Fifth Starter | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fifth Starter

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
CW’s ceiling is in the clouds.
I was thinking the other day about the notion/reminder put out a while back (quite possibly by you) that she was considered by some to be the best HS player in the country her junior year.

I also often think of your assessment of her as being a combo of Durr and Arike. That would be sweet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was thinking the other day about the notion/reminder put out a while back (quite possibly by you) that she was considered by some to be the best HS player in the country her junior year.

I also often think of your assessment of her as being a combo of Durr and Arike. That would be sweet.
She’s very, very good. Yeah, some people thought she was the best high school player in the nation when she was a junior. That obviously meant as good as Megan, Westbrook, Carter, et al.

She’s a lefty with a good shot like Durr (or Sims).

She’s aggressive and willing to take the big shot like Ogunbowale.

She’s strong, fearless, and confident like Taurasi.

She’s ambidextrous and has world-class moves like James Harden. Just think of her hairstyle as an inverted beard. ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I love this time of year when so many posters think the freshmen are going to fix all our problems. Touly starts Mikayla and Kyla are first off the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She’s very, very good. Yeah, some people thought she was the best high school player in the nation when she was a junior. That obviously meant as good as Megan, Westbrook, Carter, et al.

She’s a lefty with a good shot like Durr (or Sims).

She’s aggressive and willing to take the big shot like Ogunbowale.

She’s strong, fearless, and confident like Taurasi.

She’s ambidextrous and has world-class moves like James Harden. Just think of her hairstyle as an inverted beard. ;)

An inverted beard..........good one Milford. lol I like it. She'll be worth the price of admission, and worth tuning in to see on TV.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think BC is a nice player. I think CW has a much higher ceiling and may be a dominate impact player. I want that player on the court. If CW is that type of player come years end then I’m extremely happy. I don’t think that takes away from why Geno brought BC into the program.
I predicted BC as this years 5th starter when last years season ended and I will stick to my prediction.

Only time will tell

I will be interested to read the thoughts and comments about CW this time next year, and how the incoming freshmen are going to come to the rescue to save the day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I will be interested to read the thoughts and comments about CW this time next year, and how the incoming freshmen are going to come to the rescue to save the day.
I have confidence in CW. She’ll be a dominant player.

In terms of next year’s frosh, we’ll be looking to replace about 5,000 career points from Lou and Pheesa. So they have big shoes to fill. But the list of recruits is full of studs. If we get 3 or more of them, I like our chances.

Reaction Score

I know it sound like a monday morning QB but for whatever reason I was not high on MW. Now I say that cause I didn't like what i saw in all star games( Yes I agree a totally stupid thing to do and say) and a few games I saw online.. I feel very much opposite on CW, I think she's going to be solid early, and not go through the same Camp Geno day-mare last years Frosh went thru. I don't even want to think about life after Lou and Pheese. I think I know whom we are recruiting and hope we land those ladies. Either way its not going to be like the DT, BS days.. Those days are over...

Reaction Score
I think it is between CW and ONO. Remember Geno started Kia at her first year?
I maybe completely off base but I think ONO is a bit of a project coming into her Frosh year. Regarding Kia I tend to think Guards are better able to start quicker, plus didn't Kia have a bit more experience..... I feel ONO may need to put on some weight, get use to the speed of the college game etc. I would also assume that BC has to be more equipped to start than ONO. I mean, she has played so many more college games, knows UCONN'S system etc. ONO probably needs a map to get to the student union. While I think she will be a solid player and perhaps a future starter, I just don't see it this year.. Again I can be 10000% wrong...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Perhaps? If ONO is not a future starter, Geno never won a basketball game.
I reacted the same way. Barring injury, Olivia WILL be a starter at UConn. It may be in her second year. It could take even longer. I think it will be in November or December 2018.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I maybe completely off base but I think ONO is a bit of a project coming into her Frosh year. Regarding Kia I tend to think Guards are better able to start quicker, plus didn't Kia have a bit more experience..... I feel ONO may need to put on some weight, get use to the speed of the college game etc. I would also assume that BC has to be more equipped to start than ONO. I mean, she has played so many more college games, knows UCONN'S system etc. ONO probably needs a map to get to the student union. While I think she will be a solid player and perhaps a future starter, I just don't see it this year.. Again I can be 10000% wrong...

Just remember that not so long ago, Geno started two frosh - Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley. That turned out pretty darn good for UConn. Geno has hinted that CW and ONO might be the next two in the Dolson/ Hartley mold.

BTW - most incoming post players are projects. That's nothing new.

Reaction Score
Just remember that not so long ago, Geno started two frosh - Stefanie Dolson and Bria Hartley. That turned out pretty darn good for UConn. Geno has hinted that CW and ONO might be the next two in the Dolson/ Hartley mold.

BTW - most incoming post players are projects. That's nothing new.

If ONO starts from day one or close to that I think thats fantastic. It means she has grasped the system and is more ready to play than BC AND KI.. I think thats a tough feat, even if ONO has an ultimate higher ceiling. I say all the luck to ONO, I would never pigeon hole her or say she can't do something.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I reacted the same way. Barring injury, Olivia WILL be a starter at UConn. It may be in her second year. It could take even longer. I think it will be in November or December 2018.

I wholeheartedly agree 100% with the first part of your comment. That's an easy one. The second part, maybe. I can't see that far ahead to say who's going to be the 5th starter right now.

There are several viable candidates. One of them will separate themselves from the pack once official practice begins, and will "earn" the promotion. It could very well be a player we're not giving any consideration to at this time. Where's the resident seer when you need him?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If ONO starts from day one or close to that I think thats fantastic. It means she has grasped the system and is more ready to play than BC AND KI.. I think thats a tough feat, even if ONO has an ultimate higher ceiling. I say all the luck to ONO, I would never pigeon hole her or say she can't do something.
Olivia is Geno's third bite at the apple to integrate some much needed size into the lineup and have that size ready to contribute by tournament time. Bite one was Natalie Butler. Bite two was Azura. Bite three will be Batouly or Oliva. UCONN has games against ND ( Turner & Shepard) and Baylor ( Cox & Brown) and potential tournament matchups with Mississippi State (McCowan) and Texas ( White, Collier, Holmes, & Prince) don't see UCONN surviving those regular season games or advancing past those teams without a major contributing (starting) big.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On offense- simple, don't miss a shot, rebounding will be unnecessary.

On defense-Uconn has a lot of good rebounders, though undersized,

ONO did very well in the McDonald's against a lot of size and strength, and her new roommate out-rebounded her. Magan is a good rebounder.

I think ONO will be very effective as a sub, using her speed and jumping ability against winded opponents. Our AA forwards will want to show WNBA scoutsy rebounding prowess against top competition.

It would really be great if Camera could contribute.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For all the doubting Thomas' regarding the freshman this season, specifically Williams, a few things. Normally freshmen are NOT pressed into service and some of the greatest came off the bench (Taurasi, Sales, Abrosimova) for most of their freshmen campaigns. However, Maya Moore was a 4x AA. I think Stewie only 3. But Stewie was final 4 MOP all 4 seasons.

Point is I think CWill comes off the bench but earns starters minutes (meaning close to 25 MPG). Not sure she will be an AA but the point is there are UCONN players historically who averaged over 15 PPG their first seasons. Not saying CW will achieve that, but the pedigree is there. Question is - will she be in the argument for UCONN's Mt. Rushmore or will she be near the top of the 1A tier of players like Samuelson, Charles, Jefferson, Bird, Sales and Abrosimova?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For all the doubting Thomas' regarding the freshman this season, specifically Williams, a few things. Normally freshmen are NOT pressed into service and some of the greatest came off the bench (Taurasi, Sales, Abrosimova) for most of their freshmen campaigns. However, Maya Moore was a 4x AA. I think Stewie only 3. But Stewie was final 4 MOP all 4 seasons.

Point is I think CWill comes off the bench but earns starters minutes (meaning close to 25 MPG). Not sure she will be an AA but the point is there are UCONN players historically who averaged over 15 PPG their first seasons. Not saying CW will achieve that, but the pedigree is there. Question is - will she be in the argument for UCONN's Mt. Rushmore or will she be near the top of the 1A tier of players like Samuelson, Charles, Jefferson, Bird, Sales and Abrosimova?
Does legendary status get a player on Mt. Rushmore? ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Does legendary status get a player on Mt. Rushmore? ;)

Good question. It may qualify you for consideration, but I would think it does not guarantee admission. Since there are only 4 busts on the mount, who could she supplant to get on? What "legend" comes off? Who are the 4 on there now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Since there are only 4 busts on the mount, who could she supplant to get on? What "legend" comes off? Who are the 4 on there now?
My observation is no one here argues that DT, Maya & Stewie shouldn’t be on the Mount, but the 4th slot is controversial between Rebecca & Sue. So there you go - she just needs to beat out (or at least equal) Rebecca and Sue to be “legendary.”

No problem, right?

Carnac

Reaction Score

I know it's early, but I'm already on record as drinking the Chistyn Williams kool-aid.
I'd like to think I'm a decent judge of talent. I see greatness in her whether others do or not.

I wonder how far UConn will get into their season before the fan base realizes how special CW is, and that she's not your average freshman recruit. How many games will it take to convince the most hardcore critics? 3,7,10, the entire preseason? How many?

The "acid" test Christyn will face will come in the preseason, not in conference games as the level of competition won't be as high. What She does against the Baylors and the Notre Dames is how she will be judged, not by what she does against the ECU's or the Cincinnati's.

None of these mid-major programs have players ranked in the top 50 coming out of high school. None of these programs have an All-American on their roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m totally sold on the Legend. I think she’ll be our 3rd leading scorer, at about 15 ppg, but will be the spark off the bench. She’s more than good enough to start, but I see Olivia starting in a close call. I’d be surprised if the 5th starter is not Liv or the Legend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom