Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady | The Boneyard

Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“Ice’s biggest skill is she is left-handed,” UConn assistant coach Jamelle Elliott said. “She is very smooth. She is fluid. She shoots the ball extremely well from the outside, and she has a physique that I think can really do a good job of carving out some space in the lane and creating some easy buckets for herself around the basket. She is just as comfortable working at the high post.

“The number one thing is the level of intensity,” Brady said. “When I had my first individual workout with CD I learned very quickly that things here are faster, more intense, more elite than anything I’ve done.”

“I want to do what it takes, whatever the role the coaches have for me that will help us win championships is what I’ll do,” Brady said. “Whether it’s getting all the rebounds, making good passes, scoring in the post, I’ll do whatever it takes.”

Reaction Score

“Ice’s biggest skill is she is left-handed,” UConn assistant coach Jamelle Elliott said. “She is very smooth. She is fluid. She shoots the ball extremely well from the outside, and she has a physique that I think can really do a good job of carving out some space in the lane and creating some easy buckets for herself around the basket. She is just as comfortable working at the high post.

“The number one thing is the level of intensity,” Brady said. “When I had my first individual workout with CD I learned very quickly that things here are faster, more intense, more elite than anything I’ve done.”

“I want to do what it takes, whatever the role the coaches have for me that will help us win championships is what I’ll do,” Brady said. “Whether it’s getting all the rebounds, making good passes, scoring in the post, I’ll do whatever it takes.”
Thank you eebmg. New articles are a plus during this time of the year. Thanks to all who post new articles to the BY for us Husky fanatics. Keep’em coming!

Reaction Score
I like this quote, haha: :)

“I’m not sure there is anything that can prepare you for the CD (associate head coach Chris Dailey) workouts she’s about to get, but I know for sure she’s coming in with a great mentality,” Fudd said.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ice is something of an X-factor for UConn this season. She has a wonderful shooting touch and a BIG body. How quickly she develops her ability to compete against top college players could be significant in determining just how far this Husky team goes. I would love to see Ice holding her own against SC’s Bigs in March. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“The number one thing is the level of intensity. When I had my first individual workout with CD I learned very quickly that things here are faster, more intense, more elite than anything I’ve done.” ~ Ice Brady.

Her comment mirrors EXACTLY those that Crystal Dangerfield given during an interview after the second day of official practice her freshman year. Crystal said (I'm paraphrasing) "of all the junior high, high school and AAU basketball games and practices I've ever participated in, NOTHING has prepared me for what I've gone through these first two days of practice."

Lots of adjustments for freshmen to make at this level. The most notable is the difference in the speed of the game at the ELITE college level, and the size and quickness of other players. It's an adjustment every freshman makes. Some like Paige and Maya make it very quickly. Everything I've seen and read about Brady tells me she's special. From what I can see, she takes a serious no non sense approach to playing and improving her game. I believe Brady could become one of the predominate post players in the country by her junior year.

Don't hold me to this, but I think once she gets her sea legs, and the game slows down for her, she could possibly become our Aliyah Boston. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The most notable is the difference in the speed of the game at the ELITE college level, and the size and quickness of other players.
Exactly! In HS most teams they play will have 14 and 15 year olds on the court. In D1, they're the lilt kids, no matter how big they are.

Don't hold me to this, but I think once she gets her sea legs, and the game slows down for her, she could possibly become our Aliyah Boston
I'm totally holding you to this, because I expect it too. In part, it's because I saw a game between CCHS and LJCDS where she was up against Breya Cunningham -- who is admittedly a year younger -- and Ice just had her way with her. Unlike Amari, she's used to playing against kids her size.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Exactly! In HS most teams they play will have 14 and 15 year olds on the court. In D1, they're the lilt kids, no matter how big they are.

I'm totally holding you to this, because I expect it too. In part, it's because I saw a game between CCHS and LJCDS where she was up against Breya Cunningham -- who is admittedly a year younger -- and Ice just had her way with her. Unlike Amari, she's used to playing against kids her size.
“I want to do what it takes, whatever the role the coaches have for me that will help us win championships is what I’ll do,” Brady said. “Whether it’s getting all the rebounds, making good passes, scoring in the post, I’ll do whatever it takes.” - Ice Brady.

How can you not root and cheer for a player with that attitude? I'm telling you, I like this young lady. I don't think she'll disappoint.
I've said it many times, and I'll say it again.........she takes a no no sense approach to playing and learning the game. She plays under control,
and she plays with a sense of urgency. I'm very interested to see her development by mid January (14-15 games). The training wheels should have come off by then as the game should have slowed down and her sea legs are steady and firm beneath her. ;)

Reaction Score
It's good to see that the media is over their preoccupation of replacing Bueckers. I'm not going to predict who starts but whatever 5 Geno puts out there, the bench will be top 25 team. The last 3 minutes of blowouts will not be a mistake-filled bore.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe her intensity will spill over to DeBerry.
We can only hope!! Of all the players on this team, the two I'm going to pay immediate attention to is DeBerry first, and Ayanna Patterson second. I want to see if either or both of them can play with the first unit (the BIG girls) or not. Just like in the WNBA, there are two units...the starters, and the reserves or the second unit. We can pretty much figure out who will be in the first unit. That's low hanging fruit.
The question is how many or which one of the reserves can hang with the starters and be productive? All of the newbies come in unproven and with a question mark on their jersey. How long that question mark remains on their jersey is up to them.

I remember my skepticism of Paige and how well and quickly she could adapt to play at this level. Remember the first 3 games (Quinnipiac, Maine/Mississippi State and Louisville) of the season were canceled because of the COVID19 virus outbreak?

Remember when Geno (desperate for a game) called UMass-Lowell for a game? They gladly accepted. I would have settled for a game with with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" at that point. I just just wanted the team to play a game. Other programs had already played 3-4 games before we played one.

THAT was the first "LIVE" game I saw Paige in. While UMass-Lowell is a low-major program, they are D1. I was thoroughly impressed with Paige. Any doubts/fears that I had about her were quickly alleviated. I wanted the ball in HER hands after seeing her "showcase" her talents that afternoon. I don't think it's going to take more than 1-2 games for us to figure out which of the newbies is ready (or will be very soon) for prime time minutes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"...getting all the rebounds"!
UConn needed someone like that in the NCAA championship game. Someone like Jamelle, who thought every rebound belonged to her and took it as a personal affront if someone else got "her" rebound. I'm thinking Patterson will be like that too.

I can't wait to see Ice playing for UConn. Ayanna, too, but I've been waiting for Ice for SOOOO long.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We can only hope!! Of all the players on this team, the two I'm going to pay immediate attention to is DeBerry first, and Ayanna Patterson second. I want to see if either or both of them can play with the first unit (the BIG girls) or not. Just like in the WNBA, there are two units...the starters, and the reserves or the second unit. We can pretty much figure out who will be in the first unit. That's low hanging fruit.
The question is how many or which one of the reserves can hang with the starters and be productive? All of the newbies come in unproven and with a question mark on their jersey. How long that question mark remains on their jersey is up to them.

I remember my skepticism of Paige and how well and quickly she could adapt to play at this level. Remember the first 3 games (Quinnipiac, Maine/Mississippi State and Louisville) of the season were canceled because of the COVID19 virus outbreak?

Remember when Geno (desperate for a game) called UMass-Lowell for a game? They gladly accepted. I would have settled for a game with with the "Little Sisters of the Poor" at that point. I just just wanted the team to play a game. Other programs had already played 3-4 games before we played one.

THAT was the first "LIVE" game I saw Paige in. While UMass-Lowell is a low-major program, they are D1. I was thoroughly impressed with Paige. Any doubts/fears that I had about her were quickly alleviated. I wanted the ball in HER hands after seeing her "showcase" her talents that afternoon. I don't think it's going to take more than 1-2 games for us to figure out which of the newbies is ready (or will be very soon) for prime time minutes.
Hmm

Interesting that you had skepticism about Paige before her first game. I had zero concerns. News had already 'leaked' out how well she looks in practice and Geno's quote " She does not act that she is better than any one else (our Kardashian) with all the social media and stuff. Don't get me wrong, She knows she is good, very very good and her team mates love to play with her. If they are open, she passes the ball and they score and if she is open, just give it to her and she scores (with a full faced smile / smirk) And then the "I knew she was good but she is better than I expected"

I do not think that language was used before by Geno on anyone. before.

Regarding your main point that it only takes 1-2 games to see if a freshman player will fit in and be an important player as newbies, Paige is not a realistic example of that principle. More down to earth examples are needed

That was definitely true for Aaliyah (and Azzi when healed) but it took longer for Caroline and Mir seemed at the beginning had the stuff (at least to me) but never got on track (or out of the dog husky house)

But I have a good feeling about our newbies and we will not need to throw any back,

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There are several candidates for breakout seasons and there's also reason to hope about the freshmen after seeing 5 freshmen play important minutes the last 2 seasons. If a few of them pan out UConn is right in the fight.

I became totally impressed with Bueckers right after her sophomore HS season. It's anathema to suggest that HS can be a reliable predictor but there are always exceptions. :)

Reaction Score
“The number one thing is the level of intensity. When I had my first individual workout with CD I learned very quickly that things here are faster, more intense, more elite than anything I’ve done.” ~ Ice Brady.

Her comment mirrors EXACTLY those that Crystal Dangerfield given during an interview after the second day of official practice her freshman year. Crystal said (I'm paraphrasing) "of all the junior high, high school and AAU basketball games and practices I've ever participated in, NOTHING has prepared me for what I've gone through these first two days of practice."

Lots of adjustments for freshmen to make at this level. The most notable is the difference in the speed of the game at the ELITE college level, and the size and quickness of other players. It's an adjustment every freshman makes. Some like Paige and Maya make it very quickly. Everything I've seen and read about Brady tells me she's special. From what I can see, she takes a serious no non sense approach to playing and improving her game. I believe Brady could become one of the predominate post players in the country by her junior year.

Don't hold me to this, but I think once she gets her sea legs, and the game slows down for her, she could possibly become our Aliyah Boston. /a
She caught on EARLY, sounds like a winner.

Reaction Score
There are times when she reminds me a little of Wilson on the Aces. Similar looking jumper and moves around the basket. An inch shorter, probably not quite as athletic or as much vertical lift, but you can see some similarities there.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ice has the engine to be Morrow or Boston but it wouldn’t surprise me if she were better than ONO offensively. Geno loves that big that can shoot from the foul line. It’s a game changer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom