Finally, a little positivity | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finally, a little positivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
well... if UConn stays in the NNBE (or whatever it's called if the fb/bb split happens) and the new guys help keep BCS status, I'm happy. However, the loss of an eastern identity would be a major loss for me. Who knows, if UConn and say, Houston were to improve over the next five years, there could be a big ESPN Friday night game with Orange bowl implications, it could draw eyeballs and fan interest. But it wouldn't feel the same as it would with another northeastern school, or even a mid-atlantic / appalachian school where they burn couches, it wouldn't have that regional sense of rivalry.

I'm pretty sure it won't be on ESPN. Reading the tea leaves I would think the new BE contract is probably going to be on NBC Sports, Fox or a combination of the two. ESPN might grap a piece of it too but there is no way we'll be exclusively on ESPN. I think the BE - ESPN relationship is pretty much over.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not trying to come off as a or anything, BUT, eastern football hasn't had any identity for 20 years (coinciding with PSU going to the B1G). And there won't be an eastern identity going forward. We need a national identity that includes the biggest available markets in parts of the country that devour football year round. That's what SMU, Houston and UCF bring to the table. A fan base that is rabid for football in the biggest media markets.
For the record, if I had the golden sword we'd be in a conference with BCU, Uconn, SU, PSU, Pitt, WVU, Snooki, Maryland and we'd have the mid-atlantic and northeast locked up. But it's not happening.

Reaction Score
The BE is not going away. The only question is will it continue to be a football league. The article makes a great point regarding TV markets and potential. Houston, Dallas, Orlando are larger TV markets. In addition, adding Boise State, SMU and Houston makes the conference tougher.

He's also right that in perception, the BE is #6, that doesn't change with the defections and additions. Yes Boise and Houston are better right now than any BE football team.
The problem with the BE, if it wishes to become a hoops only school is that means UConn, Louisville,& WV leave, plus, ND won't remain in the BE hoops under those conditions.
There's also a possibility (probably remote) that Villanova may move up in football. That leaves G'town, SHU, St John's PC, Marquette, DePaul. Yeah, Xavier & Dayton could join, but that's not much more than a glorified A-10

Reaction Score
Not trying to come off as a or anything, BUT, eastern football hasn't had any identity for 20 years (coinciding with PSU going to the B1G). And there won't be an eastern identity going forward. We need a national identity that includes the biggest available markets in parts of the country that devour football year round. That's what SMU, Houston and UCF bring to the table. A fan base that is rabid for football in the biggest media markets.
For the record, if I had the golden sword we'd be in a conference with BCU, Uconn, SU, PSU, Pitt, WVU, Snooki, Maryland and we'd have the mid-atlantic and northeast locked up. But it's not happening.

Exactly, I agree 100%. A national football league where the Big East takes the most valuable schools not already in BCS leagues could and probably will work. The Big East will most likely still be one of the best hoops leagues in the country so it still has it's core identity but adding schools like Boise, Houston, Air Force, Navy, SMU, and hopefully BYU gives us some very good football programs and a few that are pretty well known.

Reaction Score
Boise basically makes up for the loss of WVU in terms of giving us a perennial top 10 caliber team. after that we're losing 2 teams that played in a combined 3 or 4 bowl games since the first split. it would almost be impossible not to improve in terms of BCS bid calculations. we'll still be considered the weakest BCS conference, we'll still be better than the ACC, and we'll keep our BCS bid, just like before the recent defections. even if we have to replace Louisville.

Bowl bids have nothing to do with the calculations.

Top 25 finishes, average ranking of the top finisher, and average ranking overall of teams in the conference. Right now, the conference meets 2 of the 3 requirements. Losing TCU and WVU was a huge blow. Boise St is now a must get, UCF also helps, Houston and SMU finishing top 25/joining will be a big boost and should allow us to keep our BCS status, however....

There is nothing stopping the BCS from changing the requirements after 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom