Final practice facility budget set | The Boneyard

Final practice facility budget set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Patrick Eaton-Robb@peatonrobb 15m
#UConn board of trustees approves final budget for basketball training facility at $33.3 million. Will include a Hall of Fame.

I've been reading about other schools making bball practice facilities, and theya re all in the $15-$20m range. Is this thing that much nicer than anything out there, or are we talking about a Conn. premium? I know things are more expensive in the northeast, but the cost is 2x as much as other facilities.

Some of you know what's going on with this new building. Does it just have more bells & whistles?

Reaction Score
Accommodation of the WBB team to the level they've earned is a large part of it. Most of those other schools are not providing equal facilities.

That's a surprise since they are required to by federal law even if that means equal time on the court and an equal locker room/weight training etc.

I can see now that the facility has 2 wings, 2 courts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's a surprise since they are required to by federal law even if that means equal time on the court and an equal locker room/weight training etc.

I remember in the Louisville practice video the Squid talking about how it would be "made available" to various groups including intramurals and woman's basketball. Our girls have earned better than that.

Reaction Score
With equipment and furniture will be 40M. Should be first class and will help with recruiting next year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've been reading about other schools making bball practice facilities, and theya re all in the $15-$20m range. Is this thing that much nicer than anything out there, or are we talking about a Conn. premium? I know things are more expensive in the northeast, but the cost is 2x as much as other facilities.

Some of you know what's going on with this new building. Does it just have more bells & whistles?
Needed to make it larger than other facilities to hold the hardware of past and future successes.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
It'll be nice,just wish they had an arena like the KFC yum center here in louisville,id love to see something like it in downtown Hartford.

Reaction Score

Title IX I'm fairly sure only applies to scholarship money.

Reaction Score

No, it goes beyond. That's why the DoE requires a breakdown of expenses for training facilities, etc. They are broken down by gender.

Reaction Score
Isn't $33.3 million about double what some of the other top programs paid? Hopefully this means we will have the nicest practice facility in the country. Watch for boost in recruiting when this opens up in the summer

Reaction Score

Privately funded facilities should not be affected by Title IX. If you donate money to a University, than you should be able to specify its purpose. If there are restrictions due to title IX, than that is absurd in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Isn't $33.3 million about double what some of the other top programs paid? Hopefully this means we will have the nicest practice facility in the country. Watch for boost in recruiting when this opens up in the summer

The explanation above is that the UConn facility essentially has two equal size facilities next to each other that are attached. One for the men and one for the women. Other facilities just have one for the men and then other teams can use it when the men aren't. So this building is likely about twice as big as facilities built for just one team. Hence costing about twice as much. The men will not gain much of an advantage over other top programs who have $15-20 million facilities, but the women are gonna dominate recruiting on a scale that will be unfair. I doubt any other women's team will have their own $17 million facility built just for them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The men will not gain much of an advantage over other top programs who have $15-20 million facilities, but the women are gonna dominate recruiting on a scale that will be unfair. I doubt any other women's team will have their own $17 million facility built just for them.
I would say the men still have much to gain from the separate gym -- they have a gym 24/7 and don't have to worry about scheduling conflicts with the women. It's theirs -- their own. Not many other programs can say that.

If you build it, they will come.

Reaction Score
Privately funded facilities should not be affected by Title IX. If you donate money to a University, than you should be able to specify its purpose. If there are restrictions due to title IX, than that is absurd in my opinion.

An individual can donate money for a specific purpose - but then it is up to the university to make sure that subsequent money is raised from other sources - or added to budgets - to ensure something approaching equal opportunity. The alternative is for the university to turn down government funding of any kind and become entirely private, which would mean they could do whatever they want. But that isn't likely.

Just the way it is. The donations may be private, but the university using them isn't.

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas..._medium=referral&utm_source=post original url

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas..._medium=referral&utm_source=post original url
Norlander's intro makes it sound like we haven't even broken ground yet (he later states that we have; maybe he thought the story would be more interesting the way he worded it). Also, I'm pretty sure (even with the $200K coming from the University fund) that 0 tax payer dollars are contributing to the #1 basketball practice facility in the country.

Norlander is a moron. I can't believe he hails from this great state. He's not malicious like a Dana O'Neill or a Goodman, just usually ignorant.

Reaction Score
I would say the men still have much to gain from the separate gym -- they have a gym 24/7 and don't have to worry about scheduling conflicts with the women. It's theirs -- their own. Not many other programs can say that.

If you build it, they will come.

I was speaking of a recruiting advantage over the other top programs in the country. I have not seen all of the facilities. I have only seen tours of several of them, but it would appear they are comparable enough to UConns where it won't persuade a recruit to commit to UConn because of it. It would be awesome if my perception is wrong though and it ends up being a big recruiting advantage over a Duke or Florida. On the other hand, I have not seen any other practice facility specifically made for a womens basketball team. Other sports teams may use certain parts of the facilities when the basketball teams aren't, but the womens facility tailored to them is a MUCH bigger deal than a mens facility tailored to them. Both will benefit to some degree though.

Reaction Score
I was speaking of a recruiting advantage over the other top programs in the country. I have not seen all of the facilities. I have only seen tours of several of them, but it would appear they are comparable enough to UConns where it won't persuade a recruit to commit to UConn because of it. It would be awesome if my perception is wrong though and it ends up being a big recruiting advantage over a Duke or Florida. On the other hand, I have not seen any other practice facility specifically made for a womens basketball team. Other sports teams may use certain parts of the facilities when the basketball teams aren't, but the womens facility tailored to them is a MUCH bigger deal than a mens facility tailored to them. Both will benefit to some degree though.

It's not necessarily a recruiting advantage over other top programs, but it has been something that's been used against us on the recruiting trail (not having one). I think having a top 5 facility in the country will give us a big bump on the recruiting trail next year. It certainly gives us an advantage over every program in the Big Least.

Reaction Score
[quote="
#UConn board of trustees approves final budget for basketball training facility at $33.3 million. Will include a Hall of Fame.[/quote]

what will become of the Husky hall of fame at the Alumni Center?

Reaction Score
It's not necessarily a recruiting advantage over other top programs, but it has been something that's been used against us on the recruiting trail (not having one). I think having a top 5 facility in the country will give us a big bump on the recruiting trail next year. It certainly gives us an advantage over every program in the Big Least.
Exactly, while it won't give us an advantage over the handful of schools with similar facilities, we won't be losing kids to that anymore, which is equally important IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom