Final ESPN Recruiting Rankings (2019) | The Boneyard

Final ESPN Recruiting Rankings (2019)

Reaction Score
Ranked 18 with one more scholarship to give. I know recruiting rankings can be random, but I cant believe Gaffney is 91. Im no expert, but from everything I see and read about him, he should be a top 50 recruit instead of borderline top 100. I think this maybe one of those situations where if Gaffney signed with Duke or Kentucky, he would be ranked 30 instead of 91.

Reaction Score
Pretty Significant drop off for Akok as well. I'm assuming this is because he enrolled early?

Reaction Score
Just a thought...ranked 59, 65, 91. This is the range where they can all end up great. Akok dropped probably because not playing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If akok committed to Kentucky he'd be top 20 easily. He has everything you want in an NBA PF for today's game. Hard to believe he's fallen.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Akok has literally only fallen because he enrolled early. If he played the whole high school season at PSA he would still be a Top 35 ranked player

Reaction Score
Akok has literally only fallen because he enrolled early. If he played the whole high school season at PSA he would still be a Top 35 ranked player

If akok committed to Kentucky he'd be top 20 easily. He has everything you want in an NBA PF for today's game. Hard to believe he's fallen.

I think guys who are saying this haven't really watched Akok play, practice, or work out very much. Remember: Last April people on this board were hoping we backed off him because he looked TERRIBLE. I was one of them. He had some games in July that brought him back into the national spotlight because he dominated elite competition.

He does not have everything you want in a modern PF. His shot is inconsistent, and he's just barely cracking 200lbs. His length, height, and perimeter game relative to his size are what make him an NBA prospect. He'll probably be listed at 6'10 (some are pushing for 6'11 in the program) by next season. His goal is to be at 220lbs by next season (playing a bit lower) and 230lbs ish by his sophomore year. He has been good about his diet and getting in with Sal so far. Not sure about his current weight.

He is WILDLY inconsistent. Even in practice. He has some elite qualities (shot blocking, length, 3 pt shot sometimes), and some things he is just awful at (IQ, handle, vision, inconsistent motor). Expect games where he looks like a 5* stud bound for the league, and others where Tyler Polley is the clear #1 option and Akok can't touch the floor.

Some of his inconsistency is mental. Other is from some knee issues he's clearing up (nothing major). But a lot is just skill gaps that certain guys are able to exploit. An athletic, tough power forward is going to obliterate akok right now.

I hope I am wrong and he'll be a 15/8/3 guy all year long, but I don't see it. He will end up that player for us some day though. But there aren't many people with more valid info on this kid than me on the 'yard.

Reaction Score
Bragging about rankings is like BC fans bragging about their conference.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Within any top 100 there will be those that fail to live up to the billing, those that match expectations, and those that exceed them. There are those that are unranked who turn out to be serious players. And sometimes you don't even know those answers until year 2, or 3, or 4. Rankings are just opinions, they're not handed down on stone tablets.

Reaction Score
I think guys who are saying this haven't really watched Akok play, practice, or work out very much. Remember: Last April people on this board were hoping we backed off him because he looked TERRIBLE. I was one of them. He had some games in July that brought him back into the national spotlight because he dominated elite competition.

He does not have everything you want in a modern PF. His shot is inconsistent, and he's just barely cracking 200lbs. His length, height, and perimeter game relative to his size are what make him an NBA prospect. He'll probably be listed at 6'10 (some are pushing for 6'11 in the program) by next season. His goal is to be at 220lbs by next season (playing a bit lower) and 230lbs ish by his sophomore year. He has been good about his diet and getting in with Sal so far. Not sure about his current weight.

He is WILDLY inconsistent. Even in practice. He has some elite qualities (shot blocking, length, 3 pt shot sometimes), and some things he is just awful at (IQ, handle, vision, inconsistent motor). Expect games where he looks like a 5* stud bound for the league, and others where Tyler Polley is the clear #1 option and Akok can't touch the floor.

Some of his inconsistency is mental. Other is from some knee issues he's clearing up (nothing major). But a lot is just skill gaps that certain guys are able to exploit. An athletic, tough power forward is going to obliterate akok right now.

I hope I am wrong and he'll be a 15/8/3 guy all year long, but I don't see it. He will end up that player for us some day though. But there aren't many people with more valid info on this kid than me on the 'yard.

Sounds like a two inch taller version of Sid Wilson? I’m ok with that long term.

Reaction Score
Let them sleep on our guys. Doesn't change a thing. It will only make it more impressive when we rise to the top with them..

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You could be right, but my mind will blown if Polley ever starts over him. His defensive impact alone should ensure him a starting role. Obviously we have to hope he gains some weight before next season, but I definitely think you're underselling his talent.

Reaction Score
You could be right, but my mind will blown if Polley ever starts over him. His defensive impact alone should ensure him a starting role. Obviously we have to hope he gains some weight before next season, but I definitely think you're underselling his talent.

Defense will get him minutes from day 1.

I don't see how saying he's inconsistent undersells his talent. I think he has sky high potential that I know isn't being met.

How many times have you seen him play?

Reaction Score
It's interesting that so many here believe that Polley has zero room for growth. We have seen that Tyler Phommachanh can shoot from the arc, he has shown on occasion the ability to drive to the basket, he has also shown on occasion the ability to be a pretty good lock down defender. If he gets a little bigger and stronger that could translate into an extra rebound or two a game. Imagine if he impoves in all these areas, just a bit in each of these areas. That makes him a pretty darn good piece for Hurley to use.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's interesting that so many here believe that Polley has zero room for growth. We have seen that Tyler Phommachanh can shoot from the arc, he has shown on occasion the ability to drive to the basket, he has also shown on occasion the ability to be a pretty good lock down defender. If he gets a little bigger and stronger that could translate into an extra rebound or two a game. Imagine if he impoves in all these areas, just a bit in each of these areas. That makes him a pretty darn good piece for Hurley to use.
I think Polley lacks lateral quickness and aggressiveness. He also needs to be stronger finishing at the basket. These are things he is fully capable of improving. He did a great job covering some tough players during the year, like McDuffie from Wichita.

If I had to bet right now, I believe he will be the starting 4 early in the season, mainly because of his shooting and familiarity with the college game and Hurley's system, particularly on defense. Akok may supplant him by mid-season as he becomes more accustomed to the speed of the game at this next level and his defensive rotations, provided he can demonstrate adequate outside shooting..

Reaction Score
I think Polley lacks lateral quickness and aggressiveness. He also needs to be stronger finishing at the basket. These are things he is fully capable of improving. He did a great job covering some tough players during the year, like McDuffie from Wichita.

If I had to bet right now, I believe he will be the starting 4 early in the season, mainly because of his shooting and familiarity with the college game and Hurley's system, particularly on defense. Akok may supplant him by mid-season as he becomes more accustomed to the speed of the game at this next level and his defensive rotations, provided he can demonstrate adequate outside shooting..

You're the doc so you may understand better than me...not sure what your area of expertise is... but I've heard that Polley's issues with lateral speed stem from "no torso rigidity" and stiff hips. On top of just genetic factors and limited time in a good S&C program.

Not sure how much of that is able to be changed. Obviously the BBIQ can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom