Finishing above .500 still possible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finishing above .500 still possible

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yeah have to agree.

One of the biggest issues I have is the players also. I'm watching Vital and Adams clowning around outside the huddle during a time out inside the 2 minute mark. Do they realize they really have no right to do that seeing where they are in UConn history? I get it some rolls down from leadership and all that crap, but these kids are so happy they just made a couple of plays they aren't even listening to the coach (his fault no doubt pull them by the ears and sit them down) but this is what we have. Vital gets excited he made a steal and gets fouled then dunks it 3 seconds after the call and is fist pumping - really? Do you know you guys suck? How about you guys close the game out like a real team instead of allowing a crappy team like USF have a wide open 3 at the end of the game to tie and go to OT? They are clueless and they are the leaders.:eek:

Weird coach, weird team, weird players - not exactly UConn basketball.

EDIT: By no means taking away how badly this team has been coached!

But, we should fill our team with 5 Vitals because he plays hard. The things said on this board are incredible. I'm glad you've come around.

Reaction Score
Hey this team is schizophrenic. We could win 2 or 4. Tulsa, ECU, Memphis and Temple are all winnable games. Unless we act like St. John’s, it’s unlikely we win against the other theee road games.

Reaction Score
Not exactly what most fans expected before the season.
Let’s see the average fan thought we were a lock for the NCAA? That’s ridicules.
In April we had 6-7 players two coming off major injury
Only two players who had played together and
Not highly regarded freshman
The makings of a powerhouse so strong that it was picked 7 th in the preseason AAC
A league that might get 4 in .
Of course if Gilbert and Larrier come back 100% and we found another shooter rebounder ,rim protector there was hope of top four.
There was hope after beating Oregon and starting 8 -0 that we might be coming together.
Then Gilbert went down
CV has played beyond his lowly high school rating (200) but if he as a sophomore is your chief scoring option than your in trouble
The NCAA was a hope it always is but your confusing hope with reality I think preseason the upside was 20 wins and the NIT. We probably won’t win another game as the realization that it’s over and their coach is gone has hit the team.
Last night they were going through the motions . Deserted by its loyal fans.
The three that transferred screwed us and their teammates big time.
It became the fouth consecutive rebuilding year for a coach who is fried.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let’s see the average fan thought we were a lock for the NCAA? That’s ridicules.
In April we had 6-7 players two coming off major injury
Only two players who had played together and
Not highly regarded freshman
The makings of a powerhouse so strong that it was picked 7 th in the preseason AAC
A league that might get 4 in .
Of course if Gilbert and Larrier come back 100% and we found another shooter rebounder ,rim protector there was hope of top four.
There was hope after beating Oregon and starting 8 -0 that we might be coming together.
Then Gilbert went down
CV has played beyond his lowly high school rating (200) but if he as a sophomore is your chief scoring option than your in trouble
The NCAA was a hope it always is but your confusing hope with reality I think preseason the upside was 20 wins and the NIT. We probably won’t win another game as the realization that it’s over and their coach is gone has hit the team.
Last night they were going through the motions . Deserted by its loyal fans.
The three that transferred screwed us and their teammates big time.
It became the fouth consecutive rebuilding year for a coach who is fried.

Not a lock but not last season either. If the team jelled as most thought then an NCAA bid was very possible and at the very least an NIT bid. This team is lucky to end up over .500 the way they are playing.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be so sure that we beat ECU @ their home court. We lost last year with a better team and they did play is tough at home this year. I would put that more of a toss up game at best.
I guess the rationale for us being better last year than this, was that we weren't blown out many times like this year. The record doesn't indicate it at this point.

Reaction Score
I guess the rationale for us being better last year than this, was that we weren't blown out many times like this year. The record doesn't indicate it at this point.
We were more competitive as a whole once we got Jackson in the rotation with facey stepping up. Last years team had flaws but at least you had Rodney purvis starting over Vital and facey and brimah up front. Jackson was decent in the larrier mode last year. Carlton might be a good player but he is very inconsistent and no other freshman or new guy has stepped up. We probably will finish under .500 this year too but with worst statistics than last year almost every where.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm still somewhat surprised that people say the Gilbert injury sealed our fate...we're basing our fate off a kid we saw play in what -- 6 games? He might be good -- but to point to him as the reason for our struggles this year is a bit of a stretch.
"Sealed our fate," "basing our fate," and "the reason for our struggles" are three different phrases. I'm not particularly surprised that AG's loss would be offered as impacting the performance; there's not much else to suggest whether you warm to the idea or not.
And "Bit of a stretch?" Hardly. It'd be a huge stretch to tie your narrative together as it pivots and leapfrog from one idea to another as though they are the same. I think you're badly over reaching. If not, you might have a point.

Reaction Score
But those games were against Stonybrook, Colgate, BU, and Oregon. 3/4 games against cupcakes -- and even then we had some difficulties finishing them off. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy a healthy Gilbert as the big factor some do.
Hard to know. We would definitely be better, but that doesn't change terrible coaching with no discernible improvement in basic player fundamentals or in-game execution of sound team basketball. KO might be a great coach with a core of 4 and 5 star players that can instinctively create and self execute, bailing him out of his own incompetence, but he doesn't have a clue how to bring along and develop the incomplete player. It's plain to see on any given game day and over the course of this nightmare season.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If losing one guy who has played a handful of games sealed the team's fate, the coach did a terrible job of assembling the roster.

we all know he pushed a reset button last May, we all know a bunch of kids transferred and / or decommitted, so we all knew we were short handed coming into the season

when you begin the season short handed, you can't afford to lose key players

having said all of that, most teams won't meet expectations when they lose key players, that's just the way it is far more often than not, especially when they begin the season short handed

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Does the CBI still exist? How about college insider tournament? Myself, I would hope that we have enough dignity to decline invitations to that kind of event.

playing more and practicing more and gaining some sort of post season experience can only help, they won't be so stupid as to decline any invitation

Reaction Score
playing more and practicing more and gaining some sort of post season experience can only help, they won't be so stupid as to decline any invitation
If your team had 3-4 freshman and 2-3 sophomores and they and the coach were all coming back getting the feel of post season play might be beneficial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom