Final AAC season | The Boneyard

Final AAC season

Reaction Score
I am glad to see the end of UCONN’s AAC experience. I got no joy in watching the ladies win all games with little or no competition. As I have noted in the past, this did not help the team to prepare for the top tier teams. If anything it gave them a false sense of how good they were. Since both Geno and I are getting older, I would love to see the team reach the finals soon. With only one true post player on the team it will be a challenge this year. We can only hope that Olivia can stay healthy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am glad to see the end of UCONN’s AAC experience. I got no joy in watching the ladies win all games with little or no competition. As I have noted in the past, this did not help the team to prepare for the top tier teams. If anything it gave them a false sense of how good they were. Since both Geno and I are getting older, I would love to see the team reach the finals soon. With only one true post player on the team it will be a challenge this year. We can only hope that Olivia can stay healthy.
I wonder if they had a "false sense" after winning NCAA championships in 13-14, 14-15, and 15-16 seasons? Head bang

Reaction Score
I wonder if they had a "false sense" after winning NCAA championships in 13-14, 14-15, and 15-16 seasons? Head bang
Those were the Stewie years... everybody knows except you that I was not referring to those years

Reaction Score
BYE! Sorry but i really tried to have faith in that conference. I think we all did. It was just awful.

Heeelllloooooo Big East! We missed you.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Quiet as it’s kept, the Big East won’t be that much of a challenge either. It’s not the old Big East.

Agreed Dee. UConn needed to get out of the American. It was never a good fit. They were out of place in that conference.

The AAC is a mid-major conference comprised of mid-majors (save UConn). Look at the top 15 rankings. UConn is the only program NOT in a P5 conference.

Since they couldn’t gain entry into the ACC or SEC, the NBE is the next best option. It was time. The administration finally came to that realization, and acted accordingly, realizing that an invitation from a P-5 would not be forthcoming in the foreseeable future.

You’ve got to get in where you fit in. UConn should be the best team in the NBE on day one because of their talent and depth, not necessarily because the conference teams are inferior. Some posters suggest that BE teams are a step up from AAC teams, but only slightly.

Last year, Marquette, DePaul and Butler were top tier teams in the BE. Villanova and Georgetown were .500 teams, while Providence, Creighton, Seaton Hall, St. Johns' and Xavier rounded out the bottom tier of the standings.

I'm hoping that at the very least, BE teams will push back against UConn harder and more often than most AAC teams did. We want to see UConn to win, but it would be nice to see them "challenged" more.

I look forward to conference play next year. It will be fun to go around the league the first time and see (and get a feel for) all of our new conference members.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fans should speak for themselves and not for the players. Maybe playing in the AAC gave **some fans** a false sense. But I'll bet the house that not one person in UConn's program, from the coaching staff to the players on through to the water wipers, ever took any team lightly.

Sometimes a team loses because they don't play well enough that day. It happens to teams from good conferences. It also happens to teams from bad conferences. Blaming a postseason loss on the conference schedule is a particularly lazy form of post hoc fallacy.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the Northeast isn’t home to many major sports schools, conference members or not. UConn’s other sports aren’t attractive to major schools in Big Ten or Big 12. The ACC, not the Big East, was their best opportunity. As long as UConn schedules out of conference games with Tennessee, Louisville, South Carolina, Norte Dame, Baylor, and Stanford I shouldn’t worry about a lack of competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess that I am in the minority on my love for the AAC. I like when a new conference is developed and you get to build that conference into a power house. Folks forget how weak the original (1979-1982 )Big East was. Slowly that conference took off, well for the men's side. For the ladies, those of us that grew up trying to watch women's basketball games in the 80s, we know the real story. Bittersweet moment. But I guess it is always about the Benjamins in the end.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Quiet as it’s kept, the Big East won’t be that much of a challenge either. It’s not the old Big East.
I am bemused that yes, while the Big East is a slight step up from the AAC, it's not like DePaul, Villanova and Marquette (now with a new coach and a young team) will really challenge UConn any more than USF or UCF. When was the last time any of the current BE schools made the Sweet 16 in consecutive years, never mind on a yearly basis to challenge anyone, never mind UConn. Look, I felt USF was always committed to WCBB and if not for devastating injuries this past year, they had a really good squad capable of making a run. UCF is on the upswing and is probably better than any other BE school. Houston, Cincinnati and SMU have all made renewed commitments to WCBB so it would not surprise me to see them improve. Besides DePaul, who annually really has shown anything from the Big East foes? St. John's has fallen a bit and no other schools look all that promising.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I guess that I am in the minority on my love for the AAC. I like when a new conference is developed and you get to build that conference into a power house. Folks forget how weak the original (1979-1982 )Big East was. Slowly that conference took off, well for the men's side. For the ladies, those of us that grew up trying to watch women's basketball games in the 80s, we know the real story. Bittersweet moment. But I guess it is always about the Benjamins in the end.

I'll miss the excuse to travel to New Orleans for the Tulane game, especially when it was near Mardi Gras season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regardless The Big east is not the old Big East, it's still sounds better than AAC.

Reaction Score
What is forgotten is how much Uconn elevated the strength level of the ACC. I am sure it helped them in recruiting. Uconn will do the same to the Big East except that conference is already better than the teams in the ACC were before Uconns presence elevated them. The Big Easts starting basement is much higher than the ACC could ever have become in the near future. It will certainly help the teams in the Big East with their recruiting as well and that should ultimately strengthen the entire league.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What is forgotten is how much Uconn elevated the strength level of the ACC. I am sure it helped them in recruiting. Uconn will do the same to the Big East except that conference is already better than the teams in the ACC were before Uconns presence elevated them. The Big Easts starting basement is much higher than the ACC could ever have become in the near future. It will certainly help the teams in the Big East with their recruiting as well and that should ultimately strengthen the entire league.
I believe that UConn is in the AAC and not the ACC. If we were in the ACC it would be a step down and not a step up.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Regardless The Big east is not the old Big East, it's still sounds better than AAC.

One thing going to the BigEast will do, the confusion between the AAC and the ACC may come to an end. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, UConn did elevate the strength of the ACC. Before they were in the ACC, ND was in the Big East with Uconn and their rivalry elevated the image of ND considerably. Also, many teams from the ACC play Uconn and that certainly helped their RPI and reputations as well.

Well you have to admit it was a nice attempt., Well no! Actually it was really a p!ss poor attempt at saving face for a mistake in my post. I really could not think of any way I could spin my remark of the Big Easts basement being higher than the ACC future. Well perhaps with respect to their collective teams' elevations above sea level. :D Alas, nothing lleft to do but join in the laughter with respect to my mistake.:oops:

Reaction Score
Well, UConn did elevate the strength of the ACC. Before they were in the ACC, ND was in the Big East with Uconn and their rivalry elevated the image of ND considerably. Also, many teams from the ACC play Uconn and that certainly helped their RPI and reputations as well.

Well you have to admit it was a nice attempt., Well no! Actually it was really a p!ss poor attempt at saving face for a mistake in my post. I really could not think of any way I could spin my remark of the Big Easts basement being higher than the ACC future. Well perhaps with respect to their collective teams' elevations above sea level. :D Alas, nothing lleft to do but join in the laughter with respect to my mistake.:oops:

The easy way out would have been to say, my "auto-correct" changed it to ACC. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom