First Big East preview | The Boneyard

First Big East preview

Reaction Score

Conference finish: 1st

The Huskies went undefeated in their first season back in the Big East, and it didn’t look like much had changed as head coach and Hall of Famer Geno Auriemma continued to lead UConn to unbelievable success.

You shouldn’t expect this season to be much different. UConn is returning its top-five scorers, including Big East Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year Paige Bueckers. She alone is phenomenal and make the Huskies one of the favorites for the Big East women’s basketball throne, but when you add in Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa as well, the talent becomes overwhelming.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Conference finish: 1st

The Huskies went undefeated in their first season back in the Big East, and it didn’t look like much had changed as head coach and Hall of Famer Geno Auriemma continued to lead UConn to unbelievable success.

You shouldn’t expect this season to be much different. UConn is returning its top-five scorers, including Big East Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year Paige Bueckers. She alone is phenomenal and make the Huskies one of the favorites for the Big East women’s basketball throne, but when you add in Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa as well, the talent becomes overwhelming.

'Alot of creative writing as they undersell UConn while propping up some of the others.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nice to see someone going out on the limb and projecting UCONN as “one of the favorites” to win the BE. It’s guts like this that separate the wolves from the sheep.
He really seemed to do his homework with that in depth discussion of the incoming freshmen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All true comments about "teams who will try to challenge UCONN", but I have no issue with that.

She alone (Paige) is penomenal and make [sic] the Huskies one of the favorites for the Big East women’s basketball throne, but when you add in Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa as well, the talent becomes overwhelming.

I highlighted the "overwhelming" comment because that's what this team will be. There was NO mention of the newbies - anyone who forgets about Fudd or Ducharme will do so at their own peril. I would have added in the write up "UCONN brings in a tremendous quartet of new freshmen not to mention outstanding transfer Juhusz. UCONN will have unmatched depth and will come at opponents in waves - get a starter in foul trouble, and a player equally as good (if not better) will come in off the bench."

Or something like that. I do appreciate not sugar coating the "bottom dwellers" in the conference. If I were Depaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, etc. I'd be less concerned about UCONN and more concerned how they (and the rest of the conference) does OOC. That will go a long way in determining the strength of the BE below UCONN to see who makes the big dance.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All true comments about "teams who will try to challenge UCONN", but I have no issue with that.

She alone (Paige) is penomenal and make [sic] the Huskies one of the favorites for the Big East women’s basketball throne, but when you add in Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa as well, the talent becomes overwhelming.

I highlighted the "overwhelming" comment because that's what this team will be. There was NO mention of the newbies - anyone who forgets about Fudd or Ducharme will do so at their own peril. I would have added in the write up "UCONN brings in a tremendous quartet of new freshmen not to mention outstanding transfer Juhusz. UCONN will have unmatched depth and will come at opponents in waves - get a starter in foul trouble, and a player equally as good (if not better) will come in off the bench."

Or something like that. I do appreciate not sugar coating the "bottom dwellers" in the conference. If I were Depaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, etc. I'd be less concerned about UCONN and more concerned how they (and the rest of the conference) does OOC. That will go a long way in determining the strength of the BE below UCONN to see who makes the big dance.
Well said!!! BIG East teams already know they are not going to beat UConn, though they will try. This year's team is markedly better than last year's. UConn will be the BIGGEST games on these team's schedule. They will circle the date on the calendar when the final conference schedule is released (which should be this week). UConn will get each conference team's "best shot" both times.

None of them will look forward to the Storrs road trip. They will have nothing to gain or learn from it. :( The thing they all need to focus on is trying to go undefeated against everyone else and secure that number 2 spot in the final conference standings, and try to get a bid to the NCAA tournament. The other coaches and players in the BE are not unaware or doubtful that UConn will win the BE. That's been a given since it was announced that UConn was rejoining the BE 2 years ago.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It is mind boggling to me on how poorly researched and validated this “write-up” was given. To wit:
Olivia and Chrystin are two of the five top scorers returning, so why say “and” to include them?
Jim Crowley only coaches at PC, not also Creighton, who is coached by Jim Flanery.
Saying Maddie Siegrist (great player!) will contend with AEH for POY is really a “reach” comment, given that our top 6 players are all better than Maddy and top 8 are probably better than AEH. That’s how deep UConn is.
While I think Meg Duffy is great, to say she’s turned around Marquette is not true. Carolyn Kieger had done that since 2016 with 25-8;24-10 And 27-8 records.
My goodness 85% of all the BY members could have written a more comprehensive and logical dissertation on this years Big East- why aren’t they consulting us? ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Something else is completely missing in this article, a discussion on transfers, not just at UConn but also at Seton Hall & St Johns, two programs that were substantially strengthened by the addition of talented transfers.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Something else is completely missing in this article, a discussion on transfers, not just at UConn but also at Seton Hall & St Johns, two programs that were substantially strengthened by the addition of talented transfers.
All hail the portal!!! :D

Reaction Score

Seton Hall also lost Elmore to transfer.

Reaction Score
Is the Big East basically a JuCo league where the better players seek a higher profile school via transfer portal?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is the Big East basically a JuCo league where the better players seek a higher profile school via transfer portal?
And Andra E-Hunter transferred from the SEC to the Big East. At least I think it was the SEC. She was at about 4 different schools before landing at Seton Hall :p

Reaction Score
None of them will look forward to the Storrs road trip. They will have nothing to gain or learn from it. :( The thing they all need to focus on is trying to go undefeated against everyone else and secure that number 2 spot in the final conference standings, and try to get a bid to the NCAA tournament. The other coaches and players in the BE are not unaware or doubtful that UConn will win the BE. That's been a given since it was announced that UConn was rejoining the BE 2 years ago
Since everybody else in the BE can almost pencil in 2 "L"'s on their record (3 for whover gets to face UCONN in the BE tourney), it's going to be tough to claw their way into the Big Dance unless teams like Marquette, DePaul and maybe Seton Hall can feast on the sacrificial lambs in the conference and not get too badly embarrassed by their OOC opponents.
Supposedly, Doug Bruno and a couple of other HC's in the Big East were gushing about how wonderful it would be to have the Huskies back in the BE.
After the whuppins they all took from UCONN last season (St. John's, Marquette 3 times each) I wonder if they are still glad to have us back.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since everybody else in the BE can almost pencil in 2 "L"'s on their record (3 for whover gets to face UCONN in the BE tourney), it's going to be tough to claw their way into the Big Dance unless teams like Marquette, DePaul and maybe Seton Hall can feast on the sacrificial lambs in the conference and not get too badly embarrassed by their OOC opponents.
Supposedly, Doug Bruno and a couple of other HC's in the Big East were gushing about how wonderful it would be to have the Huskies back in the BE.
After the whuppins they all took from UCONN last season (St. John's, Marquette 3 times each) I wonder if they are still glad to have us back.
If you look around the country, the P5 conferences are typically dominated by 1 or 2 teams that usually hang 2 or 3 losses on most of the teams in their conference. BE teams can still lose to UConn, but they have to secure quality OOC to make it to the Big Dance.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If you look around the country, the P5 conferences are typically dominated by 1 or 2 teams that usually hang 2 or 3 losses on most of the teams in their conference. BE teams can still lose to UConn, but they have to secure quality OOC to make it to the Big Dance.
If the “ultimate goal” for all Big East teams is to get a bid to the NCAA tournament, they must finish second in the final standings, because historically only two teams are chosen from the Big East Conference, whereas some P5 conferences (PAC-12) send 3-5 teams.

Every conference game (win) is critical for any team serious about securing that at large bid. Quality wins over OOC teams may be the deciding factor if two/three teams tie for second place in the final conference standings. Avoiding injuries to your starting five also play a major role in a team’s overall success.

Query: who is the one player that UConn could least afford to lose to injury for an extended period of time?

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
After looking at this article a couple of times, I’ve concluded that it was intended to be the briefest of overviews, not a detailed-in-minutiae expose’ of all things BEWBB. So IMO, nitpicking because this or that factor being omitted is exactly that, nitpicking.

Or perhaps, since the writer is based in TN, it’s another SEC plot to diminish the glory of our beloved Huskies. :oops:

Reaction Score
Well said!!! BIG East teams already know they are not going to beat UConn, though they will try. This year's team is markedly better than last year's. UConn will be the BIGGEST games on these team's schedule. They will circle the date on the calendar when the final conference schedule is released (which should be this week). UConn will get each conference team's "best shot" both times.

None of them will look forward to the Storrs road trip. They will have nothing to gain or learn from it. :( The thing they all need to focus on is trying to go undefeated against everyone else and secure that number 2 spot in the final conference standings, and try to get a bid to the NCAA tournament. The other coaches and players in the BE are not unaware or doubtful that UConn will win the BE. That's been a given since it was announced that UConn was rejoining the BE 2 years ago.
Why would teams not look forward to coming to Storrs, or Hartford? Why do you think that they will circle the dates? It's exciting for them, the players and coaches, and their fans. There is plenty to gain and to learn. Certainly the coaches want their players to play against UConn, as it's a rare learning opportunity for them to see how it's done. And maybe, just maybe... And there are good basketball players on these teams, and if you can play the game you want to play the best, to see if you can compete with them. Fans are more caught up with the wins and losses than the players necessarily are. Sadly, that's all that we fans have. The players just love playing the game; at least that's the way I remember it from when I played. Nice to win, but, hey, let's just go play!! Your yard or mine; I don't care.

Reaction Score
But it's been only a year. When UConn joined the AAC USF stunk and so did UCF. Neither is a power today but when UConn left both were beating P-5 teams. All it takes is a few donors to not like losing by 50.
All the BE needs is better coaching. They do pretty well nationally on the men's side and have done so for decades because they hire top coaching. They could afford Thompson, Massimino, Carniseca, Calhoun et al. Frankly there is little interest for wcbb among the BE alumni except for UConn. Of course a lot of the catholic schools only accepted men back in the day. Maybe the female alumni will change things.

In any case it's better watching basketball, even mismatched games, than the virtual rugby scrums that characterized some of those AAC programs like E Car. or UCF under their prior coach. A lot of those players would have preferred playing football.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But it's been only a year. When UConn joined the AAC USF stunk and so did UCF. Neither is a power today but when UConn left both were beating P-5 teams. All it takes is a few donors to not like losing by 50.
All the BE needs is better coaching. They do pretty well nationally on the men's side and have done so for decades because they hire top coaching. They could afford Thompson, Massimino, Carniseca, Calhoun et al. Frankly there is little interest for wcbb among the BE alumni except for UConn. Of course a lot of the catholic schools only accepted men back in the day. Maybe the female alumni will change things.

In any case it's better watching basketball, even mismatched games, than the virtual rugby scrums that characterized some of those AAC programs like E Car. or UCF under their prior coach. A lot of those players would have preferred playing football.
I think BE coaching on the women’s side is pretty good. There’s a solid mix of veteran coaches along with some talented newbies: Bruno, Tartamella, Dillon, Duffy & Bozzella to name a few. IMO, the challenge is recruiting in an environment that is dominated by P5 schools and UConn.

I do note that Bozzella’s Seton Hall Pirates and Tartamella’s St John’s Redmen we’re both able to attract some pretty talented players in the frenzie of transfers following last season.

Reaction Score
I do note that Bozzella’s Seton Hall Pirates and Tartamella’s St John’s Redmen we’re both able to attract some pretty talented players in the frenzie of transfers following last season.

I think the portal will continue to allow mid-majors to attract talented (and experienced) players from the P-5 teams that need to make room for recruits and can't offer grad scholarships.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think BE coaching on the women’s side is pretty good. There’s a solid mix of veteran coaches along with some talented newbies: Bruno, Tartamella, Dillon, Duffy & Bozzella to name a few. IMO, the challenge is recruiting in an environment that is dominated by P5 schools and UConn.

St Johns teams are now known as the Red Storm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom