Final Four Games UH/Baylor & Gonzaga/UCLA | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Final Four Games UH/Baylor & Gonzaga/UCLA

Reaction Score
Not the same situation but ok
It should be treated the same whether its tied or youre up 3. If you put zero pressure on the ball you are literally letting them get a free shot off lol

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't really get the Cronin hate. We had our share of wins against him. He definitely got the best of us as our program decayed into mid-major-minus basketball. Other than that we did fine.

To me he's just some ill-behaved @hole screaming for the other team. Not all that much different than the ill-behaved @hole on our sideline screaming for our team.
yeah I don't get the Cronin hate either. UConn losing to him in 2017-2019 had a lot to do with how bad UConn was-they were losing to everybody and had so many 20 pts-plus losses.

Reaction Score
Whether you look at # of seasons coached (18) or age (49), in both cases he's done better than JC at similar points in their careers.

Mick is basically where JC was after the 90 loss to Duke....He's just getting started. We'll find out if he has the hunger to be a hall of famer but his path is now clear.

Reaction Score
That UConn team could guard anyone when they needed to.
I think it would be a great game. Timme vs. Okafor. Suggs vs. Gordon. Denham, Rashad, Taliek, Boone vs. Kispert, Ayayi, Nemhard, and Watson. Great matchup. 15 point win? Come on.
That's not a crazy take, you told him he's wrong by showing Timme's #'s for the night. Timme is what makes them go, he gets like 20 points per game on 65% shooting. I think some forget or are too young to know how dominant Okafor was defensively, Timme would struggle mightily with him.
He said it would be a 15 point win because they wouldn't switch so Timme wouldn't get mismatches. You don't shut down a guy that skilled with no help and if you do help the shooters and cutters are so lethal. He has a 130 ORTG for the season (130!!!), 67% from 2. Can use both hands. To another comment, Timme is way better than Bogut was on offense. He shoots 10%+ better inside the arc. He doesn't take weak hook shots. He gets to the deep post with footwork and gets layups every time.

This UCLA team is the closest thing to UConn '11/'14. They beat good teams on the way to the F4. They shut down teams (Michigan was an offensive juggernaut in the early rounds and didn't get to 50 against UCLA). They made clutch shot after clutch shot with a guard playing out of his mind and carrying the team (juzang). And the Zags put up damn near 100 on them and ended them.

Colorado put up 1.34 points against Gtown before FSU held them to 0.82ppp. Then Michigan put up 1.12 points against that FSU defense. UCLA then held that Michigan team to 0.83ppp. And the Zags just hung 1.26ppp against that Bruins D. Call it the transitive property fallacy, but nobody has shut down this team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had Uconn winning 100-84 on the first try so I'm going with that case closed. There are no redos.

Reaction Score
Seeing that UCLA team pushed Gonzaga to the wire I wonder how 2004 Duke who had 5 NBA players on their team would do against this Zags team. Oklahoma State was very good that year as well, Gtech was more of a work man like team that year. Wouldve been a better title game uconn still wins though.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a great game. Timme vs. Okafor. Suggs vs. Gordon. Denham, Rashad, Taliek, Boone vs. Kispert, Ayayi, Nemhard, and Watson. Great matchup. 15 point win? Come on.

He said it would be a 15 point win because they wouldn't switch so Timme wouldn't get mismatches. You don't shut down a guy that skilled with no help and if you do help the shooters and cutters are so lethal. He has a 130 ORTG for the season (130!!!), 67% from 2. Can use both hands. To another comment, Timme is way better than Bogut was on offense. He shoots 10% better inside the arc. He doesn't take weak hook shots. He gets to the deep post with footwork and gets layups every time.

This UCLA team is the closest thing to UConn '11/'14. They beat good teams on the way to the F4. They shut down teams (Michigan was an offensive juggernaut in the early rounds and didn't get to 50 against UCLA). They made clutch shot after clutch shot. And the Zags put up damn near 100 on them.
I think Okafor would eat him up, he's one of the greatest defensive players in the history of college basketball. If he got in foul trouble it could be a different story but if no foul trouble Okafor would be on him the entire time and would eat him up. 2004 UConn would destroy 2011 and 2014 UConn.

Reaction Score
It should be treated the same whether its tied or youre up 3. If you put zero pressure on the ball you are literally letting them get a free shot off lol
Mick said he was trying to get their attention to trap ball as soon as Juzang made the layup but he told them all game to get back to stop the Zags from running so they were already running back and he couldn't get their attention in time.

Reaction Score
I think Okafor would eat him up, he's one of the greatest defensive players in the history of college basketball. If he got in foul trouble it could be a different story but if no foul trouble Okafor would be on him the entire time and would eat him up. 2004 UConn would destroy 2011 and 2014 UConn.
There's just no evidence of TImme getting eaten up. His worst game all year he went 7/15 from 2. His worst game of the year. Obviously I think Okafor is incredible. He's a top 3 player in program history. The best defensive player in program history. One of the best post defenders in college basketball history.

You can argue with his supporting cast in place, Timme is the best offensive big in the KenPom era. He has the highest KPOY for a big other than Kaminsky. You're just not shutting him down 1v1. He has 110 points on 64 shots in the tournament with 19 assists and 5 turnovers in 5 games. 110 points to 5 turnovers. 80% from FT line.

Reaction Score
There's just no evidence of TImme getting eaten up. His worst game all year he went 7/15 from 2. His worst game of the year. Obviously I think Okafor is incredible. He's a top 3 player in program history. The best defensive player in program history. One of the best post defenders in college basketball history.

You can argue with his supporting cast in place, Timme is the best offensive big in the KenPom era. He has the highest KPOY for a big other than Kaminsky. You're just not shutting him down 1v1. He has 110 points on 64 shots in the tournament with 19 assists and 5 turnovers in 5 games. 110 points to 5 turnovers. 80% from FT line.
Why do you keep saying no evidence? We're talking about a hypothetical. He's a very good offensive big man playing in a time where there are hardly any other big men. The hypothetical would have him going up against one of the greatest defensive big men in the history of college basketball, I think Okafor would eat him up.

Reaction Score
Timmie is a very smart player. His footwork is almost perfect. The refs also weren’t going to call a borderline foul to give him his 5th.
We have a guy who by senior year can be better.

Reaction Score

Problem with that analysis is that I’ve been telling everyone all year long that UCLA has 3 or 4 of the best mid range jump shooters in the nation- believe it or not that is where they want to take their shots- their comfort zone.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep saying no evidence? We're talking about a hypothetical. He's a very good offensive big man playing in a time where there are hardly any other big men. The hypothetical would have him going up against one of the greatest defensive big men in the history of college basketball, I think Okafor would eat him up.
I am happy Timme is the most efficient offensive player in the KenPom era or whatever. Please note that the guy plays with a foresome of guards who can all shoot & get whatever shots they want, whenever they want it. Most of Timme baskets are layups verse one on one & typically someone smaller than him because of man to man switches on defense. If you love him so much go take him in the lottery & see how that turns out.

Reaction Score
Suggs is ready for every moment- what a talent- what a tough kid- idk how anyone can criticize him- I hate Gonzaga- to me though Suggs is going to be a very good pro.
How do you feel now?
l

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
And I did it and got Gonzaga by 14 on my first try, so basically proves absolutely nothing. Though it's still a fun site

I did it 20 times- UConn won 17 out of 20 games- most of the wins were by 15 or more points- the three Gonzaga wins were by 6 points or fewer. The site actually seems pretty accurate. I think if they played- Gonzaga would have a about a 10 percent chance to win.

Reaction Score
And don't forget Charlie, Denham, and Uncle Hilty. Both UCLA and Gonzaga are on the short side. UCLA has Riley at 6'9" while everyone else is 6'6" or under. Zags have Timme at 6'10". I think 2004 UCONN defense creates a lot of problems.

1617543425184.png

Reaction Score
And don't forget Charlie, Denham, and Uncle Hilty. Both UCLA and Gonzaga are on the short side. UCLA has Riley at 6'9" while everyone else is 6'6" or under. Zags have Timme at 6'10". I think 2004 UCONN defense creates a lot of problems.

View attachment 66604
To be honest I think Riley 6 foot 7- 6 foot 8 tops.

Reaction Score
That's not a crazy take, you told him he's wrong by showing Timme's #'s for the night. Timme is what makes them go, he gets like 20 points per game on 65% shooting. I think some forget or are too young to know how dominant Okafor was defensively, Timme would struggle mightily with him.
The previous and later postings comparing UConn 2004 vs. Gonzaga 2021, are interesting comparisons between different teams from different eras.

Wonder if there are any computer games to simulate team skills vs. other team skills. In boxing, there has been at least one with a computer simulation of a fight between Rocky Marciano and Muhammed Ali.

Does something like that exist for basketball or baseball teams, or only for a one against one competition?

I suppose somebody will try to make a game like that for team sports unless there is already one out there. I guess the inventor would have to feed it player statistics and study the quickness and lateral moves of the players and transfer it into a game situation.

There are flight simulations over different terrains all over the globe.

Who knows?

Reaction Score
It’s clear some of y’all didn’t watch Emeka play. Did y’all see wat he did to Sheldon Williams while playin just half the game cause the refs tried to take him out? Timme wouldn’t even do anything with a college Sheldon Williams nevermind Mek. Something is wrong with some of y’all LOL

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agree. I don’t think people appreciate how much worse the talent is overall now. 2004 was an era when almost all the kids who would now go to the draft after freshman year stayed until junior year. All those old teams would destroy these teams. Next we will hear how Gonzaga would handle 1983 Houston with Olajuwon and Drexler. Timme would be very lucky to break double figures.

For people who don’t get this, imagine Zion was still at Duke.

Reaction Score
Agree. I don’t think people appreciate how much worse the talent is overall now. 2004 was an era when almost all the kids who would now go to the draft after freshman year stayed until junior year. All those old teams would destroy these teams. Next we will hear how Gonzaga would handle 1983 Houston with Olajuwon and Drexler. Timme would be very lucky to break double figures.

For people who don’t get this, imagine Zion was still at Duke.
In 2004, Zion never sets foot at Duke.

2004 isn't the 1990s. While there were still Jrs. and Srs taken in the lottery, 17 out of the 20 first round picks in 2004 were High Schoolers (8), Freshmen (2), Sophomores (1), or foreign (6).

Reaction Score
In 2004, Zion never sets foot at Duke.

2004 isn't the 1990s. While there were still Jrs. and Srs taken in the lottery, 17 out of the 20 first round picks in 2004 were High Schoolers (8), Freshmen (2), Sophomores (1), or foreign (6).
The point is if Okafor and Gordon played now they are leaving after their freshman year or sophomore year at the latest. Take it further back and you have teams like Houston, UNC, and Georgetown led by upperclassmen Akeem & Drexler, Jordan & Perkins, and Ewing & Williams. Those teams would bodyslam Gonzaga. It's just a different deal now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom