First it was three, then four and now five | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First it was three, then four and now five

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
1-- I love to watch Lou shoot the ball -- whether she is "in rhythm or not." I encourage her to keep shooting. What a beautiful shot.
2-- I love Kia Nurse's passing. Averaging nearly 4 assists per game with a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Also love how she is tough. I like "tough" "a lot."
3-- I love watching Gabby play. Tough. Quick. Explosive. OFC the athleticism- but her passing inside - her assist to turnover ratio is ow over 1.8 -- and hwo she steals passes or off the dribble is just unbelievably amazing in these aspects.
4-- I love Napheesa's versatility and resourcefulness. She can defend anyone, rebound vs anyone and score anywhere.
5-- I love Saniya's skill and heart. At times I get the feeling of a tone that she has been under-utilized. IMO so off-base. She is doing what upperclassmen do along with she is healthy. She stuck through 4 years where many would "quit." She is playing like an upperclassman should/would.
6-- I love Nat's ability to face up and stick jumpers. Her ability to rebound and her ability to pass looks real good.

Can anyone contact SNY or PCTV etc and have them put the practices on tv? I'll pay!!! :):):)

NICE Post !!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And for every time a player has blown by Saniya this year, there have been two or three times when she stopped someone who certainly would have gotten by her last year. The block yesterday and that one steal when she somehow kept the ball in bounds were really entertaining.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think many of those out of rhythm shots of Lou's come from poor team offense more than chucking it up on her part. Also sometimes I think she's allowed to shoot and miss.
Often it is the quality of the pass she receives that slightly alters the rhythm - it is a shot she should be taking, but the pass is low or off center and that puts just a small kink in the process. Happens with everyone and it is one area that Uconn is generally really good at, but this year more than they recent past their are a few more 'errant' passes each game that mess with the rhythm of the shooter.

Reaction Score
Best player on the team! Have we begun that too? She plays her role as all the others. As a previous post noted- when Gabby sits, the flow is different. How many games would we have survived without Gabby, Napheesa, etc. They are all individually critical and good. Is Lou really better then Pheesa if the latter suddenly shows that she too can shoot and make 3s? Do we really need her to be so far from the basket? You can't have all five roaming around shooting- it too have consequences.
\

I suspect Katie Lou -as well as Nepheesa, Gabby, Kia , Saniya--are NOT doing anything GENO has not DICTATED they must do. If katie Lou is "roaming"--that is exactly what Geno expect. What a fool hardy kid any of them would be
to: Not do exactly what Geno demands?????

Being Happy doesn’t mean every thing is perfect.
it means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections

Reaction Score
1-- I love to watch Lou shoot the ball -- whether she is "in rhythm or not." I encourage her to keep shooting. What a beautiful shot.
2-- I love Kia Nurse's passing. Averaging nearly 4 assists per game with a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Also love how she is tough. I like "tough" "a lot."
3-- I love watching Gabby play. Tough. Quick. Explosive. OFC the athleticism- but her passing inside - her assist to turnover ratio is ow over 1.8 -- and hwo she steals passes or off the dribble is just unbelievably amazing in these aspects.
4-- I love Napheesa's versatility and resourcefulness. She can defend anyone, rebound vs anyone and score anywhere.
5-- I love Saniya's skill and heart. At times I get the feeling of a tone that she has been under-utilized. IMO so off-base. She is doing what upperclassmen do along with she is healthy. She stuck through 4 years where many would "quit." She is playing like an upperclassman should/would.
6-- I love Nat's ability to face up and stick jumpers. Her ability to rebound and her ability to pass looks real good.

Can anyone contact SNY or PCTV etc and have them put the practices on tv? I'll pay!!! :):):)
\

To put practices on TV--you'd have to pay Geno!! I'm sure SNY would spend hours doing just that --if allowed.
I too love and respect the talent of EVERY member of this years team-they are exceptional.
Napheesa --at times she shoot's 100 percent---she often shoot 8 of 9 or 7 of 8--these are not all layups--I love her accurate fade away, her use of the back board (Gabby and Dangerfield do that too)---Geno teach the use of the BB---a lost art with many kids they think they can accurately always hit the center of the basket.
g

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Best player?? I don't know! But she is for sure the only player on the team that can (and did) take over games--and alone can move a stagnant score from 50 tie to a 20 point advantage--simply by willing her self to do it--and puking between shots.
That was one of the most amazing and encouraging performance i have ever witnessed in watching and playing basketball.
Nan said she was channeling DT. (or words to that effect). High praise indeed~!!

Gabby was the one who took over the ND game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Often it is the quality of the pass she receives that slightly alters the rhythm - it is a shot she should be taking, but the pass is low or off center and that puts just a small kink in the process. Happens with everyone and it is one area that Uconn is generally really good at, but this year more than they recent past their are a few more 'errant' passes each game that mess with the rhythm of the shooter.

Ball delivery to the shooter is an art and really important. No one today is better at it than Lebron. He has talked about his effort to deliver the ball not just to the position each different player receives it but, also, how the seams are when they arrive in the players hands. Yes, he was serious.

Reaction Score
What I liked about Chong's game was, though she missed her first two 3's, she contributed with assists and defense: and, later, took open 3's and made them.

Danger being out will definitely help her, and Molly.
Sounds like maturity. If she were to mope and get down on herself and not do what Geno expects, she's not playing. As a senior, does anyone expect anything different from her???

Reaction Score
Don't quite agree. Gabby was great but KLS was a monster and when you take into account her illness, it was beyond great. Don't you think that her teammates knew what she was dealing with and if one of your teammates is playing inspired ball while physically ill, don't you think that's a bit of additional motivation?????

Reaction Score
I'm not privy to a lot of games, being in Florida, but I've read some comments that suggested that Kia periodically mistimes getting passes to shooters (KLS in particular) at the most opportune time. That might explain why KLS occasionally has issues with the rhythm of her shot. When someone shoots the ball like KLS, you never want them to be inhibited in putting up a shot. You want her to always have a shooter's mentality.

Reaction Score
And for every time a player has blown by Saniya this year, there have been two or three times when she stopped someone who certainly would have gotten by her last year. The block yesterday and that one steal when she somehow kept the ball in bounds were really entertaining.
Saniya will never be a great defender but she is surely much improved in that area over her time in Storrs. She's no longer a big liability like she was as a freshman. Her overall game has improved a great amount and she seems so much more comfortable and confident when she's out there. Great for her and great for the team.

Reaction Score
Don't quite agree. Gabby was great but KLS was a monster and when you take into account her illness, it was beyond great. Don't you think that her teammates knew what she was dealing with and if one of your teammates is playing inspired ball while physically ill, don't you think that's a bit of additional motivation?????
GW had 19pts, 12reb, 6asst, 5stls and 2blks...She set the tone with her defense, rebounding, scoring and as facilitator in the ND game. Lou scored 18, with 3reb and 2asst. A significant contribution but GW led the team in assists, rebounds, steals and blocks.
KLS, is the man, but GW is the straw...u know the rest.

Reaction Score
You can't separate Katie Lou, Gabby and Napheesa. Without one they have no chance of winning the National Championship because they do so many things. They are intertwined. You can't have one without the others.
True, but every game has 1 or 2 players that stand above the rest.

Reaction Score
I didn't know Katie Lou vomited during the ND game too!! Is she great or what--such dedication. Thanks for the information.
Yes Gabby played too in the ND game.
As my original post said: I'm not certain Katie Lou was/is the best player on this team. The reason is : on any day/night any one of the starting five (and one bench sitter) has stepped up and lead the scoring and or the defense.
Every time I think one of those six is amazing--another one does amazing things on the court. That's why my Avatar went from Molly to the TEAM and staff.

Reaction Score
This group in rounding into one of the very best "TEAMS" ever. Perhaps the most unselfish group of players to have played the game at such a high level. Gabby Williams is simply all-world, Napheesa Collier seemly is always in the right spot for easy put backs time and time again, and Katie Lou Samuelson is capable of taking over any game at any time. Kia Nurse has come on strong in all aspects of the game (although she still doesn't pass the ball to Lou when she's in a position to score). Saniya Chong has made a believer out of me. She has a complete game and is beginning to show it consistently.

I began watching UC womens BB , in earnest (a very small gym in there) when Sue, Swin, Ajsia(sp), Tamika, Walter (injured) came to town. Add Dt and they were amazing in scoring--but the real pleasure for me was to watch Globe Trotter accurate and effective passing from all over the floor. The baseball pass--largely unused by many men and women's teams then, was on target. A (usually not always) trade mark of Geno's teams has been great passing and Defense.
You are right---only a careful game watcher will see all that Saniya and Kia do to help the other 3 score and win--not that either Chong or Nurse don't score or can't.

Reaction Score
I'm not privy to a lot of games, being in Florida, but I've read some comments that suggested that Kia periodically mistimes getting passes to shooters (KLS in particular) at the most opportune time. That might explain why KLS occasionally has issues with the rhythm of her shot. When someone shoots the ball like KLS, you never want them to be inhibited in putting up a shot. You want her to always have a shooter's mentality.

I'm not defending Kia, she needs no defense BUT she sometimes sees plays developing others don't see. After playing with Tuck, Moriah, Stew whom she could throw the ball into the rafters and they'd get it--she has to re-learn who she is passing to and where to throw that pass . Good guards learn where their scoring teammates 'need' the ball to be to score.
I have seen enough of Uconn games to see shooters who were cold and couldn't hit their foot with the ball--then next game hit 70 percent from down town. Katie Lou is a paradox--she'll hit 4 3's in a row --then clunk 6 and in the second half another 3 or 4 in a row---but score she does. Geno is an exception in the coaching world--his shooter are required to shoot ---hit or miss--keep shooting. DT missed 14 shots--with another coach she would have been pulled after 4 misses in a row. She never missed 3 in a row--again.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I noticed that when ever GW was on the bench, the team looked flat and out of rhythm.

I think when Pheese is out you can say the same. The thing about Lou is that she seems to be the one Geno wants in the game all the time until it's over or end of bench play time. Even when she is sick and throwing up he knows she can take over when the team's offense starts to struggle. Pheese is a great option #2. Gabby is a good compliment since she gets points during the flow of the game without demanding the ball. Kia further's the right mix because she is great getting out ahead of most on fast breaks and hit big outside shots when needed. If Soniya can play as she has and is capable of, it will force defenses to not cheat and that puts everyone else in a better position.

What is crazy is if younwatched Soniya in high school she would hit from anywhere anytime. Also, during her freshman year Geno said on camera, "she is going to be a good one defensively." I do not understand why things have not clicked for her, but if it does then it's #5 in a row for sure.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Also, during her freshman year Geno said on camera, "she is going to be a good one defensively."

I was thinking about this the other day. I remember that scene. It looks like she has the techniques down, just has lapses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom