Figured Out Why Women Play Basketball | The Boneyard

Figured Out Why Women Play Basketball

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
OBTW, it was Teddy Roosevelt in 1901 who used the phrase "speak softy and carry a big stick" to describe his foreign policy in a speech 2 weeks before his election. He later attributed it to West African Proverb. Many have looked and none have found any evidence of that origin. Could be TR was just having fun or he wanted to give his foriegn policy phrase folk wisdom shine.

Reaction Score
OBTW, it was Teddy Roosevelt in 1901 who used the phrase "speak softy and carry a big stick" to describe his foreign policy in a speech 2 weeks before his election. He later attributed it to West African Proverb. Many have looked and none have found any evidence of that origin. Could be TR was just having fun or he wanted to give his foriegn policy phrase folk wisdom shine.
If he indeed it it in 1901, it would be two weeks before his inauguration. That quote was known by every school child in the country in the 1950s.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If he indeed it it in 1901, it would be two weeks before his inauguration. That quote was known by every school child in the country in the 1950s.
I think Teddy became president in September of 1901, upon the death of McKinley. But "The Phrase Finder" claims that Teddy wrote the speak softly and carry a big stick in a letter he wrote to Henry L. Sprauge in January of 1900. I am not sure of the legitimacy of his claim that he garnered it from a West African proverb, but Teddy reportedly made that assignation. And I like the shoes too!

Reaction Score
Amen brother, amen. For more than 1/2 century we knew he spoke it.

Reaction Score
Sir are you implying that Politicians may not always speak the truth????

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sir are you implying that Politicians may not always speak the truth????

Reaction Score
The reasons that woman play basketball are as varied as the women themselves are. Camaraderie, competition, the opportunity to advance themselves, because the parents ‘said so’ or because it might help a college application are just a few. For the very talented and hard-working it might be because they can earn a college scholarship. I doubt very much for any of them that it is because of the shoes. I know this post was hopefully meant in jest, but it would be hard to take for teenager reading this board.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
See, I told you. It's the shoes!!

I rest my case your honor. ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
These days it's "speak softly and carry a pink murse"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online