Finalist for the 2021 Wade Trophy | The Boneyard

Finalist for the 2021 Wade Trophy

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Of that list I will go with the underdog and vote Naz Hillmon.

I expect Evans or Howard although I am really not sure why. They had better seasons last year.

Reaction Score
Of that list I will go with the underdog and vote Naz Hillmon.

I expect Evans or Howard although I am really not sure why. They had better seasons last year.
This Kentuckian has seen all of Evans's games and most of Howard's. I agree with you 100%. Of the candidates, I'd take Hillmon. Although I think Boston deserves it.

Reaction Score
Within this list it should be Hillmon, hands down.

Smith a distant second.
Evans slightly behind Smith in third.

Rhyne Howard in an extremely distant 4th.
Hypothetical, if smith beats hillmon on Saturday does she jump her for the award?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hypothetical, if smith beats hillmon on Saturday does she jump her for the award?
If Smith beats Hillmon? Are they playing 1-on-1, H-O-R-S-E, or checkers?

Basketball isn't an individual sport. And I said distant.

But the is just my opinion if I had a vote. Probably Smith or Evans is gonna get it, I suspect.
Also, how is Kiana Williams not on this list? SMDH

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Smith beats Hillmon? Are they playing 1-on-1, H-O-R-S-E, or checkers?

Basketball isn't an individual sport. And I said distant.

But the is just my opinion if I had a vote. Probably Smith or Evans is gonna get it, I suspect.
Also, how is Kiana Williams not on this list? SMDH
I mean you know the media is going to hype up hillmon vs smith! They’re both players of the year in their conference

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Within this list it should be Hillmon, hands down.

Smith a distant second.
Evans slightly behind Smith in third.

Rhyne Howard in an extremely distant 4th.

Support all of this this thinking and presentation, Plebe!
Just have to wonder who's watching or zooming who, with no Boston or Williams on this list, as others have brought up.
Hillmon is superb now and is going to have a stellar career at the next level.

Reaction Score
Hillmon has had a far better year than the other three. She should win, but will she? Probably only a 1 in 4 chance.

Reaction Score
I mean you know the media is going to hype up hillmon vs smith! They’re both players of the year in their conference
All four of them are players of the year in the conference.

Reaction Score
Hillmon and Smith appear to me the only deserving 2 on this list, based on performance this year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Season 3 Whatever GIF by NETFLIX
Meh, no Paige, no interest...

Reaction Score
Hillmon has had a far better year than the other three. She should win, but will she? Probably only a 1 in 4 chance.

If Hillmon and Smith switched places would Smith have those elevated stats playing for a Michigan against that competition? Likely.

Would Hillmon have Smith level stats playing at Baylor. Probably not.

More importantly, would each team‘s success levels be impacted? Yes. Michigan probably wins 1-2 more games and Baylor probably isn’t blowing teams out at current levels.

Stats are important but not the whole picture. If both players were in this year’s WNBA draft, 100 times out of 100 Smith is drafted #1 overall while Hillmon is a 2nd rounder. Draft stock isn’t the Be All End All for awards, but it is a useful tool.

Reaction Score
If Hillmon and Smith switched places would Smith have those elevated stats playing for a Michigan against that competition? Likely.

Would Hillmon have Smith level stats playing at Baylor. Probably not.

More importantly, would each team‘s success levels be impacted? Yes. Michigan probably wins 1-2 more games and Baylor probably isn’t blowing teams out at current levels.

Stats are important but not the whole picture. If both players were in this year’s WNBA draft, 100 times out of 100 Smith is drafted #1 overall while Hillmon is a 2nd rounder. Draft stock isn’t the Be All End All for awards, but it is a useful tool.

Playing for a Michigan against that competition? The Big 10 IMO outside of Baylor is tougher than the Big 12, so I’m not sure exactly what the implication you’re trying to make is. Perhaps Smith wouldn’t do as well against that competition, or the middle would be more open for her because Michigan has more outside shooting. It’s hard to make a hypothetical scenario work.

Reaction Score
Playing for a Michigan against that competition? The Big 10 IMO outside of Baylor is tougher than the Big 12, so I’m not sure exactly what the implication you’re trying to make is. Perhaps Smith wouldn’t do as well against that competition, or the middle would be more open for her because Michigan has more outside shooting. It’s hard to make a hypothetical scenario work.
Without regard to “which league is better”, my eyeball test says that the B12 is more athletic than the BTen. Also, purely opinion, the B12 is a more defensively oriented conference and often plays at a slower pace of play. Possessions per game stat clearly supports that opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know that but I’m just saying that smith and hillmon are playing way better than evans and Howard so far. Evans has struggled all postseason and Howard has been disappointing as well.

Reaction Score
How I’d rate them as draft picks

Evans - #6 thru #8, although #4 may have been scouting her.

Howard - #1
Smith - #2
Hillmon - #3

Reaction Score
How I’d rate them as draft picks

Evans - #6 thru #8, although #4 may have been scouting her.

Howard - #1
Smith - #2
Hillmon - #3
I love Dana Evans and the way she plays, but I just don't see her as a WNBA star. She may not even be a full-time starter long term. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
She probably won’t be a starter for years. Who’s job is she going to take?
Nobody that I can think of.

The casual sports fan doesn't realize that the WNBA is one of the toughest rosters to make in all of professional sports.

Reaction Score
WNBA is one of the toughest rosters to make in all of professional sports
Very true! 12 teams, 3 rounds, 36 players who will be trying to oust current players on a 12 person roster. Very difficult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom