Final "Weekend" ~ #23 UConn v. #9 ECU @ J.O.C Field (Thurs. 5/17 @1p & DblHdr Fri. 5/18 @ 11a >>) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Final "Weekend" ~ #23 UConn v. #9 ECU @ J.O.C Field (Thurs. 5/17 @1p & DblHdr Fri. 5/18 @ 11a >>)

Reaction Score
Other news from Chris Jones that I wasn't able to post earlier as I was at the first game. Colby Dunlop seems likely to start the first game of the AAC tournament, which would allow Mason Feole to get more rest.

UConn did the something similar last year when PJ Poulin started the first game of the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
Top 4th, ECU scores a run off a sac fly. 3-1 UConn with 2 out.

Reaction Score
Just want to get back to Jeff Kersten. He's certainly been a solid addition to the pitching staff, but it seems he is a bit of a stretch as a weekend starter. As Chris Jones has said often, Kersten is a pitch to contact guy, and is not going to generate outs through special stuff on his pitches. He needs to throw strikes and not pitch from behind, and really needs to hit his spots. When he is on his game, he can get outs quickly. Otherwise, teams can tee off on him, especially talented teams like Houston and East Carolina. I suspect that the best use for Kersten is either in middle relief or as a middle of a week starter. He seems to be a bit of a stretch as a weekend starter against conference opponents, but he can have his moments. Of course, with the injury to Cate, UConn this season has needed Kersten for the weekend games. If Colby Dunlop improves and develops his game before next season, hopefully Kersten can return to a non starting weekend role for next season. Also, someone like Mike Burrows could end up in the starting rotation if he doesn't go pro and ends up at UConn.

Kersten to a certain degree reminds me of Sam Nepiarsky, another pitch to contact guy who was capable of having some great games, and getting shelled in others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If my eyes dont decieve me, looks like Cate is beginning to throw in the pen

Chris Jones just reported Cate warming up as well. Seems to think Cate is more likely to come in at the beginning of an inning.

Reaction Score
Gardner leaves two runners stranded in the top of the 5th, records his seventh strikeout. 3-1 UConn.

Reaction Score
More I think of it, between his wonderful defense which has solidified the infield and his surprising offense, Woodworth is a worthy candidate for MVP on this team. Never thought I'd be saying that earlier in the season when he was slumping badly in tandem with Moriarty.

UConn has runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 out in the bottom of the 5th, and ECU is making a pitching change.

Reaction Score
Okay... I don’t feel as cheesy now:

Woody and C-Mo have really been incredible. Both struggled so much at beginning of year and are hitting as well as anyone on the team now that the warmer weather is here.

Reaction Score
Winkel strikes out with the bases loaded to end the inning.

Tim Cate coming in to pitch the top of the 6th!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom