FIBA World Cup Commentary | The Boneyard

FIBA World Cup Commentary

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just thought we can have a thread on all the World Cup games.

General Thoughts.

1) The international game is just beautiful. The right mixture of teamwork, intensity and athleticism
2) I am always impressed with the refereeing in the International Game. They call only what they see. They do not anticipate fouls like ahem the WNBA

1st slate of games

China eeks out a win over Latvia 64-61. This despite the fact that China was horrible on the free throw line and Latvia had > 20 O. Rebounds. Latvia shot very poorly with Laksa being as bad as anyonme. I really do not see how she can make it in the WNBA. She is too slow and predictable. Gets blocked too much. China has some beautiful post play with world class entry passing

Australia wins handily over Nigeria 86-68 but Nigeria showed great effort and the lead was as small as 4 midway through Q3. Cambage was phenomenal 34 pts 12 Rb in 27 minutes. But petulant as always. It hurt to see Ezi. :( She looks very very good. 4-4 from in close. The Opals really started to play stronmg defense midway through Q3 with Whitcomb being a pest as always. They will be tough

Also love the format where group leaders go into the quarters directly and groups 2nd and 3rd
cross over an play to get the second slot.

2nd slate.

Korea vs France. Korea jumped out with phenomenal 3pt shooting but France soon played up to their potential. They play a nice brand of basketball.

Not really watching Turkey - Argentina. ??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Puerto Rico having the worst 1st half in the history of World Cup Basketball 48-6 against Belgium. Actually was down 48-3 with 40 seconds left in 2Q. And they had decent shots. Just missed everything. :eek::eek:

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hola de Madrid!

The part of the city I'm in is beautiful! The Neptune Fountain is out front, and the Prado is across the street. Today is perfectly sunny with the temp heading to 93.

I head to Tenerife early Friday for the Medal Round.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hola de Madrid!

The part of the city I'm in is beautiful! The Neptune Fountain is out front, and the Prado is across the street. Today is perfectly sunny with the temp heading to 93.

That sounds hot but not hotter than Kia Nurse who just hit 4 3 pt shots in a row (in 3 minutes time) against Korea, :D:D:D:D

OMG Just hits another 3 while being fouled. Announcer going wild.

Achonwa turned her ankle. Looked for a second it could heave been her knee. Very scary for a while.

Final Box Score. Kia has 29 and did not force anything. Upcoming match with France should be fantastic.

upload_2018-9-23_8-13-8.png

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Japan leads Belgium 17-13 after Q1. Meeseman only 1-6 with 4 pts. She needs to dominate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That sounds hot but not hotter than Kia Nurse who just hit 4 3 pt shots in a row (in 3 minutes time) against Korea, :D:D:D:D

OMG Just hits another 3 while being fouled. Announcer going wild.

Achonwa turned her ankle. Looked for a second it could heave been her knee. Very scary for a while.

Final Box Score. Kia has 29 and did not force anything. Upcoming match with France should be fantastic.

View attachment 34601

Our little Kia all grown up! And you ain't seen nuthin' yet. Thanks for all this great reporting @eebmg . I missed all of it yesterday. Real life chores intruded; what a drag.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Japan Belgium 68 all with 1 minute left. great game

Going to OT. Both teams had real good chances to win. Super intense. Meeseman playing better.

Japan wins 77-74 in OT. Belgium had a chance to win but a good post block at the end.

Meesseman just did not play as well as a WNBA All-Star should. Very passive imo.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And now turn to Latvia - Senegal and 47-47 2 minutes left in 3Q. Pretty cool.

Laksa who just keeps gunning makes a critical 3 to go up 67-66. Then both teams trade nice 2 pt shots. Senegal goes up 70-69 on nice play. Latviaa with 12.8 seconds to get last shot but misses open 3pt shot. Second crushing loss for Latvia.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hola de Madrid!

Hola de Toledo

I'm now cooling off in my room and found the France v Greece game on TV.

My hotel in Madrid is about a 15 minute walk from the Prado.

See you Tuesday!

Reaction Score
Hola de Toledo

I'm now cooling off in my room and found the France v Greece game on TV.

My hotel in Madrid is about a 15 minute walk from the Prado.

See you Tuesday!
That's a great part of town. If I just had time to do one thing there it would be visit the Museo Reina Sofía (8-10 minute walk from the Prado). I spent an hour just in the room with Picasso's Guernica (it has its own room). Heaven. All the Goya & El Greco & Velasquez at the Prado don't do much for me (I'm sure it's just that I'm not evolved enough for that yet).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France almost taken down by Greece. Tied at 69 with under a minute but could not make the critical shot. France escapes 75-71.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Puerto Rico having the worst 1st half in the history of World Cup Basketball 48-6 against Belgium. Actually was down 48-3 with 40 seconds left in 2Q. And they had decent shots. Just missed everything. :eek::eek:

Bizarre. Spain only leads Puerto Rico by 1 26-25 at half. Spain did sit some of their main starters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Japan leads Belgium 17-13 after Q1. Meeseman only 1-6 with 4 pts. She needs to dominate.
Emma shot poorly and scored "only" 13 points, but she had 18 rebounds,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's a great part of town. If I just had time to do one thing there it would be visit the Museo Reina Sofía (8-10 minute walk from the Prado). I spent an hour just in the room with Picasso's Guernica (it has its own room). Heaven. All the Goya & El Greco & Velasquez at the Prado don't do much for me (I'm sure it's just that I'm not evolved enough for that yet).
I'm staying at the Palace Hotel opposite the Neptune Fountain. The hotel and the entire area are gorgeous. Rick Steves says that the Prado has the best collection of paintings ANYWHERE. They also have Rubens, Titian, and Raphael. He also calls Guernica, all 285 square feet of it, the most important painting of the 20th century.

PicassoGuernica.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Television Schedule: Friday Quarter Finals 1:00 pm ESPNU
Saturday Semi Final 9:00 am ESPNU
Sunday Final 2:00 pm ESPN All Central Standard Times

I believe they are assuming the USA will be playing in those games.

Reaction Score
I'm staying at the Palace Hotel opposite the Neptune Fountain. The hotel and the entire area are gorgeous. Rick Steves says that the Prado has the best collection of paintings ANYWHERE. They also have Rubens, Titian, and Raphael. He also calls Guernica, all 285 square feet of it, the most important painting of the 20th century.

PicassoGuernica.jpg
I’ve stayed at the Palace too - it’s... “palatial” ;)

But better than being comfy in the cushy hotel was the neighborhood - the great museums and gardens and, of course, you must stop and chill with tapas and a beer in between each.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Besides France Canada, we have Belgium leading Spain 18-13 so far. If they win, Belgium will get the bye.

39-32 Belgium after first half over Spain. Meesseman looking better after missing some bunnies. 11 pts + 6 rb.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that the #2 and #3 teams in the world have to play tomorrow to make the medal round. Parity.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

PicassoGuernica.jpg
[

/QUOTE]
The bombs, the carnage, the horror; or maybe it's about bull fighting or a barbecue?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Japan / China knockout game was excellent. Two teams who play alot of motion, can drive and shoot the 3 Very close for most of the game but China wore them out with more size. Still Japan was down 10 with 4 minutes left and made a strong comeback to get it within 2 but not enough.

2nd game Nigeria vs Greece. Down to the final seconds, Nigeria holds on after nearly losing a double digit lead. 2 of the clutchest free throws after an offensive rebound seals it for Nigeria from 1 pt down. Both teams also had some horrible plays down the stretch. Nigeria is the next victim for the US in the Quarters and I think that game will be on ESPNU. All other QFinals only on ESPN+

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought I would piece together the TV schedule for the world cup for convenience. One thing I see that I would like to point our is the 2PM start for the US-Nigeria QF game on ESPNU is not live so people wanting a live watching experience should avoid any reports or see the live 6:30 AM feed on ESPN3.

upload_2018-9-27_8-18-35.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom