Final Four Appearances | The Boneyard

Final Four Appearances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has tied Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Syracuse, Arkansas, Houston with 6.

As of right now, UConn has 4 titles, the others combined have 6.

We broke our tie with Florida, Georgetown, Oklahoma, and Illinois. They have 3 combined, we have 4.

Reaction Score
I was going to look this up earlier but didn't have time, does anyone know how many schools have been to the final four under 3 different coaches?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was going to look this up earlier but didn't have time, does anyone know how many schools have been to the final four under 3 different coaches?

Not sure but Kentucky is one (Slick Rick, Tubby, Squid alone within a relatively short period).

Reaction Score
UNC did it in the same timeframe (12 years) too.
yeah there's also UCLA and Duke. Besides those 4 I wasn't sure if there was anyone else I was missing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

At a minimum, UCLA, UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Ohio St, Michigan, Louisville, Mich St, UConn.

Reaction Score
yeah there's also UCLA and Duke. Besides those 4 I wasn't sure if there was anyone else I was missing.
Kansas (Phog Allen, Dick Harp, Ted Owens, Larry Brown, Roy Williams, Bill Self). Actually... every coach they ever had since the NCAA started. :eek:

Indiana (McCracken, Knight, Davis)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A lot more than you think. UNC did it with 5 different coaches, UCLA with 4. Even Duke did 3.

Hopefully can come up with a definitive list, but so far Google has failed, other than a list of all coaches who've appeared at least once.

Reaction Score
UConn has tied Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Syracuse, Arkansas, Houston with 6.

As of right now, UConn has 4 titles, the others combined have 6.

We broke our tie with Florida, Georgetown, Oklahoma, and Illinois. They have 3 combined, we have 4.
BBB : Blue Blood Bitch

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Indiana has to have at least three, I imagine Kansas has at least four (and for the record, UNC has four).

Given sufficient time (and some sleep) I imagine I can come up with a few others.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
OK, here's what I came up with, going all the way back (too tired to do 64/68 fields only):

6 UCLA, UNC, Kansas
5 Kentucky
4 Arkansas, Oklahoma, Michigan
3 UConn, Duke, Michigan St, Indiana, Louisville, Utah, Ohio St, Villanova, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, NC State

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Indiana has to have at least three, I imagine Kansas has at least four (and for the record, UNC has four).
For the record: Williams, Smith, Guthridge, Davis, Carnevale, McGuire

Reaction Score
OK, here's what I came up with, going all the way back (too tired to do 64/68 fields only):

6 UCLA, UNC, Kansas
5 Kentucky
4 Arkansas, Oklahoma, Michigan
3 UConn, Duke, Michigan St, Indiana, Louisville, Utah, Ohio St, Villanova, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, NC State
Had to look it up - Nova is only 2. Rollie and Jay Wright. First one was the first year with 64 teams

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
3 Made the Final Four. The Howard Porter team in the late 60s had their trip vacated.
Man, I didn't even see that one (it was actually 1971). So I guess Nova had four coaches reach the FF, as Al Severance won the very first tourney in 1939.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Man, I didn't even see that one (it was actually 1971). So I guess Nova had four coaches reach the FF, as Al Severance won the very first tourney in 1939.
There were only 8 teams. Amazing.

It does say something that they were selected. They were 19-4 and beat Brown before getting beat by Ohio State.

Counting it as a Final Four is a little cheap, but so it goes. Not as bad as any team counting Helms or Premo-Porretta.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There were only 8 teams. Amazing.

It does say something that they were selected. They were 19-4 and beat Brown before getting beat by Ohio State.

Counting it as a Final Four is a little cheap, but so it goes. Not as bad as any team counting Helms or Premo-Porretta.
OK, so edited down to only schools having at least three coaches get to FF from 1985-present, we now have:

4 UNC
3 UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member