FIBAU17 Quarterfinals: USA v Spain (7/27/18) | The Boneyard

FIBAU17 Quarterfinals: USA v Spain (7/27/18)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Us up 34:18 at the half. USA (45%) especially starters (37%) not shooting well. USA not generating many looks from deep. 0-2 on deep balls so far.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cooke with a nice spark for US 9 points a couple of steals.
Cooke playing really well in the second half demonstrating a lot of control. Perfect from the field so far.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pretty ragged play by US early in 4th. Maybe some changes needed.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not all that impressive a win despite the final score. About half the US shots were rushed or ill-advised. Twenty-plus turnovers isn’t what I’d prefer to see. Spain played decent defense, yet loses by 35. Go figure. US kept trying to force the ball into the post when Spain was doubling down on defending it. Glad our kids won.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the final was 65-31. Good defense, ragged offense. I think everyone turned the ball over. I like the starters plus Hailey Van Lith and Taylor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes these international games get a little sloppy. Credit the US for playing tough defense. Jordan Horston's drive to the hoop and reverse layup in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. Of all the players on the court, she just looks to be the most athletic, and it's not even close.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not all that impressive a win despite the final score. About half the US shots were rushed or ill-advised. Twenty-plus turnovers isn’t what I’d prefer to see. Spain played decent defense, yet loses by 35. Go figure. US kept trying to force the ball into the post when Spain was doubling down on defending it. Glad our kids won.

Agree with your point that Spain played decent defense. Not only were they doubling down and/or overplaying the entry pass into the post, they did a good job of getting their bodies and/or hands over the screen, which slowed down hand-offs and weaves.

Still, looked sluggish on offense and would like to see folks move harder on cuts, inbounds plays and coming to the ball in general.

But, like you said, won by 35 and that was never in doubt. Looked good on the break and this was a game where individual efforts paid dividends (Bueckers, Cooke...if I point out issues in one game, will tip the hat in another).

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i've watched most of the 1st quarter so far and what sticks out is h0w incredibly poor these refs are, for both teams. they might as well not be there

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sometimes these international games get a little sloppy. Credit the US for playing tough defense. Jordan Horston's drive to the hoop and reverse layup in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty. Of all the players on the court, she just looks to be the most athletic, and it's not even close.
Horston is over the top, but Haley Jones is no slouch. I want both.

Cooke is crazy athletic, but out of control too often.

Reaction Score
Horston is over the top, but Haley Jones is no slouch. I want both.

Cooke is crazy athletic, but out of control too often.

Cooke and Horston stated that they both want to play together. I guess that is good for schools that are on their short list.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Looks like UConn just lost out on Horston or Horston just lost out on UConn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cooke and Horston stated that they both want to play together. I guess that is good for schools that are on their short list.

That's not good new for us. What schools are on Cooke's list?

Reaction Score
That's not good new for us. What schools are on Cooke's list?

The schools that they have in common are Ohio State, South Carolina, Louisville, and Tennessee. I saw that Horston has a hard list but I don't know if Cooke has dwindled down her list yet.

Reaction Score

If they want to play together, Horston will not release her final 7 schools including UConn just 5 days ago. Unless UConn is also offering Cooke.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The schools that they have in common are Ohio State, South Carolina, Louisville, and Tennessee. I saw that Horston has a hard list but I don't know if Cooke has dwindled down her list yet.
Horston has said she wants to be coached up. I don’t see that happening at Ohio State or Tennessee.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cooke plays hard and defends. Not sure what use Ohio State has for her then.

Van Lith struggled against extremely aggressive pressure.

Boston again made lots of plays even when her shot wasn't falling. Two of her post moves and finishes were textbook, however.

Bueckers had a couple of highlight finishes and one huge block.

Reaction Score
If they are that close and their first goal is to play together, then so be it.
Horston is a beast and would be a perfect fit at U Conn. Obviously if she wants to be coached "up" she can NOT find a better place than U Conn. While SC and Louisville are good second choices, it truly ain't close. What guard / wing have either of their coaches brought to "UP" and I mean straight "UP"!!!
I don't see Cooke as a U Conn player for the obvious reason is she wants to play "her game and style". She's enormously talented offensively and defensively, but often out of control. I haven't seen Geno want this type of player and try and curtail her game, and even to get Horston can't see him starting now.
Therefore if Horston is truly set on playing with her longtime friend and often competitor I'd guess SC or Louisville will be both of their landing spots.
From her interview not long ago posted here, I wouldn't rule out her coming to U Conn until she signs her LOI!
Coming here she potentially could be up there or close to DT, MM or SB.
Go ahead Horston, it's all in your hands!
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The major problem with Cooke and Horston playing together is that ultimately, they both may end up being pg’s. Cooke is clearly a pg that needs to play at a school where she’ll have the ball in her hand a lot.

While I did not think so until recently, I now believe that Horston can play pg at the very highest levels of WBB. There’s still a lot of room for development, but she is quick, athletic, has a nice handle, good passer, ferocious on ball defender and great rebounder. She needs to improve her shooting some, but I’m confident that will come in time. Does that description remind Husky fans of anyone? This may sound sacrilegious to BY’ers, but I see Horston as a 6’1” version of Mo, who can also rebound.

If I’m Horston, do I want to go somewhere to compete with my friend for PT, or do I want to play for the program that has done a better job of developing players for the next level than any school in the history of WBB, with the added bonus that she will be tutored by two outstanding pg’s in their own right in Shea & Lister.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed at how much attention is paid to this talk. Package deals, these players want to play together, "friends of _____, " etc. We heard it last year with Williams and Collier, or was it Williams and Decosta. I forget.

These players want to pick the same school until it comes time to pick a school and then they pick a school based on what's in their best interest.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I love Cooke's offensive game. But every time down the floor on offense I held my breath against a TO and/or when she had to make a pass. Any pass. On defense, I held my breath when a Spanish player took her 1V1 or if she had to go through or around a screen. One thing Cooke will do is stick her nose in there for an offensive rebound. She's just a hard nosed player, and very exciting. But when she comes down the floor she thinks shoot first, and consistently makes poor passing decisions in traffic. Cooke sounds like a prototypical Tenn. guard under Holly.

Horston is the best and most consistent at passing in traffic. She looks a bit like Rennia Davis. Also if points were scored in transition be assured Horston was involved. I love Horston's demeanor. She just doesn't seem to get too high or too low. She isn't waving her towel when the USA scores, and she doesn't hang her head at a TO. Every night it's the same game. She's a Swiss army knife and I love her. This wasn't her best game. She missed a lot of bunnies. Yet you wouldn't know it from her body language. She needs a lot of work on that funky looking shot, but she has such great body control and adjusts in the air well. Sort like Diamond in that regard. I thinks she's the best pure athlete on the team.

Hailey Van Lith would often lose her mark on defense. She also had lots of problems bringing the ball up against Spain's pressure. Once in the offensive end she's a terrific and confident shooter. She has a good idea of where her spots are on the floor.

I think Bueckers loses her mark defensively more than any other guard, especially if she has to go through or around screens. Being kind of frail doesn't help in that regard. Bueckers has great body control and is the most consistent guard at penetrating and scoring around the hoop. She also has a sweet stroke and is 2nd best in transition and passing in traffic.

Among guards Fudd and Horston are most consistent going through or around screens. Fudd however rarely turns the ball over on offense. Fudd has IMO the best looking stroke. Horston turns the ball over just a little more, but not much. More so this game than any other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom