Fifteen colleges top $14 million in men’s basketball revenue | The Boneyard

Fifteen colleges top $14 million in men’s basketball revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
deceiving... as someone pointed out earlier, schools differ on how they allocate revenues to different programs.

Reaction Score
deceiving... as someone pointed out earlier, schools differ on how they allocate revenues to different programs.

I am pretty sure our men's program makes more than $14M. Our accounting method sucks and it shows we make less. This is another marketing issue our current AD needs to address ASAP. Rankings like this are good for marketing and we are missing the boat completely. I hope Warde get this fixed ASAP vs. sitting around monitoring.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure our men's program makes more than $14M. Our accounting method sucks and it shows we make less. This is another marketing issue our current AD needs to address ASAP. Rankings like this are good for marketing and we are missing the boat completely. I hope Warde get this fixed ASAP vs. sitting around monitoring.

u can chalk this up to the image probelm we have. we simply dont get it. we should be trying to pimp uconn any way possible. that means shift the books so we show 20mil profit and rank high on this stupid list for nothing else then pr/image. storrs leadership asleep at the wheel, good times...

Reaction Score
u can chalk this up to the image probelm we have. we simply dont get it. we should be trying to pimp uconn any way possible. that means shift the books so we show 20mil profit and rank high on this stupid list for nothing else then pr/image. storrs leadership asleep at the wheel, good times...

No kidding. We made $64M last year in total revenue with just about all of it attributed to FB, men's bball and women's bball. If you split it roughly 1/3 each, we are talking about $21M revenue for each sports. The revenues we reported to the public are something like $14M for FB, $7.7M for mem's bball, and $7M for women's bball. Where did rest of the money go? We allocate our revenue differently than schools like UL. That's a horrible mistake. Whatever tax benefits we got is peanuts comparing to the PR hit we get. Our school sucks at PR and marketing. This is not the time to sleep on this. I hope they get this fixed ASAP. We should be top 10 on this list easily.

Reaction Score

The article also says FB made $15.2M. Let's do the math here:

13.8 + 10.4 + 15.2 = 39.4M

Our total revenue was $64M.

64 - 39.4 = $24.6M missing

Someone please explain to me where $24.6M came from. Please don't tell me it came from soccer or something. UCONN obviously does accounting differently than many schools on that list. They need to fix that ASAP or our programs all look small time.

Reaction Score
Student fees and direct institutional support is a big revenue number.
So is licensing (i.e. royalties from branding).
Donations to the athletic department.

Is this really a big issue?
The only people this really matters to are ADs and Presidents, and I'm pretty sure they are all aware of the funky accounting methods people use.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The article also says FB made $15.2M. Let's do the math here:

13.8 + 10.4 + 15.2 = 39.4M

Our total revenue was $64M.

64 - 39.4 = $24.6M missing

Someone please explain to me where $24.6M came from. Please don't tell me it came from soccer or something. UCONN obviously does accounting differently than many schools on that list. They need to fix that ASAP or our programs all look small time.

I recall an accounting report from 09-10 that stated of the $55+ mill budget, something like 14% of that was funded by non-athletic sources from the University coffers (standard income like tuition and fees), and did not include licensing, etc. Part of that funding went to Title IX and intramurals. That would explain some of the gap.

Reaction Score
I was surprised to see so many Big 10 teams on the list. Although the top 5 includes UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and Louisville (and Arizona out West).

Reaction Score
image.jpg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Is this really a big issue?
The only people this really matters to are ADs and Presidents, and I'm pretty sure they are all aware of the funky accounting methods people use.

Well, the next time you see a national writer talk about false collegiate accounting numbers as opposed to what a cash cow the UL athletic department is, let me know.

Image. Image, image, image. It matters. It absolutely matters.

Reaction Score
Well, the next time you see a national writer talk about false collegiate accounting numbers as opposed to what a cash cow the UL athletic department is, let me know.

Image. Image, image, image. It matters. It absolutely matters.

Agreed. Image matters. Perception matters. UL's FB program isn't that much better than ours record wise, but the perception is they are much better. These things matter nationally. UCONN has a better basketball program on the court, but money and revenue is really all most people care about these days. Do most people outside UCONN know our women's team generate more revenue than half of the D1A FB programs out there? The answer is no. We don't do a good job selling ourselves as a big time athletic program. These things matter in realignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom