Final ESPN Recruiting Rankings (2019) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final ESPN Recruiting Rankings (2019)

Reaction Score
**hot take alert**

From my extensive film study of like a dozen highlight videos, I think Gaffney will significantly overachieve his ranking, Bouknight will significant underachieve his ranking, and Akok will have the best Bilas nickname of the three> He's dying to say "took many Akoks in the kitchen" I promise you.

Reaction Score
**hot take alert**

From my extensive film study of like a dozen highlight videos, I think Gaffney will significantly overachieve his ranking, Bouknight will significant underachieve his ranking, and Akok will have the best Bilas nickname of the three> He's dying to say "took many Akoks in the kitchen" I promise you.

Why do you think that about Bouknight?

I think Gaffney needs a year or two to be a high major starter. Huge potential with his hops though.

Akok will be an NBA player if he chooses to work hard.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do people saying Akok will start over Polley from day 1 due to defense not realize Polley routinely covered the other team’s best player this year?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You're the doc so you may understand better than me...not sure what your area of expertise is... but I've heard that Polley's issues with lateral speed stem from "no torso rigidity" and stiff hips. On top of just genetic factors and limited time in a good S&C program.

Not sure how much of that is able to be changed. Obviously the BBQ can.
You can improve your lateral quickness mainly by getting your weight off your heels and onto the balls of your feet, and improving leg strength so you can bend your knees more and lower your center of gravity. That takes leg strength. The best defenders get low, they don't stand stiff legged and tall. To move laterally from that position you have to first bend your knees and drop your center of gravity. You need to already be in that position.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a two inch taller version of Sid Wilson? I’m ok with that long term.
I just hope he works harder on his game than Sid appeared to during his redshirt year.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that so many here believe that Polley has zero room for growth. We have seen that Tyler Phommachanh can shoot from the arc, he has shown on occasion the ability to drive to the basket, he has also shown on occasion the ability to be a pretty good lock down defender. If he gets a little bigger and stronger that could translate into an extra rebound or two a game. Imagine if he impoves in all these areas, just a bit in each of these areas. That makes him a pretty darn good piece for Hurley to use.
People were still writing Carlton off in January of this year. Boneyard gonna Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A top-20 overall class with three players ranked in the top 100 is very promising after three losing seasons. It is more impressive when you consider how late Hurley began recruiting this class. These three alone aren't enough to elevate us back to elite status, and we clearly still have needs. But it's hard to be anything but optimistic about this group.

Reaction Score
tyler polley isn’t very good at basketball
I can’t wait for Polley to be our glue guy in 2 years off the bench and playing a huge role for us in the NCAA tournament.

He was forced into a huge role this year. He was a horrendous rebounder for his position, that’s been established. He struggled defending too at times. But he also hit some HUGE shots late in a game or two and proved to be a more than capable 3 point shooter (38% on over 4 attempts per game is very solid).

In the right role, at the right position, he’s a great player to have coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
You can improve your lateral quickness mainly by getting your weight off your heels and onto the balls of your feet, and improving leg strength so you can bend your knees more and lower your center of gravity. That takes leg strength. The best defenders get low, they don't stand stiff legged and tall. To move laterally from that position you have to first bend your knees and drop your center of gravity. You need to already be in that position.

I'm assuming polley isn't lazy but lacks the mobility to get and stay in his stance?

I've seen a lot of coaches, including myself, get on kids about STANCE STANCE STANCE when sometimes it's a physical barrier they need to overcome first... THEN get out of the habit of staying too upright.

Reaction Score
I can’t wait for Polley to be our glue guy in 2 years off the bench and playing a huge role for us in the NCAA tournament.

He was forced into a huge role this year. He was a horrendous rebounder for his position, that’s been established. He struggled defending too at times. But he also hit some HUGE shots late in a game or two and proved to be a more than capable 3 point shooter (38% on over 4 attempts per game is very solid).

In the right role, at the right position, he’s a great player to have coming off the bench.
He can absolutely be effective--and even very good--in the right role. People were pretty happy we landed him because they saw him as part of a larger roster (Diallo-Bamba, for instance). No one expected him to have to play as much as he did his first two years.

PF Tyler Polley (UConn Offer)

Tyler Polley commits to UConn!

Reaction Score
I think guys who are saying this haven't really watched Akok play, practice, or work out very much. Remember: Last April people on this board were hoping we backed off him because he looked TERRIBLE. I was one of them. He had some games in July that brought him back into the national spotlight because he dominated elite competition.

He does not have everything you want in a modern PF. His shot is inconsistent, and he's just barely cracking 200lbs. His length, height, and perimeter game relative to his size are what make him an NBA prospect. He'll probably be listed at 6'10 (some are pushing for 6'11 in the program) by next season. His goal is to be at 220lbs by next season (playing a bit lower) and 230lbs ish by his sophomore year. He has been good about his diet and getting in with Sal so far. Not sure about his current weight.

He is WILDLY inconsistent. Even in practice. He has some elite qualities (shot blocking, length, 3 pt shot sometimes), and some things he is just awful at (IQ, handle, vision, inconsistent motor). Expect games where he looks like a 5* stud bound for the league, and others where Tyler Polley is the clear #1 option and Akok can't touch the floor.

Some of his inconsistency is mental. Other is from some knee issues he's clearing up (nothing major). But a lot is just skill gaps that certain guys are able to exploit. An athletic, tough power forward is going to obliterate akok right now.

I hope I am wrong and he'll be a 15/8/3 guy all year long, but I don't see it. He will end up that player for us some day though. But there aren't many people with more valid info on this kid than me on the 'yard.

I'm sorry, but what makes you have so much "valid info?" Have you watched every single practice? No need to speculate without fact.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but what makes you have so much "valid info?" Have you watched every single practice? No need to speculate without fact.

What makes you think I was speculating? I'm not. I am 100% sure about his strength program and consistency.

This isn't a science experiment. Burden of proof isn't a thing on the yard, lol. A lot of the info is publically available. EYBL and PSA stats for example. I can also say that I've seen him play maybe 6-8x in person, been to 2 practices, and spoken to aau and hs coaches. The majority of my info id rather not mention where it comes from.

Surprised you're so critical when what I'm saying isn't really that unreasonable. He's a super high potential player that is wildly inconsistent. What's the problem with that?

A few guys on here know where my info is from. PM me if you're interested enough to bother.

Reaction Score
I Say this having never watched akok play. But Can someone who has please clarify if he is or is not ater majok reincarnated? 6 foot 10 bean pole Sudanese shot blocking power forward with tons of hype before his UConn premiere... does this end better or worse?

Reaction Score
I Say this having never watched akok play. But Can someone who has please clarify if he is or is not ater majok reincarnated? 6 foot 10 bean pole Sudanese shot blocking power forward with tons of hype before his UConn premiere... does this end better or worse?
Hate

Reaction Score

Should be better. He's had a tough upbringing but he's not a lazy headcase.

Reaction Score
A top-20 overall class with three players ranked in the top 100 is very promising after three losing seasons. It is more impressive when you consider how late Hurley began recruiting this class. These three alone aren't enough to elevate us back to elite status, and we clearly still have needs. But it's hard to be anything but optimistic about this group.
And UConn plays in a conference where only 1 other team is now getting multiple top 100 recruits. All it will take is some good coaching and development and there's no reason UConn can't be at or near the top of the AAC. Which is a very good first step to getting back to being elite. Start winning like that and some top 25 recruits will come. It's a multiple step process to getting back to being elite.

Reaction Score
I remember as im sure many of you do also about all the complaints about the incoming class and how we got "the other Lamb" and that turned out to be one of our best classes. Im not huge on recruiting I like to see what guys can do when they get on the court.

Reaction Score
D9F4AA21-7526-43B7-9B17-35478FA8EF58.jpeg

Bouknight and Springs (2020) balling together. More help on the way soon!

Reaction Score
Polley seems to have a problem with nervousness under the bright lights. Just my take.

He's played in 0 NCAA tournament games.. I don't think he's ever been under the bright lights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom