Fiesta Bowl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fiesta Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, the AAC will never be considered a good conference. So I guess we should just worry about UConn.

If our conference is better than the non P5 conferences, we will be considered a good conference. We won't ever be a great or very good conference. When the top 3 teams of a conference consistently beat P5 teams then that conference will be considered a good conference.

UCF beat PSU and lost by 3 to South Carolina. If they beat Baylor (now up by 14 in the 4th) UCF will get credit as being a borderline very good team. If they do it again and Cincy does the same and another team steps up and does the same. We will be in a good conference.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Look, I like you guys and respect your opinions. I just have a different opinion about this than you do. Rutgers/Pitt/Cuse were definitely not kings of their old conference and their old conference was definitely not viewed nationally as being good. CR is dog eat dog and if somebody from the B12 or ACC called UCF tomorrow, they'd pick up that phone, say yes, and hang up before anybody changed their minds. Winning the Fiesta tonight won't get UCF into a new conference over night, I realize. But it certainly helps their argument to get on an escape pod.

I think we all agree that UCONN needs to start winning football games in 2014. Wins over BYU, Boise, UCF, Cincinnati, etc would certainly help out our perception. Losses to Temple, SMU, and USF (again) would still suck big time no matter what happens to UCF tonight.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Look, I like you guys and respect your opinions. I just have a different opinion about this than you do. Rutgers/Pitt/Cuse were definitely not kings of their old conference and their old conference was definitely not viewed nationally as being good. CR is dog eat dog and if somebody from the B12 or ACC called UCF tomorrow, they'd pick up that phone, say yes, and hang up before anybody changed their minds. Winning the Fiesta tonight won't get UCF into a new conference over night, I realize. But it certainly helps their argument to get on an escape pod.

I think we all agree that UCONN needs to start winning football games in 2014. Wins over BYU, Boise, UCF, Cincinnati, etc would certainly help out our perception. Losses to Temple, SMU, and USF (again) would still suck big time no matter what happens to UCF tonight.

Let me just ask you a simple question, in order to test your beliefs on this thing. Do you believe that it's easier for a winning UConn team (it has to be a winning team, of course) to be ranked in the AP top 25 if our conference mates are viewed as weak? Or as strong?

It's really the simplest way to get at what I'm talking about, and I can't imagine for the life of me why some of you would answer any other way than reality. I respect you, so I know you'll get what I'm saying on that (and you'll answer correctly)... ;)

Dooley

Reaction Score
What was the Over on this game? By the looks of it, 100 seems to be a conservative number.

Reaction Score
If our conference is better than the non P5 conferences, we will be considered a good conference. We won't ever be a great or very good conference. When the top 3 teams of a conference consistently beat P5 teams then that conference will be considered a good conference.

UCF beat PSU and lost by 3 to South Carolina. If they beat Baylor (now up by 14 in the 4th) UCF will get credit as being a borderline very good team. If they do it again and Cincy does the same and another team steps up and does the same. We will be in a good conference.

I hear what you are trying to say, but them being a borderline good team has almost no impact on what happens next fall. We beat a team that won a BCS bowl last season. It literally did nothing for us.

All of what you are saying makes perfect sense from a theoretical standpoint, but in reality the whole trickle down just never happens.

Reaction Score

I think people are a bit confused. I don't remember the media saying we were a bad conference. They would say we were not as good as the P5. WVU and UL got credit for being good teams.

There's a difference when someone says our conference is not as good as the P5 compared to saying the Big East was a bad conference. Maybe I've missed it and the media said the Big East was a bad conference.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We beat a team that won a BCS bowl last season. It literally did nothing for us.

Because we were 5-7!!!

If we ended up 12-1, with that win, we would have been ranked well into the top15 and perhaps the top10. Northern Illinois, with that same 12-1 record, was ranked #23. Get it???

Dooley

Reaction Score
Let me just ask you a simple question, in order to test your beliefs on this thing. Do you believe that it's easier for a winning UConn team (it has to be a winning team, of course) to be ranked in the AP top 25 if our conference mates are viewed as weak? Or as strong?

It's really the simplest way to get at what I'm talking about, and I can't imagine for the life of me why some of you would answer any other way than reality. I respect you, so I know you'll get what I'm saying on that (and you'll answer correctly)... ;)

Of course strong. But I also think good OOC scheduling would help out any effort to being ranked. As it stands now, I'm guessing that UCF, Cincinnati and maybe Houston are viewed as being strong/decent. So I think UCONN needs to beat or compete toe to toe with BYU and Boise too. Plus go down to the Bronx and whip up on Army in front of 50K insane UCONN fans.

Reaction Score

The OOC records will have a far greater impact on that than our conference quality. It literally doesn't matter if our conference is a dumpster fire or not.

Do you realize that in one season, 5 of 8 BE teams were ranked in top he top 25. It may have actually been 6.

It literally did nothing for perception. Nothing at all.

So relax feel free to root against whoever you please, guilt free.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are trying to say, but them being a borderline good team has almost no impact on what happens next fall. We beat a team that won a BCS bowl last season. It literally did nothing for us.

All of what you are saying makes perfect sense from a theoretical standpoint, but in reality the whole trickle down just never happens.

If we had followed up our beating UL and then them beating Florida, with an 11-1 year and a BCS Bowl appearance vs Baylor and winning, people would take notice and say we were a good team.

I'm talking over a 3-5 year period. Dominate the conference, win your OOC game and win a big bowl game. We can do that in the AAC. Rutgers can't do that in the B1G.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Of course strong. But I also think good OOC scheduling would help out any effort to being ranked. As it stands now, I'm guessing that UCF, Cincinnati and maybe Houston are viewed as being strong/decent. So I think UCONN needs to beat or compete toe to toe with BYU and Boise too. Plus go down to the Bronx and whip up on Army in front of 50K insane UCONN fans.

Absolutely! We have to be a winning program again, no doubt about it. I'm with you there, brother! But like I said, if people feel like we are the MAC or C-USA, they will give us "Northern Illinois-type" respect....which is to say, no respect at all...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The OOC records will have a far greater impact on that than our conference quality. It literally doesn't matter if our conference is a dumpster fire or not.

Do you realize that in one season, 5 of 8 BE teams were ranked in top he top 25. It may have actually been 6.

It literally did nothing for perception. Nothing at all.

So relax feel free to root against whoever you please, guilt free.

The person to whom my question was addressed answered it correctly. However, you can continue to feel free to be stubborn about the reality of the situation, guilt free...because you don't root for Northern Illinois...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Then just give up on Uconn and cheer for a team in a P5 conference. That seems to be your only option for happiness as we seem to be in the AAC for the foreseeable future. As long as we are, I'll cheer for AAC teams to win because the better they are the better our opportunity to win big games, gain respect, go to bowls and, god willing, get to a better conference.

Reaction Score
Because we were 5-7!!!

If we ended up 12-1, with that win, we would have been ranked well into the top15 and perhaps the top10. Northern Illinois, with that same 12-1 record, was ranked #23. Get it???

And NIU still got to a BCS bowl. We even got to one, and we weren't even ranked! It doesn't matter, because college football is not a true meritocracy. It's a fashion show, wrapped in dog show.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think people are a bit confused. I don't remember the media saying we were a bad conference. They would say we were not as good as the P5. WVU and UL got credit for being good teams.

There's a difference when someone says our conference is not as good as the P5 compared to saying the Big East was a bad conference. Maybe I've missed it and the media said the Big East was a bad conference.

The Big East was the "Big Least" for as long as UCONN played in it. The Big East had one opportunity to place a team into the NCG and after Pitt beat WVU, it never got close again. That's not to say that the conference didn't have good teams. WVU always were good. Cincinnati usually was good. But Syracuse was terrible for most of UCONN's Big East tenure, Pitt was average, Louisville was terrible under Kragthorpe, USF was average and Rutgers was Rutgers. As a whole, it was always questioned whether it should still have BCS leverage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Baylor is undisciplined in every aspect of the game.

Reaction Score
Then just give up on Uconn and cheer for a team in a P5 conference. That seems to be your only option for happiness as we seem to be in the AAC for the foreseeable future. As long as we are, I'll cheer for AAC teams to win because the better they are the better our opportunity to win big games, gain respect, go to bowls and, god willing, get to a better conference.

I root for UConn. Not the AAC.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And NIU still got to a BCS bowl. We even got to one, and we weren't even ranked! It doesn't matter, because college football is not a true meritocracy. It's a fashion show, wrapped in dog show.

WRONG!!! At 12-1, Northern Illinois DID NOT get into the BCS bowl, because they WERE NOT ranked in the top16. They had to settle for the Pointsettia Bowl against Utah State! Do you get it now???

Reaction Score
CR isn't as much about what happens on the field as some of you seem to think.

After Rutgers/Maryland and Cuse/Pitt getting invited out to better conferences than WVU, it seems that much should be obvious.

Additionally, whether we get out or not, if we want to be considered a good program (regardless of conference affiliation) we need to beat good teams. But if we don't start winning games it won't matter what anyone else in the conference does. So we should remember that we all want to see UConn win.

Except Nelson, he wants to disband the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom