Final 12 selected for 16U team! | The Boneyard

Final 12 selected for 16U team!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
2017 USA Women’s U16 National Team Named

The link is to USABasketball's site and they have picked their final 12.
Best of luck in qualifying for the 17U World Champoionships next summer.
Top 4 in this qualifying event make it....should not be a problem.

Lots of new names [to me anyway]. Especially delighted that Samantha, Paige
and 'local' Aliyah Boston made it.

Go USA!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There certainly isn't a guarantee that these kids will make the 17U World Championship roster next summer but I would think
they have an inside track... at minimum. I assume that Carla Berube would be in a similar position to be the head coach next summer
where the talent will be much better.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There certainly isn't a guarantee that these kids will make the 17U World Championship roster next summer but I would think
they have an inside track... at minimum. I assume that Carla Berube would be in a similar position to be the head coach next summer
where the talent will be much better.
Unless something goes terribly wrong, USA uses the same coach for the two year U16/U17 team and last year was the first time that they had a 50+% turnover in the roster from U16 to U17. Usually they may replace one or two, max three of the 12 based on injury, illness, or 'late bloomer' outplaying a returning player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Posting this here for this who haven't ventured into the U16 General Thread.

Very detailed look at the trials from PBR's Shane Laflin.. Lots of info on what drills were done and how things were processed. He also profiles the final 18 players. Below are the UConn-connected players.

CELESTE TAYLOR – (2019 NY) Prototypical 2 guard; has a brilliant fundamental base – uses jabs & shots fakes very well to get to her 1 or 2 bounce pull up jumper. The 3 ball is nice; she is an explosive finisher at the rim and can finish in a variety of ways. She is economical in the way she uses her dribbles – never pounding that thing too much. Great feel for the game. (Invitee)

KYLEE WATSON – (2020 NJ) Workhorse! Her footwork in and around the paint is A1. She seals extremely well and feels the defense and counters very well. She has nice face up game. She is a good passer and is well aware of spacing and placement on the floor. A couple of times she got a long rebound, pushed the ball with impressive speed and made great decisions. (Invitee)

MADDIE BURKE – (2020 PA) SHOOTER! She has a great frame to be a wonderful shooter for a long time. There is a perfection to her release that leads to really crisp makes; she showed a bit of shake off the bounce as well. She has a bit of Katie Smith (Ohio State/WNBA) to her game – she plays very hard and is good on the glass. Wonderful fundamental foundation to her game. (Invitee)

ZIA COOKE – (2019 OH) Electric with the rock!! She is quick, fast, athletic… all of that. She stood out from Day 1 to Day 4. This PG can dance with that thing.. She knows how to create angles in small space to shake her defender to score or create for teammates. She showed a nice 3 ball, pull up, and finishing at the rim. She competed defensively and always put pressure on the other team with ball pressure or pushing the ball down the floor. She showed nice leadership attributes as well. Has some Tyler Scaife/Kelsey Mitchell/Russell Westbrook elements to her game. (Invitee)

AZZI FUDD – (2021 VA) Eye opening young guard. She is poised well beyond her years. She is physically strong and had no problem competing with players older than her. Her eyes are up and she distributes the ball and controls the tempo of games by leading her team. She has a nice pull up – elevation and high release. She is going to be fun to continue to watch. (Applicant Athlete)

HALEY JONES – (2019 CA) “Swiss Army Knife” type of game; She is a very good all around basketball player that can truly play positions 2-4 because she has the skill and IQ to do so. She understands flow, reads the floor so well, and can score in a variety of ways. She got on the glass well and can rebound and lead the break or sprint the lane and get ahead of the break. I’m a big fan.. (Invitee)

ALIYAH BOSTON – (2019 MA) Major post presence. Had an impressive showing last year at U17’s and did not disappoint this year. She has true back to the basket game and a nice touch in finishing from the HP area and just outside the paint. Strong and powerful athlete who is locked in and competitive – very reliable!! (Invitee)

SAM BRUNELLE – (2019 VA) The vet! By making last year’s team, Brunelle opened eyes all over the world to her talent. She is as fundamentally sound as they come – range, vision, handle, post game, perimeter game. She looks to be in great shape and showed leadership qualities. She is going to be a weapon in their system and will be able to play multiple spots for Team USA. (Invitee)

PAIGE BUECKERS – (2020 MN) Hooper!! She has a wonderful feel for the game and can dance a bit with the rock. She is a good shooter with PG skills that make her a threat every time she touches the ball. Defensively she uses her anticipation skills, quickness, and length to get to the right spots to disrupt her opponents – she got a ton of tips and steals. She is no stranger to the gym – she can play! (Invitee)

2017 U16 USA Basketball Trials

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to the young ladies who made the team. So happy for Carla that she's coaching the team. I will be really curious to see how they perform and see if she's able to get them to play well as a team. Didn't one of the recent USA teams fail to win the gold medal? maybe the 19U team? I forget. Hopefully Carla and her team takes home the gold!!

Reaction Score
DBV-MzXUAAA_EZ2.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Didn't one of the recent USA teams fail to win the gold medal? maybe the 19U team? I forget. Hopefully Carla and her team takes home the gold!!

Last year's U17 team won bronze.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wow, I'm pretty sure we're recruiting every single one of those players... I know for sure that we've offered Brunelle, Cooke, Taylor, Jones and Boston.. and we're looking at Fudd and Bueckers.

*gasp*..... is Walz our new assistant coach!?!?!?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Glad to see Baylor commit, Jordyn Oliver, make the squad. She is going to be a good addition to the team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looking at that picture, I'm looking at 12 ballers. A very formidable looking group. I'd like to think that at least two of these ladies will wind up wearing a UConn uniform, the question is, which two? :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at that picture, I'm looking at 12 ballers. A very formidable looking group. I'd like to think that at least two of these ladies will wind up wearing a UConn uniform, the question is, which two? :rolleyes:
At least #11 and #12. :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After reading the detail peeks that Sluconn provided, I want all of them. :D Whatever two players that Geno covets the most, if we get them, I'm happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom