Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ice has the engine to be Morrow or Boston but it wouldn’t surprise me if she were better than ONO offensively. Geno loves that big that can shoot from the foul line. It’s a game changer.
i agree on Boston vs Ice. Morrow, is a different case. Everything for me depends on seeing ICE in action on the floor. I thought Morrow was a "deceptive" player, in every meaning of the word. She got away, in the game with Uconn, with more than Edwards. If she hadn't Her success could have been less. She is a physical power, with a great shot in close.
I m holding back a bit, but ICE could be Uconn's answers to Morrows on any team.

Reaction Score
That's a legit POV. But then I remember that both Bueckers and Fudd played 2 years above their age so they have already faced and dominated many of the top players already enrolled in college before they even got there. Bueckers won the world U19 championship MOP with college-level teammates
Fran Belibi
Aliyah Boston
Queen Egbo
Naz Hilmon
Rhyne Howard
Ashley Joens

It was an historically impressive lineup. I left Celeste Taylor and Caitlan Clark off since they were in Bueckers' class. And remember, Fudd won the NHSPOY that year as a sophomore and then tore her ACL or she would also have been on that team.

Generally in the past I've been a wait and see fan with freshmen but for the last 2 years UConn freshmen have come in and played significant roles right through the NCAA's, when Geno's bench always gets short. It seems that HS players are learning college level skills at an earlier age, and now, in the NIL age, elite training in HS seems to be more common. Maybe the women are catching up to the men, where freshmen commonly start and star.
I think everyone learned how successful Freshmen could be. But Uconn has had very very successful freshmen over the years. Of all the years I 've spent on court side at Uconn and watching on TV, this past season, for me, was exceptional. Freshmen and Sophomores led the way. Without them, I'm on fairly firm ground with, it may not have ended so well--yes, even losing an NC can be an exceptional season.

Reaction Score
We can only hope!! Of all the players on this team, the two I'm going to pay immediate attention to is DeBerry first, and Ayanna Patterson second. I want to see if either or both of them can play with the first unit (the BIG girls) or not. Just like in the WNBA, there are two units...the starters, and the reserves or the second unit. We can pretty much figure out who will be in the first unit. That's low hanging fruit.
The question is how many or which one of the reserves can hang with the starters and be productive? All of the newbies come in unproven and with a question mark on their jersey. How long that question mark remains on their jersey is up to them.

I remember my skepticism of Paige and how well and quickly she could adapt to play at this level. Remember the first 3 games (Quinnipiac, Maine/Mississippi State and Louisville) of the season were canceled because of the COVID19 virus outbreak?

Remember when Geno (desperate for a game) called UMass-Lowell for a game? They gladly accepted. I would have settled for a game with with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" at that point. I just just wanted the team to play a game. Other programs had already played 3-4 games before we played one.

THAT was the first "LIVE" game I saw Paige in. While UMass-Lowell is a low-major program, they are D1. I was thoroughly impressed with Paige. Any doubts/fears that I had about her were quickly alleviated. I wanted the ball in HER hands after seeing her "showcase" her talents that afternoon. I don't think it's going to take more than 1-2 games for us to figure out which of the newbies is ready (or will be very soon) for prime time minutes.
This is not 100 percent accurate, for sure. I believed for many decades that top players play well at most levels. Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Uconn historic greats have proven that. Some that don't probably shouldn't have been considered (harsh, huh?). Right now, I'm believing Uconn kids for 9 or so players are in that "can play anywhere" category, while healthy.
I'm still in the wait and see group, I have high hopes, high apple pie in the sky hope, oops there goes

Reaction Score
If Morrow can do it, why can’t Brady? She has the height, weight, and experience playing in the paint. All she needs is the heart and the opportunity.
It's only a dream when it doesn't come true. OPPORTUNITY is knocking!!

Reaction Score
“I want to do what it takes, whatever the role the coaches have for me that will help us win championships is what I’ll do,” Brady said. “Whether it’s getting all the rebounds, making good passes, scoring in the post, I’ll do whatever it takes.” - Ice Brady.

How can you not root and cheer for a player with that attitude? I'm telling you, I like this young lady. I don't think she'll disappoint.
I've said it many times, and I'll say it again.........she takes a no no sense approach to playing and learning the game. She plays under control,
and she plays with a sense of urgency. I'm very interested to see her development by mid January (14-15 games). The training wheels should have come off by then as the game should have slowed down and her sea legs are steady and firm beneath her. ;)
“The number one thing is the level of intensity. When I had my first individual workout with CD I learned very quickly that things here are faster, more intense, more elite than anything I’ve done.” ~ Ice Brady.

Her comment mirrors EXACTLY those that Crystal Dangerfield given during an interview after the second day of official practice her freshman year. Crystal said (I'm paraphrasing) "of all the junior high, high school and AAU basketball games and practices I've ever participated in, NOTHING has prepared me for what I've gone through these first two days of practice."

Lots of adjustments for freshmen to make at this level. The most notable is the difference in the speed of the game at the ELITE college level, and the size and quickness of other players. It's an adjustment every freshman makes. Some like Paige and Maya make it very quickly. Everything I've seen and read about Brady tells me she's special. From what I can see, she takes a serious no non sense approach to playing and improving her game. I believe Brady could become one of the predominate post players in the country by her junior year.

Don't hold me to this, but I think once she gets her sea legs, and the game slows down for her, she could possibly become our Aliyah Boston. :rolleyes:
There are HS conferences and AAU conferences and there are those that play the best most of the season. All experiences aren't equal. Brady hasn't seen it all but she is no novice to big time BB. How well did she do this summer, did she hide, foul a lot, not take shots? That is one of my indicators--Uconn's kids that play internationally pre Uconn and excelled mostly were standouts.
Big really big 6 ft 5 or taller, some are stars in little ponds. Size alone is enough. In Div 1, size doesn't cut it. Skill with size is only the starter.

Reactions: KCD
Reaction Score
I thought Morrow was a "deceptive" player, in every meaning of the word. She got away, in the game with Uconn, with more than Edwards.
I’ve commented on this before. When we played them in Chicago, she got away with a lot and Aaliyah and the other bigs were dinged with touch fouls all game long. It was a different story in Storrs. She got more balanced officiating and it affected her game. She still had a good game, but she wasn’t a decisive factor, no longer an unstoppable force as in the previous game.

I think the biased officiating did her a disservice and I think it showed in the tournament. She’s an awesome player who doesn’t need help from the officials. But she also needs to manage her fouls better, and she can’t learn that with biased officiating.

Reaction Score
I think everyone learned how successful Freshmen could be. But Uconn has had very very successful freshmen over the years. Of all the years I 've spent on court side at Uconn and watching on TV, this past season, for me, was exceptional. Freshmen and Sophomores led the way. Without them, I'm on fairly firm ground with, it may not have ended so well--yes, even losing an NC can be an exceptional season.

The last 2 classes have been exceptional. Maybe that's why I'm so optimistic about the freshmen. Bettincourt will need some time but the other two look like impact players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Another Brady article with different quotes and a lot of personal background.

“Very physical player,” said fifth-year post player Dorka Juhász, ....

“She’s a super physical player. She shoots great. She’s a hard-working girl. Even in the weight room, you guys should see it, just the big weights. She is super strong. I think she’s fitting in perfectly and I’m very excited about her. Obviously (freshmen) are going to be put in the deep water right away because everybody needs to jump in this season.”

Reaction Score
Obviously (freshmen) are going to be put in the deep water right away because everybody needs to jump in this season

My guess is that this is the message being given by the coaches. They obviously think the freshmen have the ability. If their work ethic is as advertised we should be in good shape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom