First game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First game

Reaction Score
Not Sure but Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia played. Probably 64/65 but I don't remember the opponent.

Reaction Score
Older than you?

There is a current and active poster on this Board, and a very interesting one at that(I won't mention his name) who stated that he remembers listening to radio programs during his youth and when I looked up the years of the programs he mentioned , they were from the 1920's.

So, that would make him over 100 unless he meant to say he listened to reruns of those a few years later.

If you grew up in central CT old is remembering Bob Steele announce the school snow closings in WTIC.

Don't remember much about first game but I do remember that Bialosuknia seemed to hit everything he threw up that night.

Reaction Score
My first UConn game was December 2013 vs East Washington. What was your first UConn mens game?
At the Fieldhouse sometime in the winter of 1974 (my freshman year). Was fascinated by Tony Hanson's game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
[insert obligatory “the Field House was awesome“ post here]

Reaction Score
1963/64 season. Beat New Hampshire. I remember Bill DellaSala heaving one in from 3 quarter court at the end of the half but it didn’t count. Just after the buzzer.
got there early to see the impressive freshman team beat Brown. Bialosuknia wasn’t the best player. It was Holowaty!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fairfield at the Field House, we win by a point. I was hooked.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
March 20th, 1989, vs the Cal Bears at the Hartford Civic Center, NIT 2nd round.

The Huskies staged an amazing comback down 10 with less than 5 minutes to play to win 73-72.

Thus began the most improbable yet magical 30 year fan experience one could ever hope for.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It was as a kid in the early 90s. I don't remember the first specific opponent I saw.

Reaction Score
January of '81 at the Civic Center. Corny Thompson hit a foul line jumper at the end to beat a good St. Johns team on an ECAC game of the week . I was a senior at Trinity, and had just gotten into UConn law that week. (Did not go to UConn law, but went to Yale Law where I had the two game a year at New Haven Coliseum "season" tickets.

arch

Reaction Score
1960, don’t remember any of it. Carlson was good point guard, Dale Comey was super long range shooting 6th man. Not sure there was a real center.
Point shaving scandal was that year?

Reaction Score
Went to my first game in 2004 with my dad. I don't remember who they played but I know they won and that I was enamored by Josh Boone. I don't think it was a Big East game.

First game while a student was the 2012 home opener against UVM.

Reaction Score
Versus Seton Hall in 83 in the old Fieldhouse. PJ was the head coach of the Pirates.

Last edited:

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
‘89 - I was a young buck and went with my friend and his dad. I don’t remember who they were playing (I think it might’ve been St. John’s), but I do remember the electricity of the Hartford Civic Center being unlike anything I had ever experienced before and have been a big fan ever since.

Reaction Score
Great game - Lyman DePriest defense

Ricky Moore was a better defender than Lyman DePriest. Some Centers -- Okafor and Thabeet -- were better defenders than Lyman DePriest. Scott Burrell was probably a better defender than Lyman DePriest. I have never seen a game changed more on one defensive foul than Lyman DePriest changed that game against BC at MSG. He ran through one perfectly good screen, obliterating the screener, got called for a foul, and Dana Barros couldn't get anyone to screen for him the rest of the night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
63/64. One of my high school teammates was real good so got to go see a game at field house as a hanger on during his recruiting. UConn had tall guys, Toby Kimball wasn't the tallest, there was another kid (think name Slomsenski?) who was taller.
What I remember is sitting on end under the basket and there was a rope netting so if players over ran out of bounds they wouldn't get hurt.
My buddy ended up going to BCU, guess you couldn't turn down Bob Cousy could you?

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore was a better defender than Lyman DePriest. Some Centers -- Okafor and Thabeet -- were better defenders than Lyman DePriest. Scott Burrell was probably a better defender than Lyman DePriest. I have never seen a game changed more on one defensive foul than Lyman DePriest changed that game against BC at MSG. He ran through one perfectly good screen, obliterating the screener, got called for a foul, and Dana Barros couldn't get anyone to screen for him the rest of the night.
Lyman DePriest is the toughest player ever that wore the national flag blue. Jake is second.

Reaction Score
If you grew up in central CT old is remembering Bob Steele announce the school snow closings in WTIC.

Don't remember much about first game but I do remember that Bialosuknia seemed to hit everything he threw up that night.
I first listened to Bob Steele in the mid 1960's while at UConn, but I just read that he started out on the radio in 1943 and worked until 1991, the year he died. My roommate from New Britain and his parents raved about him.

Sort of a throwback type maybe like a Will Rogers type. New Haven had Ron Rohmer at WELI as the nearest thing to him.

Reaction Score
January 1984 Hartford Civic Center vs Pat Ewing and Georgetown (national champs that year). I was a sophomore in high school and was only at the game because my high school - New Canaan which was ranked 3rd in the state was playing #1 ranked Harding before the UConn / Georgetown game. We stayed for the UConn game but I was really there for the high school game so besides Ewing, I don’t remember much from the UConn game. But I do remember the high school game and being in awe of Harding’s Charles Smith (future BE POY for Pitt and NBA lottery pick). He was unstoppable and Harding big time kicked our butz!!

Reaction Score
Early- or mid-90s at the Civic Center against Kansas. Pretty sure KU won, but it was cool nonetheless. Place was electric.

Reaction Score
November 2000 at the Civic center against Brown. I was in 7th grade and it was a school night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom