Field of 68 mt rushmore current coaches , sorry (this ones different) | The Boneyard

Field of 68 mt rushmore current coaches , sorry (this ones different)

Reaction Score
Field of 68- @RobDauster, Goodman, RC, and Fanta:

I know, I know, another rushmore. But the guys on field of 68 were discussing yesterday (todays show) who is on today's active mt rushmore.

From what I gathered, they weren't considering active coaches who had a legacy and career accomplishments only but no recent success.

Most agreed that Self, Sampson, Hurley were solid 3... but the 4th was a debate.

Few, izzo, oats were discussed. Do you agree? Do you have a different 4?

Reaction Score
And if you listen, same episode, hear AD Dave talk Hurley, Geno and ncaa travel

Reaction Score
Field of 68- @RobDauster, Goodman, RC, and Fanta:

I know, I know, another rushmore. But the guys on field of 68 were discussing yesterday (todays show) who is on today's active mt rushmore.

From what I gathered, they weren't considering active coaches who had a legacy and career accomplishments only but no recent success.

Most agreed that Self, Sampson, Hurley were solid 3... but the 4th was a debate.

Few, izzo, oats were discussed. Do you agree? Do you have a different 4?
RC bringing out Tony Bennett was a serious hawt take.

Reaction Score
I know! I think it's the ACC thing, obviously. Fanta said Scott Drew, but I kinda get that. They've been more consistent since their title than UVA

Reaction Score
It’s just stupid. Bennett has exited the tournament on the first weekend every year before and since his title while playing unwatchably boring basketball. RC thinks he’s a better choice than Drew or Few? C’mon. Some here like RC but his unabashed shilling for a mediocre ACC is just too much IMHO.

Reaction Score
It’s just stupid. Bennett has exited the tournament on the first weekend every year before and since his title while playing unwatchably boring basketball. RC thinks he’s a better choice than Drew or Few? C’mon. Some here like RC but his unabashed shilling for a mediocre ACC is just too much IMHO.
He had a Sweet 16 in 2014 (they were in MSG) and an E8 in 2016 (lost to Syracuse, lol).

He had a few good runs, then the big loss, then the title. 2014-2019: 1 Title, 2 E8, 3 S16 in 6 years is a good run. The 1v16 loss mars it, and his post-covid performance means he really can't be on this list.

Self is a no brainer
Hurley if we win this weekend is a no brainer, and probably on the list regardless (but two titles would set him apart).
Feels like Pitino over Samson to me, if we're doing actual accolades (2* titles, a bunch of Final Fours). Coaching acumen, he's definitely Samson's equal.

I'd be willing to pick those four. Until Few wins a title, no. He's a great coach, but great coaches have to win. I hate Calipari but if he turned it around (he won't) his achievements are at the top. Izzo hasn't been relevant for a while, but the Final Fours and title mean he's in the conversation.

That's gotta be it, at the moment, of coaches in the conversation. If someone other than UConn wins, Oats or Painter gets to be in the discussion (Keats...sorry, no).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He had a Sweet 16 in 2014 (they were in MSG) and an E8 in 2016 (lost to Syracuse, lol).

He had a few good runs, the the big loss, then the title. 2014-2019: 1 Title, 2 E8, 3 S16 in 6 years is a good run. The 1v16 loss mars it, and his post-covid performance means he really can't be on this list.

Self is a no brainer
Hurley if we win this weekend is a no brainer, and probably on the list regardless (but two titles would set him apart).
Feels like Pitino over Samson to me, if we're doing actual accolades (2* titles, a bunch of Final Fours). Coaching acumen, he's definitely Samson's equal.

I'd be willing to pick those four. Until Few wins a title, no. He's a great coach, but great coaches have to win. I hate Calipari but if he turned it around (he won't) his achievements are at the top. Izzo hasn't been relevant for a while, but the Final Fours and title mean he's in the conversation.

That's gotta be it, at the moment, of coaches in the conversation. If someone other than UConn wins, Oats or Painter gets to be in the discussion (Keats...sorry, no).

They mentioned Pitino as on a the all-time Rushmore and I think somebody even called him the Goat. But the criteria was more “right now” and guys like Izzo were dinged for their inability to adapt to the portal. Which makes the Bennett inclusion even worse.

Reaction Score

He had a few good runs, then the big loss, then the title. 2014-2019: 1 Title, 2 E8, 3 S16 in 6 years is a good run. The 1v16 loss mars it, and his post-covid performance means he really can't be on this list.

Self is a no brainer

One of them mentioned Pitino but I think they were specifically honing in on the best coaches in the portal era. That’s the reason why Izzo was also out of the discussion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom