline knocked down a bunch of shots from the arc.

For the past two seasons, I have been hoping to see a healthy Paige, Azzi and Caroline together on the court, carving up opposing defenses. Maybe this season I’ll get my wish.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Caroline looked fit and she competed in the 3pt shooting contest. To the extent that the tv coverage actually showed the competition, Caroline knocked down a bunch of shots from the arc.

For the past two seasons, I have been hoping to see a healthy Paige, Azzi and Caroline together on the court, carving up opposing defenses. Maybe this season I’ll get my wish.
Thanks. I watched a replay of the broadcast with one eye but didn't get much out of it.

Reaction Score

I think Caroline was 8 for 12 in the first round.

Reaction Score
Dear Mr. or Ms. DefenseBB. My statement was - It was so very frustrating. The positioning of the cameras was off all night - I was not looking for a Super Bowl production. I felt, as many did, that I would have liked to see the camera positioned during the interviews so we could see the men and women basketball players during their contests. I am sure the students would have loved for their devoted fans to be able to see them compete, rather than watch Joe during their contests. Joe as a professional should have said let’s turn the cameras around. No knocking the kids and their production, but he should have known better. And lastly, I found your comment offensive. I do not feel entitled in any way, and I already am, and have been for a very long time, an alumni financial supporter of the University.
First night is for the UConn athletes and UConn students. It’s for the on campus community.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
First night is for the UConn athletes and UConn students. It’s for the on campus community.
i got a feeling the athletes and students of the campus who couldn't attend would rather see performances of their peers than endure many minutes of Joe Zone stumbling to look informed (and showing he isn't) and gabbing with the two HCs sitting at a table who clearly would have preferred watching their teams -- and the fantastic crowd -- enjoying themselves. ... i would've too!

and those in attendance might have recorded the production, so they could hunt for possible glimpses of themselves or to keep the recording as a remembrance of a good time.

... but they might have been somewhat deflated when they saw the playback .... unless they were huge fans of Joe Zone.

and wsfb wasted an hour of airtime that could have been better used. i'd say the channel didn't endear itself to its viewers. and i don't think wsfb was concerned about fans' 'entitlement.'

and if students actually were involved in the production, seeking a learning experience, they can benefit from the repeated critiques here.

Reaction Score
For years they have shown the 3pt shooting contest and half the time showed the players instead of the shots. I think there has been an attempt put the players' faces on camera instead of the contests. It's the same thinking that gives us low angle replays from behind the basket that make it look like the distance to the foul line is 6 feet.

Maybe it's just time to accept the ineptitude of 1st night. Just one of those things that makes UConn unique, like Stanford's "marching" band. A few years ago 3/4's of the show was spent with the players standing around waiting for someone to tell them to do something. Then there was the year without a hoop. That wins the prize for the worst bozo move in history. This year we got FSB interviews happening simultaneously with the player contests.

They should rename it "Bizzarro First Night" I can't wait to see what happens next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom