FIBA U19 World Cup USA VS Italy Today 2:30 PM EDT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FIBA U19 World Cup USA VS Italy Today 2:30 PM EDT

Reaction Score
To me, watching Azzi play defense with more effort than most of her teammates and reading the offense well for proper defensive positioning is the most encouraging sign of her performance. The offense will be there but at UConn, defense is paramount to round out her game....

Happy to see what she is doing....probably influenced the coaches to give her more playing time.

On offense, she is deceptively fast with truly excellent footwork. Just have to work on that footwork more on the defensive side, especially when reacting to the moves of the opponent.

Perhaps, I should add here that since she a minor injury during the Summer Sessions that she didn't get enough work that side of the ball.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The US needs to stop taking so many 3s and get it down low to get the Aussie's in foul trouble.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
2 possessions in a row, Citron crashed the glass and got fouled while grabbing the offensive rebound, sending her to the line.

For a guard she really attacks the boards hard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The USA has been playing with a small lineup for most of the second half.
One big girl and 4 guards/wings.
Citron is the second tallest in the lineup for most of the second half.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Azzi hasn't played in actual games in quite a long time correct? It will probably take her a while to get back in the flow.

Reaction Score
Azzi had another quiet outing, but I liked she looked more aggressive. Someone noted her effort on defense, I actually thought she got beat quite a bit off the dribble. Deberry looked more comfortable in limited minutes, an assist, block and layup.
Citron, again, had an extremely impressive game. Her effort shows. She rebounds extremely well for her size and is good at drawing contact and getting to the line. I really like the way she plays.
Everytime I watch Betts, makes me wish we got her. I’m really impressed with her in the post.
Clark looked better, but still puts up too many shots IMO. But that’s what you get with her and any high volume player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Azzi had another quiet outing, but I liked she looked more aggressive. Someone noted her effort on defense, I actually thought she got beat quite a bit off the dribble. Deberry looked more comfortable in limited minutes, an assist, block and layup.
Citron, again, had an extremely impressive game. Her effort shows. She rebounds extremely well for her size and is good at drawing contact and getting to the line. I really like the way she plays.
Everytime I watch Betts, makes me wish we got her. I’m really impressed with her in the post.
Clark looked better, but still puts up too many shots IMO. But that’s what you get with her and any high volume player.
I did praise defensive effort but I also said she needs to work on her footwork in reacting to the moves of her opponent - that is, she should react quicker, move her feet and go with the opponent....but the effort and general positioning is there.

It's possible that since she was injured during the Summer Session, she didn't get enough work and was a bit sluggish

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did praise defensive effort but I also said she needs to work on her footwork in reacting to the moves of her opponent - that is, she should react quicker, move her feet and go with the opponent....but the effort and general positioning is there
Yes, you’re right her effort was there. I think if she just played a step back she would have been fine. She’s not quick enough yet to be playing that far up on opponents who still have their dribble.

Reaction Score
Cant find fault with Clark today since she is hitting open shots. Of course, they are open because they are 35' feet out :rolleyes:

Clark blew the game open in the 1st half. She also had the 2nd most rebounds and the most assists.

Reaction Score
Yes, you’re right her effort was there. I think if she just played a step back she would have been fine. She’s not quick enough yet to be playing that far up on opponents who still have their dribble.
I actually think she was implementing what she learned during the Summer Session but she did not have enough work done because of the minor injury that kept her in the sidelines for a while. I do think she will get there since quickness can be developed - speed is harder (for that, she has to change/elevate focus).

Reaction Score
Just watching replay now

It seems Azzi is starting better on offense today.....and looks more comfortable. I really, really like that shooting stroke.....so fundamentally sound.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom