Finally, Real News From The Master | The Boneyard

Finally, Real News From The Master

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno speaks some Italian to us.

UConn Women's Insider: UConn Geno Auriemma Betting Huskies' Italian Tour Will Pay Off

"Everybody had a great time," Auriemma said. "Some of [the players] came up to me and said, 'Coach this is like a once-in-a lifetime experience. I never imagined that I would do this or it would be like this.' And that's just from a growing up, cultural, life experience kind of thing."

Then he got down to talking basketball.

"We got to see some things that we already assumed," Auriemma said. "We were able to point out to some of our players, this is how good we can be and this is how much better some of you need to get if you want to contribute. We already knew we had four really, really good players going over there. We already knew we had four of the best players in the country."

The rest of the country quakes at this I suspect:

"Now we wanted to find out how many more than four that we have. And how many more than four can we think are going to be solid enough that they're going to enhance these other four. The four starters from last year also found out, if I don't get better, people are going to catch up to us. So even the four players that had amazing years last year, all found out, I got to get a lot better."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eureka! I have figured it out. Lexi is the Frosh 4 Nanny!

Fresh 4.jpg

Yup, she's Fran Drescher's doppelganger.

Reaction Score
Geno speaks some Italian to us.

UConn Women's Insider: UConn Geno Auriemma Betting Huskies' Italian Tour Will Pay Off

"Everybody had a great time," Auriemma said. "Some of [the players] came up to me and said, 'Coach this is like a once-in-a lifetime experience. I never imagined that I would do this or it would be like this.' And that's just from a growing up, cultural, life experience kind of thing."

Then he got down to talking basketball.

"We got to see some things that we already assumed," Auriemma said. "We were able to point out to some of our players, this is how good we can be and this is how much better some of you need to get if you want to contribute. We already knew we had four really, really good players going over there. We already knew we had four of the best players in the country."

The rest of the country quakes at this I suspect:

"Now we wanted to find out how many more than four that we have. And how many more than four can we think are going to be solid enough that they're going to enhance these other four. The four starters from last year also found out, if I don't get better, people are going to catch up to us. So even the four players that had amazing years last year, all found out, I got to get a lot better."
Geno is always teaching and educating the ladies. Never be complacent and always strive for more. That's why his kids always improve and develop with very few exceptions. That loss in their last exhibition was a key teaching tool.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is always teaching and educating the ladies. Never be complacent and always strive for more. That's why his kids always improve and develop with very few exceptions. That loss in their last exhibition was a key teaching tool.

Yes, he does not have to pray for an early season loss now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"[The freshmen] came out of high school with a certain sense of, this is who I am, this is what I can do, this is how good I am," Auriemma said. "Everybody's told me since the time I was 12 that I'm great. Nobody can stop me and I got it all figured out. Then they got to campus for the first week [in May] and they struggled with our fitness test. So I'm like, 'How's the basketball part ever going to happen if you can't do this part?'

"Then we go over there and they have a little bit success. But in the Slovenia game, when I played them in the second half, those kids really showed them — 'You guys thought you were pretty good basketball players wherever you were in high school? Well guess what? This ain't high school.' So it was good. It was good for them to see that in August instead of waiting until November to see it. That's the whole point of the trip."

Thought someone would be all over this by now. Too many of you have a life I see!

Reaction Score
Rocky, I don't know whether to thank you (more news!!) or not, because we still have 2+ months before the first game. I love football, but I'd gladly trade the entire college and pro season (and I have tickets to the first Patriots' game, where they raise the latest Superbowl banner) for UConn's season to start. Talk about expectations!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, I don't know whether to thank you (more news!!) or not, because we still have 2+ months before the first game. I love football, but I'd gladly trade the entire college and pro season (and I have tickets to the first Patriots' game, where they raise the latest Superbowl banner) for UConn's season to start. Talk about expectations!!

Well said. My mouth fell open and still is from reading that article. Hubris, mojo howls ... truth is Geno just told the world:

Answer: He has and look out WCBB world.

Reaction Score
At first, I thought this thread was about me until I realized I haven't offered up any real news lately.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another blurb from the article that may have been missed because it is below some of the videos. Good perspective on last season

"People want to talk about, how you going to make sure what happened last year doesn't happen again?" Auriemma said. "How you going to do that? How you going to make sure you don't lose a game in overtime in the Final Four? How you going to make sure you go more than 37-1? You don't make sure that that doesn't happen. What you try to do is make sure everyone else is better. You try to make everyone on your team a little bit better and see what happens."

Reaction Score
"[The freshmen] came out of high school with a certain sense of, this is who I am, this is what I can do, this is how good I am," Auriemma said. "Everybody's told me since the time I was 12 that I'm great. Nobody can stop me and I got it all figured out. Then they got to campus for the first week [in May] and they struggled with our fitness test. So I'm like, 'How's the basketball part ever going to happen if you can't do this part?'

"Then we go over there and they have a little bit success. But in the Slovenia game, when I played them in the second half, those kids really showed them — 'You guys thought you were pretty good basketball players wherever you were in high school? Well guess what? This ain't high school.' So it was good. It was good for them to see that in August instead of waiting until November to see it. That's the whole point of the trip."

Thought someone would be all over this by now. Too many of you have a life I see!
I said he got what he wanted right after their loss. Teaching moments.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Long-sought confirmation that Geno threw the freshmen into the deep end of the pool in the second half of the Slovenia game. Lesson taught and, hopefully, lesson learned: You're not in high school (or Kansas) any more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom