Finally time for the first practice of the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finally time for the first practice of the season

Reaction Score
We’ve seen some footage of the team going through plays with no opposition and some of them playing against the male practice players. Azzi was visible in one of the former shooting a corner 3.

What we haven’t seen is any 5 on 5 against each other. I’m not sure how much of this they will be doing yet.

Reaction Score
I attended today's practice. Lots of drills. 4X4 defensive practice against the practice players. Offensive 5X5 on inbounds and lots of work setting screens. Lots of running drills up and down the court with lots of passing. I'd say that 3pt shooting will be an emphasis.

Everyone but Griffin ran all the drills that were non-contact.

Bueckers shot about 20% in warmups and then made everything during practice.

El Alfy does not like to lose a rebound.

Ziebell made every 3 she took in the simulation drills except 1. She gets it off quickly too. A lot of the sets were run to get her free for a 3. She spent a lot of time with the regulars.

This looks like a team with 9 new faces. Daley said that this was their third practice and that it's a lot of work to develop the timing on screens and drives UConn uses and that is what they were doing today.

There was a nice presentation from a company that sell a shot-tracking system that not only records makes and misses but also tracks exactly how the shot went through the net. According to them the optimum launch angle is 47degrees and the optimum shot is 4 inches past the center of the rim.

The best part of the day to me was the video guy, Ben something, who showed sets UConn uses and the variations that result.

I go back tomorrow for another session. I kinda wish I was seeing the 25th practice instead of the third today. But I'm not complaining.

Reaction Score
I attended today's practice. Lots of drills. 4X4 defensive practice against the practice players. Offensive 5X5 on inbounds and lots of work setting screens. Lots of running drills up and down the court with lots of passing. I'd say that 3pt shooting will be an emphasis.

Ziebell made every 3 she took in the simulation drills except 1. She gets it off quickly too. A lot of the sets were run to get her free for a 3. She spent a lot of time with the regulars.

This looks like a team with 9 new faces. Daley said that this was their third practice and that it's a lot of work to develop the timing on screens and drives UConn uses and that is what they were doing today.

There was a nice presentation from a company that sell a shot-tracking system that not only records makes and misses but also tracks exactly how the shot went through the net. According to them the optimum launch angle is 47degrees and the optimum shot is 4 inches past the center of the rim.

The best part of the day to me was the video guy, Ben something, who showed sets UConn uses and the variations that result.

I go back tomorrow for another session. I kinda wish I was seeing the 25th practice instead of the third today. But I'm not complaining.
I love this. Thanks for the report.

sun

Reaction Score
That's wonderful news to hear about Allie, that she could be a key player for our 1-2 punch.

Reaction Score

Great to hear about Jana. We need rebounds especially with AE gone. How did she look under the basket on O and D?

Allie is great news considering Azzi will be down until probably Early December if the timetable is correct.

Did Morgan participate at all? Haven't even seen a glimpse of her in these practice videos.

You think they'll be ready by the start of the season?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great to hear about Jana. We need rebounds especially with AE gone. How did she look under the basket on O and D?

Allie is great news considering Azzi will be down until probably Early December if the timetable is correct.

Did Morgan participate at all? Haven't even seen a glimpse of her in these practice videos.

You think they'll be ready by the start of the season?
Geno just said Morgan will be ready for opening day, didn't he? Also, he's hopeful Azzi will be back mid-November [fingers crossed, he said]

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Just because we don’t see em in a video clip. . . Doesn’t mean they aren’t working and integrating themselves into the UConn team and structure.

Now I’ll just make something up. The coaching staff are keeping them under cover until November. ;)

Reaction Score
One takeaway I got from @Alydar's post above is that some considerable time in the non-contact drills is spent working on the timing of pics and related plays. I imagine everyone except Aubrey is participating in these, and especially Morgan.

update one minute later: Geno looks like he had a lot of pasta on that Italy trip. Oh, yeah, and Morgan is in this practice.

Reaction Score

Very cool. Thanks for the post . Can't wait to hear about day 2.

I can tell Allie Z is cold blooded. She's a legit 6 ft with deep range. Even the bucket in the Paige video was tough. They got so many options at the 2, all high quality. I hope she gets playing time.

Reaction Score
And, yeah, Paige can shoot. And keep the sound off because the music to this one is ugly.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom