FIBA World Championship Stats | The Boneyard

FIBA World Championship Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was in double figures every game. Considering our balance, that was very impressive.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nice to see Augustus is a top USA player

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really every player on Team USA impressed a lot with the exceptions of Stewie and Sims. Both were mostly overwhelmed but the experience was incredible for them.

Of the other main US reserves, Angel was the least impressive to me. She seemed to not really want to play team ball at times, so much so in one case that Geno yanked her about a minute after putting her in. But Siemone, Nneka, Lindsay, and Candace all played really really well and did exactly what the team needed from them.

And the starting lineup for USA was perfect for who was on the team and simply terrific.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Really every player on Team USA impressed a lot with the exceptions of Stewie and Sims. Both were mostly overwhelmed but the experience was incredible for them.

Of the other main US reserves, Angel was the least impressive to me. She seemed to not really want to play team ball at times, so much so in one case that Geno yanked her about a minute after putting her in. But Siemone, Nneka, Lindsay, and Candace all played really really well and did exactly what the team needed from them.

And the starting lineup for USA was perfect for who was on the team and simply terrific.
I don't want to be overly negative, but I agree that Angel was the clear #10 player. I think she had a couple of good games, one atrocious game, and some so-so games. Too often, she was playing 1-on-1, being too aggressive on defense, or just playing out of control.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Whalen got some good "mentions" from the announcers in the championship game

Reaction Score
I thought Angel was okay during the tourney but her game is slashing to the basket and getting on the ft line. I thought she got clobbered a few times with no calls. These games are so much more physical. In the next two years her athleticism will drop a bit more - she is going to struggle to make the Olympic team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree that Angel was less effective than she had been at the Olympics. Her role on both teams was to come in and cause havoc defensively and slash to the basket on offense, especially in transition. In the Olympics she performed great, at the WC her aggressiveness on defense ended up with more fouls - the game she was yanked in I believe she got two fouls in that first minute.
Coming off the bench for any of these players is a really hard thing to do - they never have done it in HS, college, or their pro careers. Geno is very good at identifying their strengths and creating specific roles for them when they enter the game, but it is still a huge adjustment. Starters have a routine and have learned how to modulate adrenaline and emotion/excitement - they know when the center jump is coming and they can build for that moment. Bench players never know exactly when they will have to perform or where the score and the flow of the game will be when they enter and it is harder to keep/be at the right emotional level for that moment. I thought Angel had the most difficulty getting that balance in this WC, I thought she was generally brilliant in the Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree that Angel was less effective than she had been at the Olympics. Her role on both teams was to come in and cause havoc defensively and slash to the basket on offense, especially in transition. In the Olympics she performed great, at the WC her aggressiveness on defense ended up with more fouls - the game she was yanked in I believe she got two fouls in that first minute.
Coming off the bench for any of these players is a really hard thing to do - they never have done it in HS, college, or their pro careers. Geno is very good at identifying their strengths and creating specific roles for them when they enter the game, but it is still a huge adjustment. Starters have a routine and have learned how to modulate adrenaline and emotion/excitement - they know when the center jump is coming and they can build for that moment. Bench players never know exactly when they will have to perform or where the score and the flow of the game will be when they enter and it is harder to keep/be at the right emotional level for that moment. I thought Angel had the most difficulty getting that balance in this WC, I thought she was generally brilliant in the Olympics.
You pretty much nailed it with Angel, but the reason she was yanked in at least one of the games was because of an ill advised offensive play. She is not a guard, and went one on one driving to the basket against at least 2, and possibly 3, defenders, only to get stuffed. Zero offensive flow, poor decision, and Geno sat her butt down for the rest of the half. Lesson learned, I think, since she didn't do anything like that again...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It felt like Angel was trying to win her Olympic spot during the WC as opposed to be part of the WC team. Her individual drive overwhelmed her ability to be the team player needed. So she sat.

When Angel is good, she's very very good. When she's bad, she's awful.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You pretty much nailed it with Angel, but the reason she was yanked in at least one of the games was because of an ill advised offensive play. She is not a guard, and went one on one driving to the basket against at least 2, and possibly 3, defenders, only to get stuffed. Zero offensive flow, poor decision, and Geno sat her butt down for the rest of the half. Lesson learned, I think, since she didn't do anything like that again...

Angel entered the championship game against Spain in the 2nd quarter (after LW, SA, CD, and NO had already played) with the team playing very well and up by about 20. Within 2 minutes Angel tried (and missed) a one-on-one circus shot and Geno removed her during the ensuing timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom