Final Minute vs. Tulane | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final Minute vs. Tulane

Reaction Score
Was he asked about it after the game. I was watching and you could his players we confused. I think everyone was confused but him.

He had to know within 5 seconds he had screwed up but then it was too late. Right?

Reaction Score
The in-bounds pass by Adams was to the wrong side of Vital. If Adams had thrown to Vital's left hand, it would have had to been called a foul as the player would have had to go through Vital to the ball. Because the pass was to Vitale's right hand, the defender hit Vitale and the ball pretty close to simultaneously.

But the entire Tulane comeback came off the missed one-and-one by Bouk. If he makes his fouls or even just one. We probably win by ten.

This isn't like pass interference. It's a foul either way.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...The turnover by us under our own hoop for a Tulane layup was one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen...

The lack of fouling made Steve Lappas seem insightful...

However, regarding the quoted hyperbole ;), you evidently weren't watching the Spurs/Celts about 20 minutes before tipoff. The Double T on Kemba and a 3rd on Brad Stevens were exponentially worse.

Reaction Score
Was a bit odd... if we miss the front end of a 1and1 & they hit a 3 and it's a 3pt game with maybe 10 seconds left.

Odds are slim to make up 6 points in that time frame but was strange not to foul at least once more.
UConn down 4 with 9 seconds at Pitt - you dont give up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hunter is a good coach and he has done a good job this year at Tulane
I find Lawson, while talented, to be a thug
I was rather amazed at what expired at the end of the game but it certainly could have bailed out UConn and DH - I felt he had the wrong guys on the court at the end of the game and should have made adjustments
But in the end - a win is a win and UConn really needed the win

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was shocked but happy, since I wanted to go home

9 PM weeknight games on campus are now officially a thing of the past, unless it's a big name opponent

C

Chief00

I was shocked but happy, since I wanted to go home

9 PM weeknight games on campus are now officially a thing of the past, unless it's a big name opponent
Thanks for attending the game. Chief has been listening and is considering resuming Chief Briefs after the WSU game, but a final decision hasn’t been made.

Reaction Score
Thanks for attending the game. Chief has been listening and is considering resuming Chief Briefs after the WSU game, but a final decision hasn’t been made.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Certainly he probably should have fouled. But I still want the rule changed to allow any team that is fouled to elect to inbound the ball rather than shoot free throws. Like declining a penalty in football.

Reaction Score
Certainly he probably should have fouled. But I still want the rule changed to allow any team that is fouled to elect to inbound the ball rather than shoot free throws. Like declining a penalty in football.

That is actually a GREAT idea.. The end of game fouling BS is painful to watch and many times a unrealistic approach for the loosing team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is actually a GREAT idea.. The end of game fouling BS is painful to watch and many times a unrealistic approach for the loosing team.

And going for steals on inbound plays is exciting and risky for the inbounding team. So it adds some interesting strategy. Do you shoot or not?

Reaction Score
Agreed on the first point, but it is not about creating a "realistic" chance to win. The goal is to change the odds from near 0% to some higher value, even if it's only 5%, 10%, whatever.

Reaction Score
It is baffling that Hunter didn't have them foul at least once. It would be interesting to hear his thought process on that. I heard an interview with Hunter before the game and he sounded like a very good guy and a very knowledgeable coach.

I gotta say, if Hurley did that I would have been livid. ALWAYS give your team a chance to win, if you can.

Reaction Score
Two possession game with 20+ seconds left. I feel like you absolutely have to foul there. If we miss the front end and they hit a quick 3, it's a one score game with plenty of time left on the clock. With how bad we were playing those last couple minutes, it's pretty easy to envision a path to a Tulane victory. Plus, what's the worst case scenario? Tulane loses by 8 instead of 6? Bizarre choice.

A big turning point at the end of the game was Gilbert trying to throw the lob to Akok with 2 minutes left. Needed to kill 30 seconds there, up by 9 or whatever. Live ball turnover with 20 seconds left on the shot clock was the absolute worst outcome for that possession.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. I couldn't believe they didn't call a foul there.

Then again Rideau did that to Gaffney at the end of the first half at USF and nothing was called there either.

Feels like the kind of "respect" we used to get in the late 80's from Burr, Higgins, and Valentine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn down 4 with 9 seconds at Pitt - you dont give up.

Possibly my favorite end of game in UConn history. El-Amin was such a fearless and confident guy that was the key to the first championship and got mercilessly insulted by those boorish Pitt fans the whole game but he showed them who they were messing with at the end.

VA Blue Dog

VA Blue Dog
Reaction Score
2003 OBE UCONN vs Miami UCONN up by 4, 4 sec left. Miami makes basket. Darius Rice steals inbound pass for Ben Gordon makes turnaround 3 pointer as horn sounds. Rice has 43. Gordon has 32. Most agonizing UCONN loss I can remember. Old Big East greatest conference ever!!

Reaction Score
Throughout the whole game or only in the last X minutes?

Reaction Score
2003 OBE UCONN vs Miami UCONN up by 4, 4 sec left. Miami makes basket. Darius Rice steals inbound pass for Ben Gordon makes turnaround 3 pointer as horn sounds. Rice has 43. Gordon has 32. Most agonizing UCONN loss I can remember. Old Big East greatest conference ever!!
Tell me about it. I drove 4 hours as we live across the state to get to that game and the ride home seened seemed like 12 hours while having to listen to local radio brag how Miami stole one from an overconfident UConn team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom